“Just as good on my return visit from two years ago” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   405 Taylor Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #92 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Newport, Rhode Island
“Just as good on my return visit from two years ago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I don't understand any criticism of this hotel. The hotel is where it is--there are a lot of street people and professional beggars in San Francisco and I don't think there is an area of the city that feels completely safe to walk in. In my 4 days there on this trip I walked in every direction for about 3-4 miles out and you do have to be vigilant.

This hotel is just so welcoming to come back to. Everything from the doors that open for you upon arrival, to the coffee and tea being out first thing in the morning for an extended time, to a stack of New York Times or San Francisco Chronicles or Wall Street Journal on Friday--they really do it all very well. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Things work and if there is any problem at all, they fix it right away. I thought the wine selections--given that they are complimentary are very nice with baguette slices and tapenade or crackers--what more could you want. On my last trip 2 years ago I stayed 4-5 nights and did on this trip as well. I was there for business and did not want to stay in the hustle and bustle of the conference hotel. My only complaint would be that in addition to soy milk and half & half, there would be a leaner option with tea/coffee--like 1 or 2% milk. I think I asked about it 2 years ago and they accommodated me but it would just be a nice 3rd option and maybe you wouldn't run out of the others so quickly.

The internet worked great, the staff across the board is friendly and accommodating, the climate control and lighting were great--I loved the experience especially being away on business.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear ThankxgivingTraveler,

We love having you back! Thank you for the awesome marks there - we truly enjoy making our guests feel at home and I am so happy that we are your home in SF and we can't wait for your next visit; please reach out to us if we can ever be of personal assistance.

#mustaddthat2%milk!

Deepak Mehra.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Hoboken
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Overall this hotel is quite nice. Every day at five they have a free wine reception, and they offer tea, coffee and hot chocolate in the morning. The room was small, but nice. Each room comes with a yoga mat you can use, but I'm not sure there's actually enough space to lay it out. You have to pay for wifi, which I am never a fan of, but there are a lot of cafes in the area that offer wifi.

If you go one block away you're in a less-than-nice neighborhood. It's close to union square and Chinatown, but a bit of a hike from the wharf and coit tower. Even further from the golden gate and Castro areas.

I didn't have the chance to check out the gym area. I had a great time here but not sure I would stay here again, mostly due to location.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Jennifer M,

I am glad to read that you enjoyed our hotel, but sad that you didn't find our location convenient for your needs. Hopefully, next time you're in town, you can swing by and check out our gym and then pop in our restaurant for lunch.

Hamburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We have stayed at other Kimpton hotels and looked at this one last year for future stays. We are booked for 2 nights next weekend!! ( 5-5 and 5-6) and look forward to the usual helpful staff,
convenient location and good price ( for a big city hotel).
Free wifi is provided for Kimpton loyalty members.

My husband and I are looking forward to seeing you Sun!
Janet & David Prucnal

Room Tip: accept upgrade offer, emailed to you a week before areival.
Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jan P,

We can't wait to have you! Be sure to check out our award winning restaurant.

Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed in this hotel the second week of march. It is an average hotel, our room was kind of small but clean. THe hotel is right in the downtown area in the borderline of a bad neighborhood called Tenderloin. If you exit the hotel, you should always walk to the left and then to the right but never toward the back of the hotel since you can see the bums and kind of shady people walking around. There's a big Hilton around the corner so we tried to walk around there or towards the plaza. Honestly, next time would like to stay around the Fisherman's Wharf area which seems to be more touristic but safer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Samily P,

I wish we could persuade you to come back and visit us, but our sister properties in the Wharf can certainly house you the next time you're in San Francisco. Please feel free to reach out to me if I can ever be of personal assistance.

Regards.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed here while traveling on business. This was my first stay at a Kimpton Hotel, the service was outstanding! The room was average for San Fran, had a corner room with nice big windows, all the striped curtains were a little much and the bathroom could have used some counter space, but overall a nice room. Only complaint is I would not feel safe walking around the area alone.

Brookline, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I love Kimptons, and the Serrano lived up to the standards I've gotten used to at other Kimptons. The room and bathroom were on the smaller side, but a decent size for a city hotel and the hotel was well-designed with some very cool features that looked almost like an old theater in the lobby. I used the gym, which was small, but featured all the basics -- 2 treadmills, 2 elliptical, and free weights. There was a wait for the treadmill one day I used the gym, but everyone was courteous and made room for each other.

I chose to stay at the Serrano because of the price and location. I knew I wanted to stay in Union Square, to be in a central spot near the BART. Union Square can get a bit dicey as you move away from Market Street, so be forewarned, there are some characters out a night in this area, but I still felt very safe here.

I highly recommend requesting a goldfish at check-in! It's just nice having your own pet waiting for you in your room! In addition, the wine hour is a fun (and free!) way to kick off your evening, so I highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear eliszewski,

I am so happy to read your review, I am really glad that you took advantage of our amenities. We hope your next visit won't be too far from now. Reach out to us if we can ever be of personal assistance.

Solon, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Friendly staff, free wine reception each night(but wine was not good), clean modern rooms inan older/classic hotel. Vintage lobby that has been restored. An older hotel that doesn't has some of the charm but not the typical "aged" look of many older places. Would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Some roooms are cramped while others have good space so ask about this at check-in
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear OnAPlane2Day,

Thank you for the comments, I am sad that you didn't enjoy our wine selection. I hope you got an opportunity to try out our award winning restaurant, but if not, there's always next time!

Come back and see us soon.

Deepak Mehra.

Been to Serrano Hotel? Share your experiences!