“It's the small things” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“It's the small things”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

First you're greeted by men wearing navy blue with orange bow ties and women wearing cute orange flowers. It's a small, simple lobby with fruit infused water for the taking. My executive king furniture is nothing special-modern yet worn in. The shower is dated. But it's clean and quirky! Like the zebra print bath robe. I LOVE that every room has a yoga mat with a welcoming message! And your desk has a jogging map (which is great to use as a local map), an invitation to go on a morning group run, and the ability to request car or taxi service. It's 1 block off Market and 1 block from convention center. I'm pleased!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thanks for staying with us. We would love for you to join in our manager led morning runs in the future. It is a great way to see the city and start your day. In the next six weeks we are upgrading the furniture in our guest rooms so we will be even better than ever.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

This is the third time I've stayed at this hotel and I'll be back. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are nice and clean. The location--right next to everything, including BART and buses--but not on a loud street, is great. It is a hip hotel but the staff is very friendly, which you don't often find at some upscale hotels. The doorman bent over backwards when a mechanical glitch caused a delay in me retrieving my lobby-checked bags. He even arranged for a complementary car service to the airport to make up for the delay the situation caused. That was a very nice gesture and very indicative of the kind of service the staff at the Palomar gives. Highly recommend this hotel for business or vacation travel.

Green Features: They have recycling bins in every hotel room in addition to garbage cans.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for your loyalty and continuing to return to our hotel. We are looking forward to your fourth stay!
Monterey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We visited the Palomar as part of a landmark birthday trip for my partner. When we got there, to our surprise, we were upgraded to an INCREDIBLE suite which looked out on the courtyard. There were balloons, there was prosecco - it was just fantastic. They made us feel so welcome throughout our stay and were so helpful. When we needed to ship wine back to our house they made sure that it got picked up by UPS.

Yes, the restaurant was closed, but...it's San Francisco! If you can't find someplace amazing to eat nearby, you need to review your life choices. And if you were too lazy to leave the hotel, well, the staff were ready, willing and able to pick up food at 15 different local restaurants and bring it right to your door. Now THAT'S service!

Room Tip: The courtyard-facing rooms are mighty quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Glad you had a wonderful birthday celebration and enjoyed the team's service. Don't wait until your next birthday to come back. We'd love to see you again soon.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

The staff at this hotel was amazing.The free coffee service in the morning and free wine reception early evening was a real treat.We had the best sleep in their comfi beds and down pillows.Perfect location !!

• Stayed June 2014
Thanks for the positive shout out for the amazing service team here at the hotel! I love working with this team and I'm glad you enjoyed staying with them. Hope to see you back soon.
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I booked our 5 day stay at this hotel based on the reviews I found here for families. Yes, this hotel is hip and fun...LOVE the wine happy hour of which we took advantage of every night...but I especially love how they treated my children. We came there to celebrate my child's graduation from Kindergarten and also have a family vacation. The staff treated our kids very well. From the gold fish they delivered to our room for our stay to the managers dog they pet everyday when we came downstairs and the hellos the staff always gave us...they were wonderful. Further, Yesenia at the front desk went above and beyond to surprise my daughter with a cupcake spread for the family complete w/ a chilled ice bucket filled with bottles of milk and a bottle of sparkling apple cider for all of us to enjoy and celebrate graduation. Lastly, the hostess at Dirty Habit, the very popular restaurant lounge in the hotel, was exceedingly kind to us and made sure we were able to get seated in an area of the lounge where our kids could hang with us and write/draw their memory cards for their scrapbooks while we all munched on their tapas and the hubby and I enjoyed a couple of adult beverages before heading to our room to put the kids down for bed at 8:30pm. Additionally the chefs wife and their 3yr old son came by to thank us for coming with out kids b/c they try to be very welcoming of families. They even catered to my daughters requested for "non-squishy" strawberries and request for special eats.

Lastly, as note by many others, this place is in a FABULOUS location. Close to the Piers, Union Square...The Children's Creativity Center along with a big carousel, ice skating ring, children's theatre and an awesome playground w/great slides is literally about 2blocks away. A big Target, Ross, Apple, Old Navy, and a major high end shopping mall with Bloomies, Nordstroms and Tiffany's, is all right there. Finally every mode of transportation- Cable Car, trolley, BART, normal bus lines are within 5 minutes walk.

Hands down you just can't go wrong here. Book now!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor and faced the front of the hotel. Very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for the great praise! We have been trying to raise awareness among travelers that this hotel is great for business travelers as well as families. The location benefits you mention are truly wonderful. The Children's creativity museum is just down the block from us. We look forward to seeing you back soon. Please spread the word among your friends and business colleagues that we would love to have them as our guest too!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights with our two pups, and we love the staff, the room, the location, and their thoughtfulness for ppl traveling with pets.
They don't even charge pets fee like most of the dog friendly hotels!! Since i made a note that we are bringing two pups, when we opened the door to our room, we saw two dog beds, food bowl, water bowl, two dog toys, and two dog treats. Four of us were super happy :)
The location can not be better!! Union square is only three min walking distance, and staying this side of Market St. is even better since less notice and less crowd.
They have morning coffee and evening wine hour which also a plus!
We can only think of one little complain, when we check in on a Saturday afternoon (busy time and it was long weekend also), there was only one staff at the counter doing both check ins and outs and concierge job. Dont get me wrong, the service was godd, it just cost some pretty long wait time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the 5 Star rating! I also appreciate the candid comment regarding the staffing level during that busy afternoon and will follow up with my front office team to ensure better coverage moving forward.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

The service was great. The main issue I had was with the location of my room. I was on the 5th floor. My room's was facing the restaurant/bar. The restaurant/bar plays loud music until 11pm and starts again at 7am. I was here on business and needed to go to bed by 9 to be rested for the morning for the work I was doing. I couldn't actually sleep until after 11 because of the music. It was absolutely terrible.

Additionally, the doors to the rooms slam and every time a person entered or left their room, I was awakened by the sound of the door slam. And, I am considerably a heavy sleeper.
And, there was a massive hole in the wall outside my room where construction was being done. We could barely get through the hall because of the plastic and tape.

They don't have in room dining, but instead have a relationship with a neighboring bistro and it was perfect.

• Stayed June 2014
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thanks for staying with us. I am embarrassed and sorry for the work that was going on in the hall way in front of your room as well as the noise from the restaurant. Our new restaurant has gained significant popularity and we are working on improvements to ensure the guest rooms that look out onto the patio can enjoy the energy and ambiance while not being inconvenienced by it. We have a few things we are exploring. Of course, for your future stays, please feel free to reach out directly to me and I will ensure to pick a perfect room for you.

Been to Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!