“A Nice, Historic Hotel... but Not the Best Location” 3 of 5 stars

Renoir Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   45 McAllister Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #183 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Palm Beach County
“A Nice, Historic Hotel... but Not the Best Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The Renoir dates back to 1911... but I found it a very comfortable place to stay. My room was spotless (I'm a little obsessive-compulsive. I even checked behind the headboard and under the bed. ) and well-appointed. In fact, the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've slept on in years.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They recommended good restaurants, gave excellent directions and generally made themselves available to help however they could.

The building is undeniably old. But they've done a good job keeping it clean and comfortable. The only real problem I found is the neighborhood. It's a couple of blocks from "nice." But I never felt unsafe - and I wandered quite a bit of the neighborhood - because the police presence was very visible. (The Renoir isn't far from a police station.)

Free wi-fi (in the lobby only) was a plus. More than once, I plopped myself in one of their big, over-stuffed couches and took care of my e-mail and other business concerns before I headed up to my room. The front door is just yards from a BART transit station, too. So this is a great location in terms of airport access.

Finally, the Renoir has a definite price advantage over the big chains. My room was barely half what a couple of the big hotel chains - both located within a few blocks, by the way - were asking. I didn't get the top-hatted doorman... but I saved a bundle.

I'd feel differently if I were traveling with children, but I'd stay at the Renoir again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Rooms that front on Market Street have the best views, but you'll get a lot of street noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Even staff at the hotel told me " You are not in a safe area " you have to walk blocks either way before you feel somewhat more comfortable, around the hotel it's all crack heads, prostitutes and homeless, I understand homeless and San Fran has a draw for them but this area is much more than that, smoking crack in the street with a meth clinic closeby is not good news. Hotel itself is just old and worn and things tend to work sometimes or never, elevators were never fully operational while I was there, they have two and most times only one worked and it was slow and stopped at every floor on the way down regardless if there were any people or not. Rooms were bare minimum and the furniture was old and shakey, windows had one thin pane of glass so being in that area the street noise was constant all night from doped up people telling you what the Lord is going to do to fights and emergancy vehicles are constant.Bathroom is well past it's best and you can tell it's old when all you have for a cabinet or any kind of space is one of those old wood frame wall cabinets with a mirror on it. I was there in late December and it was getting cold at night, close to freezing so I though I would put some heat on....not, there is no heat or air conditioner in the rooms but they will deliver a small portable heater to the room, just shake your head at this one. Restaurant was closed when I was there " for renovations " couldn't understand this as it was open for breakfast and I was not informed of this before I checked in. Website says it has a bar........NOT, there is a bar attached to the hotel which has nothing to do with the hotel and no room charges or credit or debit cards are allowed, cash only, oh and they only sell one type of beer from Mexico. They may show you a good price but I got caught with all the add ons, as I was there on business I had a car...$30 per day plus tax, I needed internet in my room $10 per day WTF and I thought free Wi Fi was just a given these days, local calls are all charged for by time as is of course any long distance calls even toll free number calls so even with a telephone card you got charged for the time you were using, I got caught with this as I am not from the U.S. and to use my mobile all the time was also very expensive. Would I go back NO and I would advise you not to go, spend a little more and go further into town or spend around the same and stay further out of town. At the end of the day my rate was I think $68 on sale but after parking and internet it was more like $110. It's a great city don't spoil your stay by going here.

Room Tip: Don't know if there are any good rooms, but if you do decide to go walk out to McAllister street...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The fact that this hotel is located in the ghetto is the least of your worries. The area is unsafe and we were constantly being hassled as we walked down the street. Crack heads are yelling day in and day out and are constantly taunting people who pass by.

Upon arrival we were met by a deskman who acted like he had better things to do than serve us. He was unenthusiastic and he looked dishevelled.

The rooms were dirty to say the least and we were constantly being bit by mosquitos. The shower head had nearly no water pressure, so showering became a real chore.

Being two young girls we feared for our safety and we were convinced that people were coming in and out of our room. One afternoon we left the lights on, as it gets dark at around 5pm in the winter time. When we returned the lights were off. Being concerned, we approached a hotel worker (middle aged, asian man) who laughed at us when we asked him to check our room for us. Not only that, he scoffed at us from then on whenever we saw him. We didn't feel safe or welcome.

