“Okay hotel, good location, a few disappointments” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Internet!
Ranked #43 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Okay hotel, good location, a few disappointments”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

First the pluses: A good location in downtown San Francisco, friendly and helpful staff, and many nearby dining options. Also, the elevator service is fast and frequent, something you don't always get at high rise hotels.

The rest of the story: The place bills itself as a luxury hotel, but I couldn't really see any difference between this and what I'd expect in a standard business-class hotel (e.g., a standard, non-luxury Marriott) beyond the large number of liveried employees in evidence. Where there were differences, they were not always in this hotel's favor. For example, the king room in which my wife and I stayed was barely large enough to hold the bed. (For comparison: After this business trip we drove down the coast to visit my sister in Santa Cruz, stayed in an aging fifties-style motel for $50/night, and the room was twice as big and offered plenty of space to walk around.) The bathroom door was not well balanced and would only stay open if propped--It wasn't spring-loaded, which I originally thought. We almost had a disaster when I started filling the sink to shave, walked out of the bathroom to grab my clothes, and came back to discover that the overflow drain in the sink didn't work. (I caught that just in time, as the waves were lapping the shore. And it wasn't just slow, but in fact plugged--Out of curiosity I gave it a few minutes to see whether any water would make it out through that drain, and none did.) Also, the hotel "gift shop" is essentially a closet stocked with chips, soda, and the like, for which you pay at the front desk.

For those wanting something exotic--I did see the claim that the place is Japanese-themed, but the only real evidence I saw of that amounted to a few small exhibits in the lobby. (The hotel restaurants apparently offer some Asian-themed cuisine, though we did not dine in them.)

And it's expensive. Besides the room rates, I noted people complaining in other reviews about the one-time $20 charge for using the recreational facilities, which has gone up to $25. And if you have the courage to drive in downtown San Francisco to get to this place, you're going to pay $50/day for valet parking, the only parking option at this hotel. Wireless Internet is somewhat more than at most places these days, $15.95/day, but it's a solid signal, one plus.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We stayed 4 nights here and we like this hotel for its location and convenience for Walgreen and food. This a beautiful hotel and makes it luxurious looking.

We stayed at a club floor with lounge and health facilities however we were little disappointed that the club service only opens for breakfast 6 am till 10 am and a wine and cheese session starting at 5 pm till 7 pm. Most club floor hotels we stayed, the lounges service are mostly open throughout the day for light refreshments and drinks. The pool is good as it is a indoor pool and there is also a jacuzzi pool with warm water. We enjoyed it so much after a long day tour and had a good soak in the pool.

The morning buffet variety is good with a mix of Japanese section and western with the normal usual spread. However they do not change the variety from day to day, thus it makes it really boring to see the same spread everyday.

The hotel location is good with Powell cable car station very nearby and many good shopping area nearby. We like this hotel and we most probably come back when we visit San fransisco again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I recently stayed at the Nikko while on a work trip and was booked in what was called a Petite Queen. I assumed that the Petite referred to the bed size. No. That referred to the room size! Petite means that the room is very very small. Unbelievably small. Almost closet like - But it was clean and bell service lovely.
The internet is 16$ a day! I couldn't believe it - as all of the neighboring hotels offer free internet - I did not even think of asking.
When I went to check out they tried to charge me for items in the minibar although I never touched anything.
Great location.

Room Tip: Take a high floor and only regular sized rooms. If you book on their website Internet is free!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed there for 11 nights. I would rate this hotel "very good," but for several unpleasant things that happened. The room was quite comfortable, the beds high and firm (the way my wife and I like them), the concierge quite helpful, the pool very pleasant, and the in-room food, from breakfast to pizza, surprisingly good. But:

1. I have trouble climbing stairs, and the hotel's main-entrance escalator kept breaking down, day after day; we had to walk around the corner (in the rain!) to a side entrance.

2. We brought a bath sheet from home that was much larger, and a different color, than the hotel's bath towels. We left it hanging one day, yet the housekeeping person took it away along with the towels we left on the floor, and it took a full day of calls before they were able to find it in the laundry: they kept saying "we found it," and sending up a baby blanket instead!

3. We carefully laid out the hotel's card indicating that we wanted new sheets one day; housekeeping took the card away without leaving a new one in its place, and failed to change the linens altogether.

4. When we checked in, they gave us a room with a different bed configuration than the one we had reserved (and which they had confirmed by e-mail months before). I thought it wouldn't matter, but on the third day it became clear that I couldn't get much sleep, so I called the hotel's reservations officer. She insisted loudly that I had never been promised a different type of room, but finally agreed that I could have one for the remaining days if I was willing to pay and extra $20 a day! Not having much of a choice, I agreed.

5. I called one day to ask for some tea bags and was promised them, but they were never delivered.

6. I had to call room service one day to get them to send out a breakfast menu card of the sort you leave hanging outside your door; they hadn't left us a replacement for the card we turned in.

I have to give them credit for fixing all of these problems (eventually), but the staff doesn't seem very well trained. And the hotel is not cheap!

Room Tip: Make sure the thermostat works (ours was irregular), and only the higher-priced rooms have "fre...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Carmel, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A great location - efficient staff - a rainy night and we were going to Feinsteins, which is in the hotel, which made it a beautiful and convenient evening. Believe wi-fi should be included in price - paid $60 extra per night for wi-fi, breakfast & higher floor - not a bad deal, but not great.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
NikkoGal, Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear mwolf5935,

Thank you very much for your kind words. We always love hearing from satisfied guests. I'm glad that you got to experience Feinstein's at the Nikko as well. It really is a lovely way to spend the evening, just as you said.

Enjoy your holidays.

Dani Ortega
Marketing Manager
Sammamish
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Clean, adequate, but nothing special for the money. Stayed here as part of a conference that was held at Hotel Nikko. It was extremely convenient. Aside from that I was annoyed that there was no free wi-fi at all in the hotel--not even in the lobby. Use of the pool or exercise room also required additional fees. When rooms are this expensive certain amenities should be included.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel was good. I thought it was too expensive but then again it is San Francisco. I liked better the Hotel I stayed previously on market street (see prior reviews); where I felt that the room was nicer (don't get me wrong the rooms in this hotel are fine). On the other hand I felt that this hotel was better located and was more convenient in terms of restaurants within a short walking distance.

Pros: Convenient, well located, clean, quiet, fast elevators.
Cons: Price; otherwise nothing.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Nikko San Francisco? Share your experiences!