“Our favorite hotel in San Francisco” 5 of 5 stars

Enjoy cocktails for $1
Ranked #28 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bloomfield Hills
“Our favorite hotel in San Francisco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Palomar has it all - great location; spacious, comfortable, well lit rooms, with ample places for 2 people to plug in their electronic gadgets, to relax or to work; great amenities including complimentary local and national newspapers, coffee,tea or hot chocolate in the morning, and wine tasting each evening; a very friendly, welcoming and helpful staff. There is also a high end fine dining restaurant on the 5th floor.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inner court (garden) are quieter; rooms facing Market street are noisier but have m...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Michelle W, Guest Relations at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Hi there! Thanks for the kind review of the hotel and staff. We like to think of the Palomar as your home-away-from-home, and it sounds like we may indeed be just that. Whether you are traveling for business or leisure, we wanted to make sure we had everything today’s traveler needs and wants. And who doesn’t want hot chocolate when they are away from home? I am thrilled to hear you had great stay, and next time, you must try the Fifth Floor Restaurant, the Chefs menu will change your life ! Safe travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My recent stay at Hotel Palomar was perfect in every way. The location was brilliant for my trip which was a Christmas shopping mission. The hotel is in the thick of the shopping action and close to everything I required. After my 12 hour flight I was fortunate to be able to check into my room early which was very much appreciated. On reception was Lauren who was very welcoming. My room on the 8th floor was quiet, tasteful and spotless thanks to my meticulous room cleaner Jan.
I didn't eat at the restaurant except for breakfast but the staff I encountered were cheerful and efficient. I did attend one wine reception and enjoyed chatting with Josh Frizzell, Guest Services Manager who was knowledgable and charming in a professional way.
The Hotel ordered a town car for me to go to the airport and my driver Meena could not have been more helpful. I had 3 large suitcases and she kindly helped me while I wrangled a cart from the rack!
All in all the Hotel met every expectation and more, location, quality of room and customer service were all excellent. I will be returning with my family next July and I can't wait.
Do join the Kimpton In-Touch programme, the free wi-fi is so useful and you get a credit on your mini bar, I used mine to get a great fold out map of San Francisco but aside from the usual drinks and snacks they also have cd's.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Greetings from San Francisco! It sounds as though your Christmas shopping mission trip was a success! I am so delighted to hear we met, or even exceeded your expectations during your stay. Indeed our staff is pretty awesome, and we are so incredibly lucky to have them here at the Palomar. We can’t wait to see you and your family next July ( just remember to bring a sweater!) See you then!
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed and Palomar San Francisco last summer.
Overall it is a nice hotel. Our room had a lovely street view. The layout of the room was great, lounge and the restaurant very enjoyable. Unfortunately, I had to bring down my overall rating of our stay due to the “screaming” incident.
One night we decided to tuck in early and were peacefully asleep before I was woken up by a sound of someone trying to open the room door with a key. Assuming it is a confused guest who would try a couple of times and be on his way, I quietly waited for him to go away. Then to my surprise door opens and a guy with a trolley luggage enters the room.
As I was still half asleep, and as this chain of events was rather unexpected, I decided (probably not the most rational decision, I agree) that the best reaction is to start screaming. So I did. My boyfriend wakes up (of my screaming I am sure) and in sudden awakening shock started screaming as well. I heard his screams and feeling that screaming is now fully justified started screaming louder. At this point our midnight intruder, that just entered a dark hotel room that I am sure he assumed empty, and was greeted by screaming started screaming back. After few minutes of all three of us screaming, he apologized and left the room.
We laughed it off, and were ready to fall back asleep, when someone knocked on the door. It was a security manager, who told us that front desk checked someone else into our room by mistake.
Next morning we went to get some coffee from the lounge and upon return we discovered that our keys no longer open the room door. I went to the front desk and asked to fix the keys. Front desk lady reactivated the keys and commented: “Next time keep your keys away from the credit cards so they don’t deactivate”. “Solid advice” I said “However, this particular time, I believe the key problem is caused by Front desk checking in another guest into our room by mistake in the middle of the night last night”. “Weird” was the response.
“Weird” indeed. I kind of expected and apology…. But oh well….
I generally like Kimpton, because of the boutique feel and nice amenities, but since the incident I tried to stay away. I guess “Weird” was not a reaction from the hotel staff I was expecting in this situation.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Michelle W, Guest Relations at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Greetings from San Francisco~ Indeed that is an unusual situation and reaction from our Front Desk. I would love the opportunity to speak with you about your experience personally, as this is not a common incident. If you could kindly contact me directly at 415-344-3346 or email me directly at Michelle.Lewis@hotelpalomar.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Rockingham, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel lives up to the standard you would expect but what makes it such a enjoyable place to stay is the staff. Only a 2 minute walk to Union Square and right in the middle of everything you need downtown. The rooms were of good standard but most of all its a great location and even better staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hi there, thanks for the nice note on our hotel and staff! Our location certainly makes visiting this city so convenient. A short walk in any direction and you’re in the middle of the fun! As far as our staff is concerned, we take a lot of pride in making sure we have the right people on our team, and it sounds like we exceeded your high expectations. Can’t wait to see you back at the Palomar, safe travels!
Medford, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My hubby and I love staying at this Kimpton property. In general, we are big fans of Kimpton Hotels, but this one takes the cake. The customer service is excellent, rooms are plush and the design is amazing. We usually eat at the restaurant (possibly the best in SF!?!) but didn't have time this go around. The location is a HUGE bonus. Right where you want to be (corner of fourth and Market, above Old Navy store). We will be back when we are in the SF area, thank you for making this another great trip!!
Side note: we recognized the manager from another property in San Diego, she also remembered us... AMAZING! She was so sweet and brought us cookies for the Thanksgiving holiday. Love the customer service, did I mention that already?