By nightfall we were stranded in our rooms, going outside or returning to the hotel during the dark is too unsafe.

Unfortunately because of the hotel location and service we will not be returning to Renior - or San Francisco.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My partner and I have each done a fair bit of traveling, and don't scare easily. Other than Barking (London), this was the worst place we have ever encountered. The lobby is deceiving, and has the look of a once grand hotel.

The elevator felt unsafe, but I figured it's only the 5th floor, so we risked it. The room had an overpowering bleach smell when we walked in, we joked that there might have been a murder in there the night before. Since we were out most of the evening, and thought the smell might be gone when we returned, but nope...it was still lingering. At that point, it was too late to switch rooms, so we tolerated the odor for the remaining few hours we were there.

We left the windows open to combat the odor, and the street noise was loud. There was obvious criminal activity on the streets, and the sheer number of homeless, mentally ill, and drug addicts was depressing as we walked outside for the evening.

Towels? Small and threadbare. Coffee maker? There's a coin-op machine in the lobby. Wi-fi? I was quoted $10 a day or use the hotel lobby. Valet parking? $27 a day plus tax, which increased to $34 a day by the end of our one day stay. We asked for restaurant recommendations and were told about a taqueria and a hamburger place, neither looked safe. We walked another half mile or so to a better part of town.

The best part? We knew we wouldn't stay another night and asked for a refund since I paid in advance for two nights. They refused, and told me to call someone on Monday. I understand that San Francisco lodgings cost more, but $100 a night for this was a joke.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The hotel staff were nice and helpful. The room was comfy but it gets really noisy at night. The neighborhood is rather unsafe with a lot of hobos and beggars but they usually leave you alone. While crossing the road, we encounter a fight between two men, one wielding a screwdriver. But it's cheap and there is free wifi and hot water in the lobby. The breakfast is decent if you are not fussy. I wouldn't go back. I will spend a bit more.

Room Tip: Choose a room that doesn't face the main road
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed late September 2012 and booked it as it was one of the accommodation partners for Folsom St Fair. It's close for Folsom and handy to Market St for trams etc but is showing it's age. The lift seems to take forever - it is an old building, but it at least works. I had a room on the 7th floor and it was OK. Bathroom clean; if a little dated. Bed and Linen clean. Iron and ironing board supplied in room. Closet and drawer space fairly good. Wifi - have to pay for - and the speed isn't wonderful - it's adequate for email etc but not for downloading large files

Don't let the homeless outside on the street put you off - they are everywhere in SF and generally don't hassle the tourists - they don't come in the hotel and the Market St door is locked after 10pm at night so you have to use the McAllister St entrance. If you're worried about encountering the homeless etc then SF is not for you sweetie - go somewhere sanitized where your delicate sensibilities won't be offended. Or wear ear plugs if the street noise is too much - the noise didn't worry me.

The front desk is reasonably efficient - on the occasions I used them, although the town car they organised for my airport trip could hardly be called a town car - a SUV not even a luxury one. But it got me there and for a bit cheaper than a cab.

Pros:
Close to Market St and most shops
Very handy for Folsom St Fair
Handy to Civic Square, Union Sq , cable cars etc - within a few blocks

Cons:
No air conditioning
No refrigerator
No minibar

Would I stay there again? - maybe, if I couldn't get in somewhere better - I like air con

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have less noticeable street noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

where do i begin...... the hotel is in perfect location for proximity to shops and walking distance to almost anywhere. there it is, its only redeeming attributes. The hotel is surrounded by gangs and prostitues standing on every corner in plain sight with no fear of law and order or common decency. Also while we were staying there there was a guy shot near by. the cops chased a person into the premises next door with guns to catch them. I cant ever remember a time when i was so uncomfortable in my surroundings and in serious fear of my life every time we walked out the door. Will never ever go back.
As for hotel it was really old and needed serious regeneration. Rooms were small and very basic and insanely expensive for what it was.
Rooms so noisey that they provide ear plugs in room........
Wish i had some better stories to tell.........

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Renoir Hotel? Share your experiences!