“A terrific, stylish shopper's hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Save up to 20% with AAA
Ranked #24 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A terrific, stylish shopper's hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2007

A few years ago I visited San Francisco and I walked by an extra nice hotel and noted the Palomar name. Last month I finally got around to staying there.
From SF International Airport to the center of town you can take a cab, a shuttle, a bus or BART.
I chose the Bay Area Rapid Transit System (BART) as my method of reaching central San Franciso because all I had to drag on wheels was my carry-on bag. The fare was $5.10 or $5.20. It takes half an hour. As you go up the esculator from the Powell Street station you can see the sign for the Palomar. Can't beat that. Half a block walk and you are there. Map it online ahead of time.
I was early for my reservation but the staff got me directed to my room. It faced away from the street and over a glass atrium. It was also a bit cramped. I could be in any hotel in the country with this view. I went back to the lobby and asked for a better room. For $20.00 a night more I got a slightly larger room that overlooked Market Street, a main San Franciso street. Granted I did hear some street musicians through the window in the evening but stuff like this stops at around 10 PM. I had three quiet nights of sleep.
I can't say enough nice things about the staff. Want an opinion about a restaurant? You can get several. It happens that the historic, reasonably priced John's Grill is only a couple of blocks away.
As for the room again. It was clean.
No walk-in shower but a nice bath.
Nice, light cover for the bed so you can see how clean it is.
Kind of weird to have two desk chairs. Great if you are going to have a couple of visitors to your room.
Reading lights for bed reading could be better (as with most hotels).
Mattress was comfortable as were the pillows.
NY Times delivered to the door. At check out I was told I could have gotten a SF paper if I had told them.
I have to admit that the room didn't have any cutting edge design features like I have seen in Park Hyatts or Westins but it had a nice contemporay look and I felt it was a notch higher than the standard HIlton, domestic Radisson or Sheraton.

• Liked — Location for shopping.
  • Disliked — No walk-in shower for price range of room.
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michelle W, Guest Relations at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Hello Neighbor! Thank you for your review, it sounds like you and your dog had a great time here in the city. Wouldn’t a grass rooftop be a great idea? Love it! I will make sure to let our Chief of Engineering know, he will be in charge of mowing the lawn if we should ever install one! Hopefully you had a chance to meet our Director of Pet Relations, Maverick- a chocolate lab. He is on duty to make sure all of our furry friends have a great stay as well. In fact, he is kicking off his own program loving called, "Maverick Knows". He will be giving all of our guests (and their furry loved ones) the scoop on what's hot in the city. Labor Day is coming up, if you should find yourself looking for an escape, we are here to welcome you back!

1,301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Modesto, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2007

My wife and I stayed for one night at the Palomar after seeing Jersey Boys. We have stayed here several times and have enjoyed each stay. The hotel is well-located and well-appointed. This is a boutique hotel so if you want the large, overdone lobby stay across the street at the Marriott. The Palomar staff is friendly and helpful. For a great breakfast, go around the corner to Mel's Diner. You'll get a filling breakfast at a reasonable price. The hotel is very close to shopping and the Moscone Center. We highly recommend the Palomar for its comfortable beds, upscale furnishings and decor, and friendly staff.

• Liked — Attractive, upscale
  • Disliked — Small lobby area
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

I stayed here for 1 night with my boyfriend and his sister. We had a room with 2 double beds. It was pretty pricey but I think that was due to the Cinco de Mayo weekend. We arrived 1 hour earlier than normal check-in but they had no problem checking us in. We settled in and went to get lunch; when we returned, none of our key cards worked; went to the front desk and they had to re-scan/re-enter the info on them-I think it may have been because we checked in early and the cleaning crew went in while we were gone; very minor :)

The room was gorgeous, beds amazing and location was perfect.

The only negative I had with the hotel was the room service; they had a very limited late night menu (4 sandwiches or 2 soups to choose from). When our food arrived, there was no silverware for the 3rd person and no spoon for the soup she ordered. We also ordered breakfast in the morning which was delicious but once again, minor things were missing (no syrup for the waffle, etc).

I would definately stay there again but probably would not order room service.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room Service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Turlock, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2007

My daughter and I just returned from a 1 night stay at the Palomar, and we really enjoyed it.

We got a great rate from the hotel's website--$140 for a Saturday night (plus parking, which is expensive). The staff was really nice. When we first arrived, a bevy of 3 or 4 people ran up to help us. The staff paid special attention to my daughter, who's 7. The desk clerk actually encouraged her to jump on the bed, and the doorman jokingly chided her for not wearing a jacket. Despite the good service, none of the staff seems to particularly expect tips, and they seem genuinely thankful when they do receive them.

