“Another great Kimpton stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Enjoy cocktails for $1
Ranked #40 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Another great Kimpton stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We have often stayed at Kimpton hotels but this was our first time at Hotel Palomar and we remain impressed. The service here is great and the location very convenient to BART and all the fun happenings near Union Square and Yerba Buena Center. My husband and I were just in for one night to take in a holiday show. We arrived early on BART and planned to drop our bags, but we were very pleased to be welcomed to our room late morning, which was very convenient. We booked a less expensive room but it was quite comfortable although not overly large. Comfy bed made for a good night's sleep. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
I love it when I hear directly from our guests, that they would love to return. Nothing else makes a General Manager smile more than that. You are welcome back anytime and we'd love you to maybe even bring some friends too. I'm sure they would love our daily Wine Hour. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Reno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I booked two rooms here - one double and one suite. Both were clean, comfortable, quiet, and well appointed. The suite included a sleeper sofa and a HUGE spa tub along with a separate shower. Service was fast, attentive, and friendly. Parking is right under the hotel so the valet is fast. Great location with an easy walk to Union Square, the F line, and Trolley. This will be my go-to place to stay in San Fran.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
You are welcome back anytime! Myself and the team love hearing that our guests had awesome experiences while staying with us. Next time you are at the hotel, feel free to ask for me and I'd love to welcome you in myself. Hope to see you on your next vacation.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Excellent hotel, great central location. Minutes walk from the station if you're coming in by train from the airport.

Arrived at a hotel around 4pm after a short trip from Vegas as part of a 40th birthday trip. Just in time to drop our bags and freshen up before popping down to the bar for the fantastic wine hour the hotel runs every night at 5pm.

The hotel is centrally located and you're within a short walk to Union Square and some great shops.

The hotel staff are all really helpful and welcoming. The doormen and reception staff gave us some great recommendations to eat in, it's nice to go where locals go rather than you're usual touristy spots.

Hotel rates in San Francisco are on a par with New York now, although quite expensive the Palomar is worth the extra for its location and friendly welcoming service - and the wine hour each night is a great way to chill after a busy day sight seeing and shopping. The rooms are spacious, but bathrooms are a bit on the small side but the animal print robes and selection of toiletries make up for that.

Tips
Book trips to Alcatraz well in advance they sell out quickly - it's an incredible experience

Buy a travel pass as you can even use it on the trams as often you want for the duration of the ticket.

Great restaurants nearby include Fang a superb Chinese, so good we went twice during our stay! A great Mexican in the mission district which the doorman recommended excellent food and the best margaritas!

San Francisco is a great city and the Palomar is an ideal base to stay in

• Stayed September 2013
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
San Francisco & Vegas? What a fabulous 40th birthday celebration. I am very happy to see you and your group had a wonderful time with us. Our team really is great with giving out some awesome recommendations on restaurants and local attractions. Thank you for praising our amazing team. We will be sure to have an animal print robe ready for you next time you visit. I think a 41st birthday celebration at the Palomar sounds like a great idea! Hope to see you soon.
Cocoa Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I have many reviews to catch up on. But for now, Palomar San Francisco, lovely smaller hotel, staff makes it unforgettable.A glass of bubbly, chocolate and personalized welcome note was thoughtful and wonderful. The location is conventient located near all public transit, including trolleys. Theres isn't much extraordinary to discuss regarding the grandeur of the Palomar . The staff, the service and ammenities available when you're a Kimpton Loyalty member is well worth joining. Oh and the room staff, they were on it! Room was always taken care of and just a big thank you, wonderful, wonderful job.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
This just put such a huge smile on my face. Our team does a great job trying to take care of our guests and from this review I can tell they really did an awesome job. Thank you so much for sharing and I will be sure to praise our team for going above and beyond. We would love to welcome you back in the near future.
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

This is my preferred hotel when I vacation in San Francisco. Extremely convenient location in the heart of Union Square, close to BART, Muni, the historic streetcars and of course the cable cars. Staff is always cheerful and eager to help.

This was my first stay as an InTouch member, and was pleasantly surprised by the free room upgrade the gave me.

Four stars instead of five because of one incident. Saturday night, I was in need of cab. I asked the doorman to hail me one, but he said, "Traffic has been grid-locked on Fourth for a half hour. You'll have more luck on Market or Mission." It took me a half hour to get one on Mission, from where I observed traffic moving at a reasonable, non-gridlocked pace in front of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
I feel honored to be your preferred hotel in San Francisco. Being a Kimpton InTouch member can get you numerous benefits and I'm so glad that you were able to get a complimentary upgrade because of it. Hopefully your next vacation to San Francisco is right around the corner and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We decided to elope at San Francisco's beautiful City Hall and chose to stay at the Palomar as it is in a very central location and decently priced. Rooms were comfortable and a good size. Unfortunately we didn't get to enjoy the free wine hour as we arrived a bit late and there was no seating left. Didn't eat at the restaurant either but room service food was really good. Staff were amazing - always made us feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble. They were even lovely enough to leave a special surprise and hand written card in our room for when we returned from our ceremony which was perfect and really topped our day off!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! We are beyond happy that we could be part of your celebration. I'm so happy you had a great time with our amazing team. I have to say, I am one very lucky General Manager to come to work every day to work with such awesome individuals. Even though you missed wine hour, I have good news for you. We serve complimentary wine from 5pm-6pm every day at every Kimpton Hotel. Hopefully we will see you before your anniversary. Best wishes to you both.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Great location, incredibly attentive service! My wife thought she lost her wallet and we called the hotel and they went up to the room and located it and held it in the safe until our return. Joined their rewards program and received some nice perks. They have a free happy hour too!

Room Tip: Get the room with the deep tub!