“Strictly Business” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Los Angeles, California
“Strictly Business”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

If you are in SF on business the Nikko is fine. It's very clean, close to city center and it is comfortable. However if you are visiting for pleasure it just doesn't cut it. I requested two beds in the room when making the reservation but the hotel did not accommodate and while they offered a cot there simply was not enough space in the room. Given I was paying almost $400 a night this simply did not sit well. Having a pool was nice but it was unattended and there were dirty towels all over the place and some trash laying around. Lastly, the room service left a lot to be desired. In general the hotel is somewhat sterile. Given the city you are visiting you can do better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

2,140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Turkish first
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights for business in mid August. My company uses this as a preferred hotel but it was my first time here and was concerned after I read some of the reviews but was pleasantly surprised. I arrived around 9pm from the East Coast so was pretty tired. No line at check in. Was offered a glass of wine and did have a hotel rate that included internet and fitness center so to other reviewers I do not think the wine had anything to do with the price inclusions. I found the room to be very nice - king guest room. Typical of a modernized hotel with the white bedding, very basic lines in the room for desks, furniture, etc. Very clean and kept that way by housekeeping each day. It is in a great location - actual Starbucks connected to bottom of hotel (not just a place that serves Starbucks) and within a block or two of a Walgreens that is more like a city supermarket. The office I was working in was in Oakland and BART was extremely convenient. Powell St station is an easy 3 block walk and commute to Oakland was about 20 min. Didn't take BART to airport bc my bag was too heavy to get around so taxi was about $45 one way. Very nice. Staff at hotel were all very helpful. Bellmen were great as was concierge. Ate at the hotel restaurant one night and found it very nice. A bit pricey like a typical hotel restaurant but great service. I was very pleased with this hotel and would definitely stay here again. (As a fyi, I stayed at a (very nice) Hampton Inn & Suites in Saratoga, NY in July that cost more per night than the rate I got for this hotel in San Fran so I found it very reasonable).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
NikkoGal, Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Hello ngl,

Thank you for your recent review and for staying with us. We are glad that your company chose us as a preferred hotel. We are delighted that you had such a great experience and that you will return again.. Your comments are very important to us. I will deliver them to bellmen and concierge department. Also thank for recognizing our restaurant ANZU.

We hope to see your again soon.

Best wishes,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel before. It's in a great location, clean and a good value for San Francisico. The staff is always courteous and helpful. We usually just take a taxi in so don't pay much attention to how we get there. However this time we rented a car with a hertz never-lost. Well guess what we got lost! We called the hotel to get directions. That is where Reggie came in. He talked us in like an air traffic controller helping a disabled plane. He even stood in middle of the street to wave us into safe habor! That is customer service above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you, Reggie, for giving us a good story to tell our grandchildren.

• Stayed August 2013
Hello jersygirl3,

Thank you for the five circle review! We love comments like yours. Reggie is indeed a star! Thank you for recognizing his caring efforts. I have forwarded your kind words to Reggie as well as the rest of the executive team. Reading reviews like yours encourage us to work harder to provide excellent service to our guests

Thank you again for staying with us and please come back again!

Best Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

For the money we paid I was disappointed in the rooms they were a bit outdated, overall service was good and hotel close to the shops in the city centre, but be aware you have to pay for wifi which should be included

• Stayed July 2013
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This place has nice photos, but I found the layout to be weird and ugly once I arrived. The room was ok, nothing great. You get nickle and dimed as you have to pay for internet and the health club. There are cheaper hotels in the area that offer these things for free. Plus, I received an over charge of $500 upon checkout (this was later reversed) which caused issues to my banking.

Overall, I just felt that this place was way overpriced (I paid about $200/night) and overrated. I would have still felt this way even without the billing error.

Pluses are location, bed was comfy,

Don't waste your time. If you don't mind a little noise(ambiance) I would recommend the Grant Plaza Hotel. It's half as much and the rooms were just as nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hello unicornrodeo,

Thank you for your review. We take our guests comments seriously. All of our fees are found on the FAQ page of our website. Some guests prefer lower room rates without amenities and other guests prefer to purchase packages which include the amenities. On your next visit I suggest you purchase one of our value added packages.

Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I booked this hotel after finding a nice discount (note: relatively speaking given all the other 4+star San Fran hotels cost a fortune in summer). Never heard of this brand, which makes sense since they don't have many locations outside Asia/Japan.

Granted, I had somewhat lukewarm expectation for this hotel (unrecognized brand/ fairly high price I still had to pay), I was blown away by the experience I had at this hotel.

What I didn't like
Room size- petite queen room is truly a petite queen. The room was packed after a queen size bed.

What I liked
Hotel Interior- The hotel has that feel/look that's distinctively different from other major hotel brands I've seen at comparable price range. My gf was impressed.

Location- The hotel sits right by Union Sq and Cable car which should appeal to tourists/shoppers. For me, it was nice to know that we are right in the center and still close to caltrain station.

Service- best part about this hotel. I wanted to surprise my gf with flower and birthday cake, and multiple people from concierge desk to reception helped me planning a surprise event. Absolutely delighted by the level of service/dedication I saw. It also helped me a lot that you can reach their reception/concierge via text msgs (which was responded promptly).

Definitely staying here again when I'm stopping by San Fran.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NikkoGal, Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hello Christopher_C_Chung,

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and our staff and amenities made your stay delightful. As for the room size, may I suggest that during your next trip book the deluxe king room through our website, which will better fit your expectations and also provide you free wifi access during your stay.

Thank you so much for your time and we would love to welcome you back again soon!

Warm Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

A great stay in a very clean and modern decorated hotel. Close to everything including market street and union square. I come to San Francisco all the time and sometimes it is hard to find a good hotel reasonably priced. Nikko meets all my expectations and I hope to stay there again. I booked on hotles.com post pay and got great service from the front desk. If you stay on a high floor you will get great views of the city. I would stay there again for sure. Hotel is very quiet and you dont hear neighbors. There is also a cool looking bar at lobby level. There is a Starbucks in the lobby for convenience. It is also very convenient for business as there are always taxis right there.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hello MonsieurPhilippe,

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad to see that Nikko satisfied al your expectations and you will be staying with us again. May I suggest that when you planning for you next trip to San Francisco please book through our hotel’s website in order to receive benefit such like complementary wifi access.

Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Warm Regards,

Marcia Striffeler

Been to Hotel Nikko San Francisco? Share your experiences!