The room was quite large and attractive, and the beds very comfortable. We were on the 8th floor and had a very nice view across Market Street and up toward Union Square. The L'Occitane amenities are nice, too.

The location is really fantastic--BART and MUNI stop downstairs, great shopping is steps away, and SFMOMA and other museums are just a short walk away. I don't like this hotel quite as much as another Kimpton Hotel in SF, the Argonaut, but the Palomar's location is superior (unless you want to be at Fisherman's Wharf).

The room was quiet in that we didn't hear a peep from neighboring rooms or the hallway. However, at 8pm a band set up across the street, and it was quite audible, even through the double-paned windows. We didn't mind, but if you don't want to hear Jimi Hendrix tunes until 11 pm (plus the occasional siren and other street noise) ask for an interior room.

I only have a couple small complaints. 1. The bathroom has a pocket door. These seem to be popular in SF hotels, but I don't like them. 2. The lobby, although attractive, is small. Unlike other Kimpton properties, I don't think this one has a free wine hour in the evening. 3. I'm a Kimpton In-Touch member, but didn't get the usual welcome amenity.

• Liked — Location and staff
  • Disliked — Pocket door in bathroom
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

We stayed @ the Palomar for 2 nights in February. I read a lot of the
previous reviews, so had some reservations, however i was quite pleasantly surprised.

Rooms: We booked our room, surprise-surprise, via the hotel's own website, which was the cheapest (incl. expedia, priceline, corp. rates, via travel agents, etc). Our package even included 2 bottles of soda, popcorn and a $20 hmv coupon to buy cds/dvds. Our room faced the internal court yard, so it was quite quiet in the evening. In addition, it was quite large, well appointed and looked like it was in pretty decent condition (not like some of the other reviews). I can only conclude that the conditions of the rooms vary.

Location: This was main reason we stayed at the Palomar, since we were only spending 3 days in SF, 1 min. walking distance to Union Square is very important. Just check out where it is located on the map. Only complaint, which is a bit hard to avoid in sf, is some of the rif-rafts around the area, but I understand it's even worse closer to Union Square station. Anyways never really had any problems.

Service: It was okay, not great not bad. The doorman was extremely nice and helpful, however they took more than 15 mins to retrieve our luggage, which almost caused us to miss our transfer to the airport.

I would consider going back to the Palomar due to the convenient location. The service was acceptable. I have been living in Asia for over 12 years now, so I normally don't expect the service level in N. America to be anywhere close to those in Asia.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Very Small Lobby
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Neenah, Wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2007

We stayed one night here with our three kids in two adjoining rooms. The location is very busy, if you like being where all the action is, this is the place for you. It is right in the heart of Union square near all the shopping. The staff goes way out of their way to help you in every way. They treated us like royalty all the time. My kids liked the bellman so much they kept telling us to tip them more money cause they were so "cool". Beds are super comfortable if a bit small, why do hotels have double beds when a queen would fit? Bathrooms were very fancy. The only thing I did not like was the view, there was none. Our rooms looked into the office building next door, that was a litte weird.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — view
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Long Beach, Cal, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

My favorite in SF. I've enjoyed at least 10 stays at the Palomar over 8 years. The only reason I ever stay elsewhere is if I can't get a good rate there. It's often not cheap, but it's worth it to keep checking for a low rate. To be fair, a big part of why I love it is the location--right at the BART station, and 5 blocks from our HQ. But it's also because they really go out of their way to take care of their guests.

On my most recent stay, my day had gotten off to an awful start. Woke up to find my flight to SF cancelled, and I had to be there for an annual departmental meeting at noon. I arranged a replacement flight, but my cab no-showed, and I missed it. Another taxi to another airport, bad traffic, not enough time to check in; but I managed somehow, only to end up in the very back row next to a woman with a coughing brat in her lap. I got to the Palomar at 11:15am. I stopped in, figuring I'd at least drop my bag and use a men's room.

The clerk at the front desk asked how she could help me, so I asked if it were possible to check in, explaining that I knew it was very early, etc. While she was checking, she asked how my morning was going--so I told her the story. Well the room they had set aside for me wasn't ready, so she upgraded me. And I had half an hour to relax in a deluxe room before going to the meeting. Now I hadn't been to the hotel in over a year, and I had booked my room on their website at the cheapest special rate they offer all year. But I was able to go to my meeting in a good frame of mind because the Palomar took care of me. Will I stay there again? You beat--every time I can get a rate that won't alarm our auditors.

• Liked — spirit
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!