“Nice hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Karlsruhe
“Nice hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Nice Hotel with stunning views over San Francisco! Service was fast and friendly. Just be careful at the beginning not to give your luggage to the waiting bell men: they wont tranfer your luggage to your room but just store it! But beside this, I recommend the hotel for a stay in San Francisco.

2,151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Turkish first
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I had the opportunity to get away for time alone -- to choose a fabulous vacation for myself. I quickly chose to vacation to San Francisco, where I knew I would be able to see a lot within a short period of time. After several searches on the computer, I found my "dream" hotel, "Nikko San Francisco!" it was in the heart of the city - Union Square!
My stay was fabulous!!! I chose one of the top floors, to have the incredible view, and that I did!!! The hotel was beautiful, with bright colors, that were modernly displayed with special lighting. The simplicity and sharp designs give a sense of serenity and elegance to the hotel. The atmosphere was always peaceful. The hotel was immaculate, from the beautifully designed rooms (with a mini entertainment area) to the facilities: gym and pool area. As for their Anzu Restaurant, so stunningly arranged, with such a delicious gourmet and spread of food, it was wonderful! The servers, from Amber to William, and Peter......were so friendly and personable!! The morning buffets started each day perfectly! I could not have chosen a better hotel. I will return to Nikko with my next visit!! It was a dream vacation!! ~Nikko lover from Southern Cal!

Room Tip: If you want a beautiful and serene place in the heart of San Francisco, stay at Nikko! I would opt...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
NikkoGal, Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Jeni32530,
We are glad to hear that you got to utilize the different amenities we have to offer. I loved reading your review and will be sure to pass this review to our staff at Anzu. We're touched to hear that our hotel has become your dream hotel.
Be sure to keep in touch with us on facebook.com/hotelnikko for updates, city deals, and more!
Yours sincerely,
NEW JERSEY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was our first hotel on our journey down the PCH. Great location..within walking distance to North Beach.. will take you through china town which is a great walk and some nice shopping. The valet process was a bit confusing because they also run an enterprise office at this location but quickly resolved. The front desk associate who checked us in was very helpful and upgraded us to a room that included access to the Imperial Room.. free wine and cheese and breakfast in the morning a must have! Had a drink at the lounge downstairs after our yummy dinner in the city..great atmosphere.. lastly the room was just wonderful.. gorgeous view of san francisco. The setup to the room was aesthetically appealing with clean lines and modern decor, super comfy bed and nicely done! Also very clean bathroom.. the stereo was a great touch..I loved my stay here and would come back in a heart beat!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear LAC21,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Nikko during your visit to SF. We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. Positive comments such as your are very meaningful; I'll be sure to pass this on to the departments.
Looking forward to welcoming you again.
Warm regards,
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed in a petit queen room while staying here in September 2012, overall it was a really good stay. I was on the 6th floor so the view wasn’t fantastic but the room itself was good it was quite small but it was what I expected having read similar comments before booking.

There was a large flatscreen tv which was nice and the bed was extremely comfortable, there was also a desk to work from which was good. There were the odd scratch or mark on the carpet but nothing to noticeable. I did find that the room was a bit chilly and while there was aircon it didn’t provide much heat/

The bathroom was very spacious with a good powerful shower (which is important!) I didn’t use the facilities such as the gym/swimming gpool or eat in the restaurant but I did order room service twice and I have to say the food was very good. My only issue with Hotel Nikko was the $15 charge per 24hrs for the internet. In a 4* I would have expected this to be included, if you do just need it intermittently there is a Starbucks downstairs with free wifi so I took advantage of this a few times.

Location was great too, right near market – including the Westfield Centre so not to far to walk.

I would definitely stay here again, maybe next time I’d ask for a bigger room but otherwise all good!

Room Tip: Ask for a larger size.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear heidijayne,
Thank you so much for taking your time in writing this wonderful review. I love how you utilized other reviewers comments and feedback to make your experience worthwhile.
As for the view, may I suggest booking in any of the corner rooms starting from the 15th floor and up to get a nice view of the city or The Bay. The WiFi is free of charge when bookings are made on our website and you're also guaranteed free access to the internet when staying on the Imperial floor.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Best regards,
Marcia Striffeler
P.s. Feel free to keep in touch with us on facebook.com/hotelnikko
Querétaro, Queretaro, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I'll start by saying the location of this hotel is fabulous, just perfect to walk and explore the city. Very close to Powell St and the center of public transportation. Walking distance to the BART, Union Square and many diners, restaurants, shops and night clubs.

The hotel is on Mason St, which was named in various SF tourist sites as the street that divides the neighborhoods of Union Square and the Tenderloin. We found this to be true, even if outside the hotel (as in many parts of the city) you could find homeless people, they were only a few, and no shady characters as you could find a couple of blocks to the left. We always felt safe entering and leaving the hotel, early in the morning or even late at night.

The staff was very kind and helpful, at all hours. Since before our arrival (by phone and e-mail) and later every time we approached for help in person, they were welcoming and helpful.
The six elevators are really fast, and every part of the hotel looked clean and functional.

