“Excellent service” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Eugene, Oregon
“Excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I was here only for an overnight, with back-to-back meetings. My travel agent suggested a suite at this hotel because it had a great living-room area. True. Very comfortable, perfect for my needs. The service was excellent in every respect, from check in to baggage storage (both pre-check-in and post-check-out). They even served soymilk at the morning coffee bar! Highly recommended. And pet friendly!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Greetings Ouija606! Thanks for the great review! I love to hear that we met all of your needs while staying with us. Your travel agent sure knows her stuff- our suites indeed have a large amount of living space, in fact they have 625 square feet of space. Now, that’s tough to find in downtown San Francisco. To touch on the soymilk, we know how important morning coffee is, which is why we made it complimentary and all inclusive- soy drinkers and all!

1,328 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed for a brief extended weekend to San Fran to see the Girl With the Pearl Earring exhibit. The Palomar was ideally located within walking distance of many restaurants, stores and museums. We walked to the Asian Museum which was an exquisite gem on our first day then arrived back in time for the wine hour. There is only a choice of white or red sadly not from Napa or Sonoma and one small appetizer which our first night was in the lobby. It was cold each time the door opened but Miss Pink the dog and other friendly guests made it a warm happy hour. The next day we had a lovely continental breakfast, included in our rate, that was very fresh and quick. Lattes and cappucino's were extra but worth it. We used our car the next day but again returned in time for happy hour on the upper floor where it usually is and again was pleased. The following day our breakfast was a little on the slow side as they were having a business breakfast and only one cook, and the two waitresses were very stressed to the max however for us it was not a problem. Our room six floor faced the street but was very quiet as well as our hallway. The bed was very comfortable and the toiletries top shelf. We met friends for dinner down by the embracadero and walked although there is plenty of public transport right on the road. Wifi is for free if you join the club definitely worth while as I would stay at a Kimpton Hotel in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4vrongo- Everyone has to have a first time at Kimpton! I could not be more delighted to hear your first impression was a great one. You described so many positive amenities that Kimpton offers. From the wifi to the wine hour, it’s the little things I think that set us apart from the rest. We do change our wines on a monthly basis, our Director of Wines for Kimpton, Ms. Emily Wines (yep that’s her real name alright) chooses our monthly selection, which we do use a lot of local wineries in the Bay- next time you visit let’s hope we are serving a wine from up north. Oh and Miss Pink….. our stand-in Director of Pet Relations when Maverick is on vacation… I am glad she made your night. Looking forward to welcoming you back to Kimpton, this time as an InTouch member! Cheers, Chris
birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed a few nights in early March 2013 Got a great deal on a suite - Expedia rate matched by Kimpton There was a suggestion that my room may need a coat of paint soon , but this did not detract from my enjoyment The Palomar is an excellent hotel - perfect location , helpful friendly staff , free fast wifi and of course the famous free Kimpton wine and cheese receptions I missed wine and cheese as I had other places to be , and never got to try breakfast at the hotel , but there are plenty of breakfast options in SF Whilst I was there there were some noisy all night roadworks on Market St - may be worth asking for a room overlooking 4th St , as did mine All in all , I would love to go back , and the Palomar is warmly recommended - and SF is a delightful city !

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hello there Flatworm, thanks for the great review! You missed the wine hour? Well, that’s just another reason you have got to come back! It is really a nice way to decompress after a day in the city, or relax before dinner. Hopefully you had a chance to dine at the Fifth Floor Restaurant- the burger will change your life. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your room and the city. We look forward to welcoming you back anytime! Safe travels, Chris
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed here for business recently. The front desk staff and bellmen were extremely helpful and accommodating. Loved how centrally located this hotel was to Union Square, shopping and dining. Great value for location!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SashaR- Greetings from San Francisco. I am so delighted to hear you had a great stay with us. From business travel to families visiting this beautiful city, we really do our best to give each traveler exactly what they need. Our location is pretty spectacular I must admit, yet one of our most valuable assets is truly our staff. I couldn’t be more proud to come in day after day. Definitely looking forward to seeing next time, be it business or pleasure! Safe travels, Chris
Natick, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Nice room, very helpful staff- excellent location- Alan at the desk was a great help in tracking down something that I'd left behind and Fedexing it to me at my next stop- Very easy to get anywhere from here- would definitely stay here again-

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there Newhipet- Thanks for the nice words regarding Alan! He has been with us for some time, and he continues to keep our guests happy day after day. I am one lucky General Manager. It sounds as though you had a great experience, and we certainly look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the city by the bay! Safe travels as always, Chris
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed over the Christmas holidays. We had a great rate for our courtyard-view room. If you are coming from the airport, take BART. The hotel is right near the Powell Street exit.

The wifi is free if you join their loyalty club: not cost to you. Most of the hotels charge for wifi, so keep that in mind as you search for a place to stay.

Such a convenient location. Nearby: shopping, museums, movie theatres, restaurants, and public transportation, tourist attractions.

The issue of parking seems to prevalent in the reviews of San
Francisco hotels. Parking is expensive anywhere downtown - a fact of life.
Don't let this determine your choice.

All things considered, this hotel is among the best.

Room Tip: Pick a courtyard room for a quiet stay.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Greetings TripAdvise52- Aren’t the Holidays the best time to stay in the city? I am so glad that you had the opportunity to stay with us, especially being this close to all that shopping! With the free Wi-Fi, I suppose you could have stayed inside and shopped online, although from your review, it sounds as though you enjoyed all that the city has to offer. Perhaps this could be a new holiday tradition! Either way, we can’t wait to see you any time of the year. Safe travels, Chris.
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I travel to San Francisco a lot and this hotel is pretty good if you are looking for something central and convenient. It is literally 2 minutes walk to Union Square and some great restaurants and shops. It is also on the door step of the Powell Bart Station so really easy to get here for the airport.

I always ask for a room facing the courtyard, yes you get a view of Old Navy, which is weird, but at least it is extremely quiet. For a Market Street location (complete with crazy people screaming symphonies at 2am) this is vital.

They are always extremely helpful here, they have sent on my camera when I forgot it in the drawer, they have delivered toothpaste and tooth brushes to my room when I forgot those and they serve ok coffee in the morning and lovely strawberry water in the foyer. The doorman Richard also arranged all my car needs when I booked our conference participants in here. Seriously, this was such incredible service and helped me immensely. Parking is expensive ($45) but then it is the city and you are two blocks from the start of 'dodgy' SF. You don't need a car here though. Everything is really in walking distance and the cable car to Fisherman's Wharf is one minute away.

Only one niggle I had about this hotel was that they got me a 'house car' to the airport once and it turned out to be $60. I should have guessed they were unlikely to have a complementary car to SFO, but I was a bit shocked when I got there and had to pay. Small gripe though for what is a smart, clean, friendly and well appointed hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ChrisSmithGM, General Manager at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Hello there Filmbird~ Hey, thanks for the great review. I will most definitely share your kind words with our staff. Our ultimate goal is to give our guests exactly what they need when they need it, and it sounds like Richard did just that! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our water and complimentary coffee—did you happen to catch the daily hosted wine hour? If not, then you definitely have to schedule a return trip! We look forward to seeing you again and again and again.
Safe travels,
Chris

Been to Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!