“Having a Birthday?” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Champaign, Illinois
“Having a Birthday?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I am not sure what problems recent reviewers experienced but on a second trip here this year and also as a regular returning visitor, I do not see any noticeable changes in quality or staff attitude. In fact I booked this trip as a birthday break and received a wonderful gift bag plus sparkling wine and desert in the restaurant downstairs. The Jaspers staff went out of their way to make the visit enjoyable and were extremely courteous. However, I would like to see a wider selection of wines at the evening wine reception, not all visitors are able to enjoy the limited selection on offer. Raid the minibar and free internet are a boon to business travelers.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Dear R_V_travel_11,

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your birthday celebration with us- and thanks for your kind comments!

We are always happy to welcome you back. Happy birthday!

1,177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Brea, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

A friend and I stayed at this hotel for one night. It was a girls getaway and we had a great time. The room was a decent size and the staff were friendly. They have a great complimentary wine hour each night. The only downside is the cost of parking and the neighborhood. Just one block away it gets pretty iffy at night. We had to put another friend in a cab just to go two blocks to her car at night because we didn't feel safe walking. Overall, I would stay there again.

Stayed April 2012
Dear rcopeland14,

Thanks for stopping by and commenting about your stay, I am very pleased that you had a fun girls getaway.

We hope that you'll be doing a lot more of those, it's always good to have fun! If I can ever be of personal assistance, please feel free to contact me directly.

Campbell, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

A convenient location for the theater district with all the quality and friendly service you'd expect from a Union Square hotel. Once you step inside the Serrano you'll never know you're in the Tenderloin. But still an easy walk to places like the Great American Music Hall (awesome place to see a show btw). And if you'd like to avoid the street shenanigans it's easy to find a cab. < $10 cab fare to Fisherman's Wharf.

Yes, parking is expensive. But this is San Francisco, parking is expensive everywhere. Either take the train in to the city or know that you're going to have to budget for parking.

Be sure to check-in in time to enjoy their daily wine reception in the lobby from 5-6pm. Great way to start off the evening.

Overall, I recommend the Serrano and will stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have less street noise. Check for discounts on king rooms and suites - you'll...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear chiz147,

Thank you so much for stopping by our Tripadvisor page and leaving such kind comments - I am thrilled you enjoyed your time with us. I will have to say though, we are still in the Union Square district, our neighbors in the Tenderloin wouldn't take us in... haha.

Hope to see you back soon.

Manager.
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

The Serrano was a great boutique hotel a few years ago, but time and neglect from Kimpton have tarnished its reputation. When I first visited a few years ago, the property was immaculate and had great service. The desk and bell/valet staff was great. I don't know what happened in those three years, but Kimpton just seems to have written off the property and the service levels.

The most helpful person of all was the doorman/bellman on the second shift. He was sharp, helpful with assistance and directions and overall a great person. The same cannot be said of the desk staff, who seemed overall uninterested in doing anything more than standing behind the desk acting like they were sedated. It took me several calls and I finally had to physically come down to take care of two problems in my room that the desk staff didn't even acknowledge until the valet reminded them to call someone. Sorry, but the Serrano is just not that large or busy enough of a hotel to have such a complete lack of attention to guest needs.

The hotel itself needs a refresh, and the room was small, dingy and quite noisy. The room itself was only slightly larger than the bed, and it felt like I was staying in a pop-up trailer most of the time. The hotel is in a dodgy area at the edge of the Tenderloin, so you could not go out at night unless you were in a group.

Overall, the experience was definitely not worth the money. The only reason I gave the hotel three stars was due to the great second shift valet. If I had to rate it solely on the desk staff, I would have asked for negative stars.

Room Tip: Tell them you want a room with a bathtub.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear DGfromDallas,

Ouch – sounds like we really blew it. I am so sorry! You should always receive the level of service you expect during your stay with us. I really thank you for taking the time to give us feedback; we take honest comments from people like you very seriously. It pains us to hear the not-so good stuff, but it helps us learn and improve!

I hope that you will give us an opportunity to regain your trust. If I can ever be of assistance, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Manager.
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I used to like this hotel, stayed many times. The restaurant went from Asian Fusion to a pub, unimpressed with the food when I stayed in Jan when they first opened, but haven't tried since so can't really comment. The hotel is small, rooms are tight, and parking is expensive- all typical for Union Square. A few of the front desk and bell/ valet staff are great, a few are mediocre. The wine reception was unimpressive (as compared to other Kimptons), very generic wine- go there on work trips and never make it back in time for wine anyway. No coffee maker in either of our rooms, but great coffee in the lobby so it is a good excuse to go down and mingle.

I had an issue on this last trip which will switch me to another hotel for my next SFO biz trip. We stayed at the Serrano on April 9th, I had two rooms (one of them a suite) and was given 2 x mini bar vouchers to use during our family stay. The woman checking me out would not let me use both vouchers- she insisted it was 'one voucher per stay'. I explained a few times, that my wife was in one room, I was in another (with kids in each), we had two stays (2 rooms x 3 nights) and I was given both vouchers (one for each room) on check in. She was adamant that I could only use one (despite being giving one for each room on check in). Very annoying.

I decided not to argue over $10.00- but it was very frustrating, and totally unnecessary for a return guest to have to deal with check in telling me one thing and check out refusing reason.

Room Tip: ask for a suite upgrade on check in. regular rooms are small
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear schnepper,

I am sorry to read that your last visit wasn't flawless, I really apologize for that confusion. Typically the Kimpton InTouch program only allows for one of those vouchers to be redeemed but after reading that you and your wife were splitting rooms we should have figured that out better; I will investigate it with our team so that this doesn't happen again. Please accept my sincere apologies and I want to thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I hope that you will find a chance to give us an opportunity to regain your confidence in Serrano. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can ever be of personal assistance.

Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012 via mobile

Good size room, great shower, helpful staff. very clean and modern looking. The location is right on the edge of a problematic area.

• Stayed April 2012
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We always try to stay at Kimpton's and are always impressed by their staff and room style/cleanliness. The Serrano, although in a really good location, was a little disappointing. The staff were not particularly friendly and the room we had was looking a little tired. We were able to get a special rate when staying and it is just as well, as we would not have been happy paying the usual rate for the room quality and service received. It wasn't terrible, but just not on the usual Kimpton level.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear CMB13,

I am sad to read your comments and find out that you didn't enjoy your stay as much as you usually do with Kimpton.

I hope that your travel plans will soon bring you back to San Francisco and you can find an opportunity to give the Serrano a chance to regain your trust. If I can ever be of personal assistance, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Manager

Been to Serrano Hotel? Share your experiences!