“Wonderful experience!!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Wonderful experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Hotel Palomar was our last stop on A surprise trip for our 40th wedding anniversary. The entire experience at the Palomar was just perfect. The staff was exceptional and went above and beyond any hotel we've ever stayed at. Right off Market St. and steps from amazing shopping.

I want to say "THANK YOU TO EVERYONE at the Palomar". Next time we're in San Francisco, I know where we'll stay. . .The Hotel Palmar!

Room Tip: Corner room with amazing windows.
Green Features: Recycling, water conservation; all environmentally friendly practices.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Indonesian first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The Hotel Palomar is a great Kimpton property located at 4th and Market, convenient to shopping in Union Square, museums, Yerba Buena Gardens, and the Moscone Center. It's also an easy walk to the Ferry Building (about 15 minutes), and about 5 minutes to BART, MUNI and the Powell Street Cable Car.

The staff here is friendly and helpful, the décor hip and cheeky in signature Kimpton style. They have made the best of what is clearly an older property in this downtown location. My Superior King room was clean and the housekeeping staff kept it that way during my week-long stay.

This hotel's convenient location has an obvious tradeoff: it can be incredibly noisy. The Dirty Habit restaurant/bar is situated in the courtyard that most of the guest rooms overlook. I had my ear plugs and didn't feel like requesting a room change--so not a complaint at all but a friendly reminder.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

A hidden gem in a convenient location. Lovely accommodations, friendly and helpful staff. Convenient to easy parking, and also, great for walking the restaurants, shopping, night life. Highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Oneonta, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This hotel was so convenient to Union Square, bus stop, cable cars, trolley and subway system. We took BART from SF airport in the middle of the night and the exit was steps away from the hotel lobby. The staff was so helpful with directions and information. We were there several days and the hotel staff seemed to know who we were. At one point, I was lost driving back to the hotel and a staff member talked me through the drive step by step and waited out on the sidewalk to welcome me back. This was way above service. Quiet hotel, clean and house keeping was really responsive. It might be a little pricey - but what is personal service and convenience worth? My time on vacation is precious. I want to spend it in the middle of the action - not getting there.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor for a quiet rooms.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My experience at the hotel palomar in sf was awesome, relaxing, and felt like the perfect getaway for me and my boyfriend. Celebrating our anniversary so glad that I picked this hotel. We stayed in the luxury spa king room and was worth it to pay a little more than a regular room. The whirl pool tub was the high light only thing I would improve is the beds. Felt little lumpy and springy but overall it was just one night and I still slept very well. I recommend this hotel for its superior staff service, location close to everything, and quality of rooms. Definitely would stay here again

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Palomar - San Francisco

Arriving at the Palomar San Francisco is a visual cacophony: a flurry of lights and street car tracks (are you in the right lane?) and milling San Francisco homeless.

The lobby is stark with a handful of velvet-covered high-backed chairs. The lacking visual and seeming discomfort here is made up for by friendly and efficient valet and front desk staff. Quickly enough the street is out of sighe, and the elevators wisk you up your floor.

Oddly, the FIFTH floor holds a restaurant/bar with indoor and outdoor space, of which I was told by a SF friend, at one point was "the place to be." I could only guess that outdoor, off-street places at which one may imbibe are at a premium in the city's downtown, which I have always found slightly seedy, even when the well-heeled are in the majority. It appeared busy. Which I suppose it good, unless, of course, your room faces the courtyard, which mine did.

UNLESS YOU WANT TO PARTY ALL NIGHT, and don't have an 8:30am meeting, my advice would be to avoid a room on the 5th floor. I tried to sleep, I did. But the voices were SO LOUD. [When I mentioned to the front desk staff on departure that they should invest in sound proof windows, the kind man assured me that the hotel was actually in the process of doing so].

And then sometime around 1am, and around 3am, and then again at 4am, it sounded like my upstairs neighbors were moving furniture, or maybe smashing their flat screen TVs to the ground. And I am usually a most sound sleeper.

Bed was a bit soft, but not horrible. Pillows were nice.

Room was fairly dark (I prefer more light in hotel rooms so that I can select between my black and black ensembles in my suitcase without difficulty).

NO SHOWER GEL at Kimpton hotels. Just bar soap. I asked at the front desk, and they confirmed that they do not offer bath gel, even upon request. They did offer the basics in Etro shampoo, conditioner, and a very light lotion. Also provided: "Made in China" cotton balls (really, there was a label!), q-tips, and a disposable plastic shower cap.

Shower took longer than I would have liked to warm up. Water pressure was mediocre at best (do we blame old pipes or the California water drought?).

Nice, large full-length mirror. Decent size closet. Decent vanity space on which to put your things in the bathroom. Bed linens appeared clean. A smallish desk on which to set up your computer and/or handbag.

Room's best feature: a nice velvet couch at the foot of the bed. Perfect for reading, or for chatting with a friend.

The restaurant serves breakfast, and it seemed busy. A not-great ham and cheese omelette and a delicious side of fresh fruit ran me about $22 (I deducted $1 off of my original $4 tip while I waited for a glass of water that didn't come until I asked for it, after I had finished eating, and then was not even offered apologetically).

Additional saving grace and nice service perk: when we went to check our luggage for the day at the front desk, they suggested that they just put it into our car for us in advance, and they did: GO best valet I have ever experienced!

San Francisco's an expensive hotel city. I get it. This place is no frills. I would stay again if I couldn't get a decent rate elsewhere. But it wouldn't cut it on my stay list should it be located in another city.

Note: parking is $45/night. Not uncommon for SF.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Like the location, the staff, the bikes and coffee.
The bathroom doors are positioned in a bizarre way that you see a toilet from your bed, and at night the light shines through around the door frame. Weird, woke me up.

Great staff, very friendly, extremely accommodating, even in ridiculous things.
Wine was truly appreciated!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!