“Great Hotel Close to Union Square” 4 of 5 stars

Save up to 20% with AAA
Ranked #24 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Great Hotel Close to Union Square”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed at Hotel Palomar in July for business. The hotel is great. One of the more comfortable beds that I have slept in. Room was spacious as well. I stayed on the 5th floor (same floor as gym and restaurant) which I thought would be a bit too busy but that was not the case at all - I actually enjoyed being on the same floor with these amenities. The staff was great and thought the iced tea/lemon water was a nice touch in the lobby.
The only small issue I had was that my room faced the corner of 4th/Market which was quite noisy due to the 'band' playing outside daily from 9a-5p...My reco is to ask for a room that doesn't face this corner!

Room Tip: Anywhere but those close to the corner of Market/4th!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Hello Tricky_ricky_toronto! Thank you for coming to visit us at the Palomar. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit. We know the city can be "lively" so definitely let us know next time so we can put you in a quiet room overlooking the garden. We hope to see you again soon! -Chris

1,321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This hotel is basic, but nice. Staff were really nice, but the hotel was really basic. The location was quite central, however not the best area to stay in from walking around. If you are looking for a cheap stay without any luxury then this is your hotel, I think there are many more in the city that would have a better location and ammenities. Restaraunt wasn't open while we were there, and didn't have breakfast there either.

Room Tip: Hotel is off the main street, so can be noisy!We have a room to the rear, which was't that loud.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Hello Travel_loulou! Thank you for stopping by for a visit. I am so sorry you did not get to experience the 5th Floor Restaurant and Lounge as they do have an excellent menu for Breakfast and Dinner. We appreciate you recognizing our friendly team, they are always happy to help get you where you need to go. - Chris
philly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights and I couldn't have asked for better service. I called ahead of time and asked for information on a rental car. Kelsey had a car reserved upon arrival and room was ready before checkin time. Other front desk staff went above and beyond in getting directions to sonoma, hwy 1 and resturant recomendations. Room was clean and updated. Will definitely come back! Great hotel in a great location!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Hello DD514! It is so nice to here you had an exceptional experience and the staff was able to take great care of you. The highway 1 trip is not to be missed so I am glad you got to have fun there too. Thank you for all your positive comments. - Chris
Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I chose Hotel Palomar based on my previous positive experiences with other Kimpton properties for a very special birthday weekend with 8 of my best girlfriends. From the time we planned, checked in, spent 3 fun-filled nights, and departure, the service was 5 star. This included a lovely bottle of complementary champagne and chocolates delivered to our room by Kelsey and hotel management. The rooms were modern, immaculate, had great city views, and very comfortable for all 8 of us. Kelsey and her staff paid provided extra services of arranging an incredibly delicious birthday cake for one evening, transportation, and restaurant reservations. Justin and Matt were very helpful with directions, activity, neighborhood, and dining recommendations. In all, it was the perfect weekend and the best hotel experience I can remember in many years.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Happy Birthday Besty B! So great to hear you had a fun time with your friends. Thank you so much for taking the time to recognize the team. We truly appreciate it. Please come back and see us again! - Chris
Boston MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed here for two nights for my Husband's birthday. Upon arrival we were warmly welcomed by the Bellman and Front Desk Staff. A Birthday wish along with cupcakes and wine greeted us in the huge two room suite. Bathroom was great. It was the quietest room ever. Great night sleep. We even had our own goldfish. An hour long wine reception got us off to a great start in San Francisco.

Room Tip: The King two room (805) was nice because you have a TV in each room and a door if one person wants p...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Travelbuddies109, Happy Birthday to your husband! I am so glad you had a fantastic time. We can't wait to see you again. Hopefully for your birthday next time! - Chris
Bellevue, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed for two nights over a gorgeous weekend in late-September while participating in the SF Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. The manager and his staff went above and beyond to not only make me feel supportive, but also helped me with some very unusual requests due to the walk and my departure to Europe right after my stay.

Hotel Palomar is in a super convent location, the beds are great, the rooms are a good size and the staff is quite thoughtful. I would recommend a stay.

• Stayed September 2013
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thanks for staying with us. I'm glad the walk went well and hope your following trip to Europe was equally enjoyable. You have my direct line....call any time you are heading back to SF.
Chris
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

It's wonderful, the staff is super friendly and it's in am amazing location! I wished they had different pillows (I like mine firm and theirs are soft down) but it's my own fault for not asking as I'm sure they would have found different ones for me.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for praising the beauty of the hotel. Sometimes it is easy to not recognize the detail of the building unless you truly take a moment and stand across the street. Their are amazing qualities of this building that the architect (back in 1906) put into place that makes it a gem within the city. Now about those pillows...indeed if you have a preference for a different pillow, we will gladly accommodate. On a bigger picture, we are also scheduled to purchase new pillows for the entire hotel in January 2014. Now....the real question...what to do with the old pillows...amazingly there is a huge fund raiser once a year where the city comes out for a giant pillow fight but that is another story (an "only in San Francisco" story)

Been to Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!