“Great boutique hotel just off Union Square” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   405 Taylor Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #94 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Merced, California
“Great boutique hotel just off Union Square”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The Serrano Hotel is an excellent boutique hotel located in a historic building very near Union Square. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly and beautiful lobby. The rooms are on the smaller size (historic building, San Francisco -- expected), but very nicely decorated and comfortable. Great location if you want to see the city...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Jpagoadacruz, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Dan R,

I couldn't have said it best. Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again soon.

J.P. Pagoadacruz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I had a nice stay here. You can't beat the location, right in the heart of the city, near all sorts of great restaurants and dive bars. As with many hotels in the city, the rooms can be a bit small, but ours was clean and well appointed. The staff were friendly and helpful and the free wine reception in the lobby was a nice touch. I think it was a little pricey, but I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Head to "Shalimar" on Jones street for great, cheap Indian food, in a casual diner atmosph...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Jason D,

We'd love to have you again, come back soon - I am very happy to read your comments and find that you enjoyed your stay with us.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel blind on Hotwire base on location and star rating only. While my wife wasn't pleased with the hotel decoration or the size of the rooms it was very comfortable.

I must say that the best thing of the Serrano is its location. Everything you need to do or go is near by or just a hop from a bus, train or street car away.

If you want a lavish hotel with impressive rooms, and lots of amenities then this might fall short of your expectations.  If you're looking for a comfortable place to sleep after a long day of sightseeing that is near everywhere you might want to go then this is a nice choice.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear NetoA5,

Thank you for your review, we are certainly blessed when location is concerned and our historic 1926 building can be space challenged, but we are full of charm... just like the Titanic but I don't think we will be sinking anytime soon.

Come back and see us again soon,

Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is a quaint hotel. Not exactly what most American's would expect in a high-priced hotel, but very European. The room we stayed in (412) is quite small and the bathroom is large enough for only one person. The bed was not very comfortable - it was on the soft side and I felt as though I was sliding down the bed. The sheets were very soft and comfortable though they short-sheet the bed (flat sheets, not fitted), so my feet were always catching on the bottom edge of the sheet and feeling the mattress cover which was quite rough. The bathroom door is not hung level, so swings open and hits the toilet. The refrigerator made a loud noise, and when I checked it, it wasn't even cold, so I shut it off. There is no view except that of the parking garage from this room. Avoid the very over-priced honor bar - one small bottle of water is $4 and a bag of M&Ms is $5! Those are the two items we bought with our complimentary $10 allocation. They did have free wi-fi if you sign up for their rewards program - which we had to do twice because, though we signed up days in advance, when we went to sign in they had no record of us. Also, the desk has no way top look up your membership! The bar/restaurant next door is VERY loud and carries over into the hotel lobby. All in all - looks are very nice, but deep down, this is just an average quaint hotel not worthy of the prices/

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear marygraham,

We will definitely look into the issues mentioned, thank you for bringing those up as we want to prevent it from ever happening at Serrano. I hope you will come back and give us an opportunity to impress.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just stayed at the Serrano last week for 5 days with my wife and 3 year old daughter. Was very impressed with the lobby - really beautiful.

The rooms were pretty small - we had a twin queen I think - which would be fine for business travel but pretty small for a family trip. The room was nicely decorated, although the beds were a little soft for my tastes. Everything was in good order and well maintained.

Overall the hotel had a few bumps and scrapes (which prevented the 5 star review), but it was in good order overall.

The free drinks reception was a really nice touch, and the free wifi was excellent - although you do need to register, and the speed was pretty patchy at certain times.

I wasn't that impressed with the breakfast at Jaspers - the adjoining bar. It was Ok, but I thought it to be a little pricey.

The area is interesting, I would say it is right on the edge of a good into bad neighbourhood. If you go straight or left out of the hotel you are just fine. If you go right, it can get a little shady pretty quickly. That said, it is extremely handy for access to Union Square and beyond, so you have to balance it all out.

Overall, I thought the hotel was consistently very good throughout our trip, and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear jeepinaldo,

Thank you for your review, we can't wait to be your host again. Come back and see us soon.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This hotel was clean, has a very accomodating staff, comfortable beds, a great location and is quiet. I loved the morning coffee/tea and evening wine in the lobby. I could easily recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Jpagoadacruz, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear CMSinCO,

Thanks for stopping by and commenting about your stay with us, I am really happy you enjoyed it - and we'd love to have you back. Feel free to reach out to me if I can ever be of personal assistance.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Having stayed 3 nights at The Fairmont on Nob Hill, we moved here for 2 nights and loved it.
The location is great. Whilst a few people say its a bit dodgy I wouldn't hesitate to recommend and we found it fun and refreshing and so close to Union Square etc.
Staff were really great, helpful and courteous.
The room was on the 7th floor and a king deluxe. It was moderate in size but as we were travelling light it was perfect and clean.
The bar next door (Jaspers) is brilliant, we had such fun in there and the food is great also. We had some of the best service in all California in there.
We will be back...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear moleandbird,

Thank you for your comments, I am extremely pleased to find out you enjoyed your time with us. We certainly strive to make our guests feel right at home, and we hope you will be back soon.

J.P. Pagoadacruz

Been to Serrano Hotel? Share your experiences!