Room Tip: View of Market street is best for us.....
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Well, we are big fans of you too! Thanks for the kind words about our staff, our Restaurant, and of course the hotel. You are so right, our location just can’t be beat! The shopping, the restaurants, and just about anything you need is right outside our doors. What a nice surprise to have an old friend who remembered you at check in, I am delighted to hear she made your stay even more fantastic! Safe travels, we can’t wait to see you again n in the future!
las vegas, nv, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

just back from two nights at the palomar in san francisco.

our room faced the atrium and was very quite, comfy bed.

hosted wine reception on the 5th floor each evening was very nice. cool space, alto we did not try the restaurant. coffee also served here in the AM and it was very so-so.

we don't know anything about SF where to go or how to get there and whoever happened to be at the front desk was so friendly and helpful, especially Doma. She sent us to Bluestems for dinner and you should go too!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Michelle W, Guest Relations at Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Hello there! You said it, our staff does know a heck-of-a lot about this amazing city. The front desk team makes it a point to get out around the town and brush up on the new (and landmark) restaurants, transit, and unique activities this city has to offer. I am glad we were able to help you navigate this city, with so much to do and see it’s nice to have the knowledge. Well, we can’t wait to see you back here, next time you’ll be pro’s! Safe travels.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Palomar for 2 nights in November. As we expected, this Kimpton Hotel property met our expectations. We were greeted by Kelsey Barthe at the front desk. She made us feel welcome and made our stay in San Francisco special. We took Bart from the airport directly to the hotel - one block walk. The hotel is located near Union Square. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Greetings from the Palomar Hotel! I am thrilled to hear you will be staying with us again, we absolutely love welcoming back returning guests, they become like one of the family. I realize our expectations of our guests are high, and I am pleased to hear that we met yours! We are fortunate to have such a convenient location downtown and to/from BART, which like you mentioned makes getting to and from SFO Airport a breeze. Again, we look forward to welcoming you back, until then safe travels!

Been to Hotel Palomar San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!