“Very nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
San Diego, California
“Very nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

The good:
I stayed at the Hotel Nikko for a convention at the Moscone. It was a quick 8 minute walk to the convention center. The hotel was very elegant and the staff was exceedingly friendly. It was nice to have the door opened for me when I came and went from the hotel. I used Priceline.com "name your own price" and I got this room for $140 per night. Category 4 hotel. I was happy with the results. Bed was comfortable and it was very quite.
The Bad:
The room was smaller than I expected but I'm told by friends and co-workers that is pretty standard for downtown San Francisco. Access to pool and gym was $20 for the three days I was there. Perhaps that should have been included. WiFi was $30 for my four days which work paid for but I would have been bummed if it was on my dime.

Regardless it is centrally located in downtown. I was able to walk to everything I wanted to see. Chinatown, Union Square and the Wharf. I flew into the SFO airport and took the BART to the Powell station (2 1/2 blocks from Hotel Nikko). I highly recommend the BART if your flying into SFO or Oakland because you can pretty much get where ever downtown with public transportation (BART, Trolley or Taxi) after that.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Turkish first
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We absolutely loved the Hotel Nikko. Charleyne checked us in; she was very pleasant and attentive to my requests, providing us a wonderful room. Attention to detail is important to me, and Hotel Nikko excels at this. The room had a very comfortable king size pillow top bed, wonderful bedding including pillows and a nice cotton blanket at the foot of the bed, not one of those heavy comforters you wonder if they are ever laundered. You can request robes, which were great; they are very soft and not heavy. The room had a desk, comfortable chair and foot stool and the lights in the room have dimmers. The closet also has a room safe, which I always use. The water closet is separate from the deep soaking tub and walk in shower. The bathroom has ample counter space and closet space. There was a large window, with nice drapery and sheers. There is a coffee pot in the room, something we always use. Our room was 1807.

Hotel Nikko generally had two concierges on duty most of the time. A special thank you to Christopher Wang, who personally delivered some salt to my room. I found all of the staff at Hotel Nikko to be outstanding, helpful, and pleasant. Housekeeping did a great job as well. You won’t wait for an elevator either; I think the longest we waited was ten seconds.

The hotel is located in Union Square, a very convenient location. I have traveled to San Francisco many times for more than twenty years and I would highly recommend Hotel Nikko and certainly intend to stay again, many times I hope. A note for those new to the city, San Francisco is a fairly large city, and there is city noise, you have to expect that. Also, unfortunately there is a considerable population of homeless people and panhandlers. This is in no way a reflection on Hotel Nikko, and you will simply see this in all parts of the Union Square area.

I personally value reviews on Trip Advisor, and I am so pleased to be able to provide such a positive review of Hotel Nikko.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Rancho Cucamonga, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

The Hotel Nikko San Francisco is in an awesome location in Union station and everything is very close (Fisherman's Wharf, Union Station, etc). It is a very busy hotel. VIP will not be treated as VIP's. Its more like a first come first serve in that department. Make sure you make reservation in advance. the amenities are great with the fitness center and pool! Its a nice location, but make sure you also checkout THE CLIFT where VIP's are treated as such with no excuses.

Room Tip: Suites are the best!
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

For what is supposedly a luxury hotel, Hotel Nikko doesn't understand the importance of providing guests with a beautiful experience.

The first thing I got asked when I arrived was whether I wanted to spend and extra $20 to have access to the pool. Seriously? I'm about to spend $2,000 with you and you want to nickel and dime me for $20 more for access to a basic amenity? And boom, they'd lost me.

It got worse when I realised that there is no free WiFi *anywhere* on the premises. If you need to stay connected, steer clear of this hotel. If you want WiFi, it'll cost you $14.95 per day *per device*. Yes, that's right, per device. So say you have an iPhone, iPad, and laptop that you want connected, you'll be paying $44.85/day for Internet access. Oh, and if you want to connect your laptop via both WiFi and the wired connection, that'll cost you another $14.95. Of course, they've generously also provided a 3-day plan for $31.95 per device. So for my stay, which was for seven days, the best thing would have been to go for two three-day plans and one one-day plan for a total of $140.70 just for Internet access ($31.95 x 3 + $14.95 x 3). Or $187.60 if I also wanted to connect via their wired connection.

The best bit though? You can spend your time doing lots of maths like I had to in the paragraph above.

And, let's admit, that's exactly what we all want to do when we're staying at a "luxury hotel", right? Just don't forget your calculator.

Oh, and the bar and restaurant shut ridiculously early although there is 24hr room service.

To the hotel's credit, the room was nice, the bed big and comfortable and with enough cushions to start your own cushion-fight flashmob. The hotel itself, however, has no soul. If you just want a room, I'm sure you could do far worse. But if you want a great experience and great service, I'd strongly advise you to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Bring $20 extra if you want to use the pool. If you care about Internet access, look elsewhere.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel quite a bit for travel and my last stay resulted in being eaten alive by bed bugs. I called the hotel upon my return to New York and a diagnosis from my doctor and they couldn't have been more unhelpful and insisted I speak to their "loss management" department who went on to insist that my request for a refund of the nights stayed there and the cost of a subsequent exterminator inspection of my own apartment was unreasonable and I would need to speak with their lawyers. Never again!

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms with bedbugs if you can!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
JoeCurran, Director of Sales at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Dear Steve S.
Please know that we take any potential of bed bugs extremely seriously. Upon your initial email to the hotel Feb 8th, we immediately closed off yours and the adjoining guestrooms, and called in Crane Pest Control to inspect the room, and absolutely ensure eradication of any potential problem, should one exist.
I have been advised that Janice from Certus has tried to reach you via email and post to no avail. If you would prefer to talk to me, please feel free to contact me directly at 415-394-1190, I'm pleased to further discuss.
Sincerely, Joe Curran
Somerset England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Hotel Nikko is in a great location to explore the delights of San Francisco, with Union Square on the doorstep and the cable car just down the road ( you can buy your one or seven day passport at the kiosk at the turnaround station on Powell and Market st five minutes away.)

The hotel itself is outstanding. The service was impeccable, with any queries dealt with immediately in a courteous and caring way. The buffet breakfast is excellent with a huge choice and the service was also very good. The swimming and health facilities were exceptionally clean and well maintained. WiFi access is available for $31.95 for three days or use the free access in the Starbucks which is attached to the hotel.

The rooms are a good size - my only negative point was the lack of a bedside lamp or switch to turn off the main light which meant I had to go back to the entrance to turn the light off and walk back to bed in the dark - a little odd! Although my colleague did have one in her room so maybe it was just room 1730 ( I did ask if I could have one but nothing materialised). However apart from that it was a very comfortable stay. Top marks for Hotel Nikko and its staff.

Room Tip: higher rooms are an extra $50 per night for a view and free WiFi
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
NikkoGal, Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Dear leamca
What a lovely review, thank you! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. It is especially nice that that the Hotel Nikko will be on your list for future vacations. We are looking forward to your return.
Best regards,
Nikko Gal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

This was the first hotel we stayed at for USA trip and the best. we arrived late around 11pm and were very tired.When we arrived we were stoked. It looked 5 star. the staff were great, the Queen size beds were so comfortable as were the pillows. there were four of us husband and two daughters and the rooms and bathrooms were really nice. Close to everyting great shopping at Union Square. we walked everywhere or got a bus or taxi which is right outside.
i would definitely recommend this hotel and would love to go back and stay longer next time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Nikko San Francisco? Share your experiences!