Beware of something. Even if the room is described KING DELUXE as a spacious room. It is not. I don't know about their PETITE QUEEN, but the KING DELUXE was on the small size, with a Queen Bed (not King). After talking with the Front Desk they told me it was a frequent complaint and this was SF and rooms tend to be smaller. It was comfortable enough anyway, very silent and with a decent enough view of the city (sixth floor). We stayed 5 nights and always felt welcome. We even talked of it as our home in San Francisco and that is probably the biggest compliment you can give a hotel.

On the lobby, right across from the Front Desk, there's a table with big glass pitchers of fresh water on ice. One pitcher with cut oranges and the other with lime. Its is a complimentary welcome to the guests. Wonderful after a long walk, to arrive and drink a glass.

Regarding the price, it is satisfying to find that in a city with pricey hotels, something this good is available through booking at a very reasonable price. Even small hotels in the Tenderloin were more expensive.

One feature we were not happy about is the lack of free wi-fi ($15 per device per night). I understand the hotel uses this as a freebie for those who book through their website, but their web price was $100 higher than Booking.com so it was not worth it. Instead, if you are on a budget (and we were) you can get free wi-fi on Starbucks on the lobby and in many places in the city (like SF MOMA, Lori's diner, and others).

Many reviewers complained about the food in the hotel. We chose to visit many of the hundred options around the city for our meals so we don't have much to say there.

The only disappointing feature in the hotel was the little fridge in the room.
It has two doors, one works as a minibar (we left it locked) the other is supposedly for your own stuff. What they don't say, is the available part is warm and doesn't cool. I talked to the Front Desk about it and they suggested a complimentary little fridge, but I preferred to pass, since the room was on the small side, anyway.

The room was equipped with a decent alarm clock/phone. A big enough safe deposit box, uncomfortably located near the floor of the closet, a desk, a reading chair and nothing else. The bed was a little soft but good enough, lots of pillows to choose from (you can even ask for a harder pillow) and a nice extra blanket for naps. The linen and towels were of very good quality.
The air conditioner unit silent, and with the cold foggy weather we had this time, nearly unnecessary. Would appreciate if it had a fan function, just to keep fresh air flowing. But your only choice was to set up your ideal room temp and let it work it out, warming or cooling it.

Decent flat screen TV, with a good enough selection of HD channels (including HBO and a couple of tourist local info channels). A very comfortable bathroom with bath and shower.

The only service in the hotel that could be better was room cleaning. The first night was the best the room looked impecable. Even the toothbrushes were placed artfully on a folded towel. But the next day the room was half done, as if the cleaning lady was recalled in the middle of doing it and later forgot to finish. She kept forgetting to replace stuff, twice the bathroom floor mat was missing, twice, the face towels. One day we had four towels, the next only two. It was never bad or unclean, but it should be standard in this level of hotel.

Checkout was fast and without incident. It's is good to point out that the hotel will block $100 per day on your credit card on arrival for incidentals, and will release the funds after you settle your account, so be prepared.

There's a $20 per stay fee to use the health club, but again we passed, since we were walking and sightseeing the city most of the day and the only time spent in the hotel was to rest at night.

Very minor incident after checkout. We asked the front desk to print our boarding pass, and the lady accepted gracefully, then she was called away and left the task to a colleague named John (if I remember right). He looked all busy and efficient on the screen and printed a page and gave it to me. It turned out he chose default options on the airline's website without asking us, so he chose our fight seats (my wife's and mine) appart. We had to make an extra line in the airport just to fix it. Plus he only printed my pass and not my wife's (even if they were the same PDF). He looked a bit embarrassed afterwards when I pointed it out, but it was too late for that. Again, it was a minor incident and I expect him to be more careful in the future.

When we travel again to San Francisco, Hotel Nikko will be, certainly, our first choice.

Room Tip: Appart with the size issues described in the review. The higher the room the less street noise. Avoi...
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This place was just OK. We picked Hotel Nikko for a 2 night stay in San Fran in September, at the start of a journey down PCH, and mainly chose Nikko for location. We often stay in Westin type hotels, so I would say I had expectations of this being a similar place......
The positives;
a great location in the heart of the city, very close to Union square and also the end of the tram/trolley line. Can't fault the location.
Reception area very clean and inviting, and the staff were very pleasant.
Room was clean and the bed was very comfortable.
The not so great;
Room was tiny! We have stayed in some small rooms in NY before, and I would say this was even smaller. We knew we had booked the lowest rate room, but still, the rooms were well over $200 a night so we'd hoped for a little more.
Check in was really slow!
I would only stay again if I got a bargain rate and a bigger room!

London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Arrived at the Nikko at 11pm after about 18 hours travelling. I asked for a quiet room on an upper floor and was straightaway upgraded to a corner superior room on 19th floor. I was so grateful and had a fantastic night's sleep. Room was large, with floor to ceiling windows looking over downtown San Francisco. Lovely bathroom. Shame I couldn't negotiate a late checkout but there was a huge convention in town, so understandable. Overall, highly recommended.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear PerryM,
Thank you for your recent review. 18 hours is a long trip. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed a fantastic night's sleep. Feedback such as yours is always gratifying.
We're looking forward to welcoming you again.
Best regards,
Marcia Striffeler

Been to Hotel Nikko San Francisco? Share your experiences!