“Fantastic staff” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC
“Fantastic staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Travel throughout the world on business most weeks. Been to SF a few times and never really liked the hotels - but then this week l struck paydirt when l stayed at The Palomar. From the minute you pull up outside this hotel, till the day you leave, the staff are amazing. Nothing is too much trouble - advice, assistance, friendliness and general helpfulness. Incredible reception all round. Nice to stay at an hotel where the staff are genuinely happy to help you. Kimpton hospitality at its best.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Honestjon28- Can I be honest with you? I loved your review. There isn’t much I can add on, other than I agree! I say it all the time, regarding our staff- I believe we have some of the best in the world working here. From the Front Desk, Housekeeping and Engineers and the Fifth Floor Restaurant, our common goal is you. I am glad you felt the love. We look forward to seeing you back in the future. Safe travels all around the world, Chris

1,218 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The Palomar is my go-to hotel for my frequent work-related San Francisco travel. I have stayed here countless times already, and have always had an excellent experience. The staff really stand out for cheerfulness, attentiveness, and helpfulness. The property is classy (without being 'fancy') and exceptionally convenient to the BART, Civic Center, Museum of Modern Art, Yerba Buena, Jewish Museum, and more. The one beef I have had in the past was that the service at breakfast could be very slow, but on my last visit it was lightning fast. Even the fitness center, although it's pretty small, is quite well-equipped. (This is rare in boutique hotels, which usually if you're lucky have a tiny room with two elliptical machines and a rubber ball.) I particularly like the tranquil atmosphere of the 5th Floor restaurant at breakfast, next to a courtyard with burbling fountains. All in all, you can't go wrong at the Palomar.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Greetings, DK67858996 from the Palomar San Francisco! Let me be the first to say thank you for your loyalty. We have so many guests, like yourself that return time and time again. Our Front desk and housekeeping teams really get the opportunity to know you well, and treat you like one of the family. I am delighted to hear that every visit has been an excellent experience, that we are consistently keeping a high standard. If the morning fitness room is crowded, try meeting us in the lobby at 7am with our “Running in Motion” club! We look forward to seeing you again and again, Safe travels- Chris
Des Plaines IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at the Palomar while attending a conference at the Moscone Center. It's just a short walk, with many great restaurant options, and you're very close to public transit. The hotel itself spoils you for others. Very comfy bed, lots of extras, including a DVD player. I had to ask for a coffee maker, though; they sent up a nice Keurig. Great choice for business travelers. I had an outside room, and it was very quiet. Nice to look out at SF.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Greetings LadyJanePottle from San Francisco! Welcome back to the Palomar, it’s terrific to hear you came back to us a second time. With the Moscone Center being so close, we are literally a stone’s throw away. As a business traveler we know how the small things add up, location, comfort, oh and I do hope you had the chance to enjoy the complimentary wine hour! As you mentioned we have Keurig machines that we will send up to your room, yet the complimentary coffee in the lounge is to die for! I guess you can say we love to spoil our guests! We certainly look forward to seeing you again next year. Safe travels, Chris.
CALIFORNIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Hotel is located in perfect spot. Close to all attractions. From the moment we arrived all staff was extremely friendly. Parking was easy, yes you pay for valet but, it's normal for area. Pet friendly, even though we did not have pet, it was cute to see them come and go. Our room was clean, nicely decorated and quiet, even though we looked out over main street(city view). The price was also a deciding factor for picking The Palomar and worth every penny. I actually wasn't expecting it to be so nice considering it was less per night than most. Bed comfy, animal print robes fun, wish they weren't so expensive would have bought a couple. Nicely stocked with snacks & drinks. Room service for breakfast was wonderful and really cost not much more than when we ate out. I would highly recomend it. Did not eat at restaurant but stopped by to check it out looked like a great place and I head people giving it great reviews. Really can't go wrong.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello LUVNVEGAS from LUVNSanFrancisco! I am so happy to hear your first trip to San Francisco was a success; this is such a great city. I am also thrilled to hear our hotel was a part of that positive experience. I believe we really have a lot to offer our guests when they stay with us, the amenities alone I think are unique and well worth the value. The bikes, the coffee, the wine! The next time you are with us, yes, please try the restaurant- it will change the way you dine. Looking forward to seeing you back with us soon, safe travels-Chris
Reno, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

First, this review is based on the poor customer service I received from the Hotel Palomar, not on the property or the rooms. I telephoned the Hotel Palomar to inquire about a special conference rate after their sister property (Harborcourt Hotel) was sold out. I spoke to two different front desk managers, on two different dates, and received promises that they would telephone me back with the information I was seeking by the end of the week. Both men were very pleasant, but I never received a call back from either one so I simply booked with another hotel. This is completely unacceptable service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
HelloSmallTownGalReno, Thank you for your feedback regarding our property. I assure you I have shared your feedback with our team, and we will work to improve our processes. I sincerely appreciate you looking at multiple Kimpton properties as options for your conference. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, Christopher.Smith@kimptonhotels.com or 415-344-3301, I will personally make sure you are given the information you need. Thank you again for the review, Chris.
Masterton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights last week. Right in centre of city but straight down Market St and you're at the Wharf. We used their beautiful gazelle bikes and rode over the bridge, lunch in Sausalito and home via ferry. Room was fantastic, comfy bed and list of extras available was above the norm. Josh at front desk saved my life after I left my Las Vegas wedding dress in the wardrobe - it was sent to our Vegas hotel within 24hrs. And he gave us great restaurant recommendations,and made reservations for us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings Donna_Luey_B, first of all, Congratulations on getting married, I think it’s’ wonderful that Josh will always be a part of your wedding day! Sounds like you had a nice relaxing stay in San Francisco before your big day. Riding bicycles across the Golden Gate Bridge is probably one of my favorite activities, and the Ferry ride back you cannot beat that view! We are looking forward to welcoming you back as a married couple, maybe for your anniversary!? Safe travels on your journey! Chris
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Location is excellent, just a block from the BART station, but not noisy. (Then again, my room faced inward; I don't know what people's experience is for rooms pointing toward the street.)

Room was pretty generic, though good linens. Lots of odd things in the room (comfy socks, just $15 a pair! yoga mat (is this free?), zebra-striped bathrobes!), but on a more useful note, they'd replace things you'd forgotten on a much longer list than is usually the case for hotels.

Mostly, this felt a little too much like a formula than I'd have preferred: it felt like I was an actor in a very set role. But the place is nice, decently-priced, and friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hello melted_snowball ( love the name by the way) Thank you for your review. I will have to agree with you on our location, especially if you are taking BART in from San Francisco Airport, it doesn’t get much easier than that! Speaking of easy, you mentioned our “Forgot it- You got it” list. Yep, we will replace item if you happen to leave home without it! From toothbrushes to fashion tape, we got you covered… Oh and those zebra striped robes, glad you liked them, they are my favorite accessory at any Kimpton. Safe travels on all your future journeys can’t wait to see you again soon! Chris

Been to Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!