“Run Down for the Price” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sparks, Nevada
“Run Down for the Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

First off, there is no air conditioning. There is a ceiling fan, but that just doesn't cut it most of the time. The room was very, very small, and the bed. It sunk in the middle, into what my husband and I call a "taco bed." You know, where the edges flip up and you and your hubby are sinking in the middle like carne asada and cheese.

The bathroom was so small and the toilet was very outdated. There is one small, very tiny elevator, and the stairs are very tiny as well.

The main complaint I had was that when I checked in, the staff told me to park the car across the street because it was $33 for 24 hours as long as I didn't come and go. She said that their parking was $35 plus tax. OK! No problem! Then when I went to get the car16 hours later, I had to pay $35. I was annoyed because I felt like I was misinformed about something. Could I have valet parked for $35? Because I would have preferred that, but I will never know. We are planning a trip back to the city in a month, and I will not be staying here, as it is just too much money for what little comfort we got.

Green Features: This hotel had standard eco-friendly things: eco soap, a choice to re-use linens and towels. Nothing spectacular.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Dear u2fan1977,
Thank you for choosing the King George Hotel for accommodations during your travels to San Francisco. I apologize that we failed to meet your customer service expectations and I’m sorry for any confusion regarding our parking options and pricing. I am confident that our current room renovation project will address your observations regarding your guestroom. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in an effort to further discuss your recent stay with us.

King George Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Korean first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

A very tired and run down hotel both in decor and amenities. Although it does appear to be starting to renovate, there was a notice board on display showing new room layouts and swatches. Our twin room was small, with 2 single beds (not what I have come to expect from USA hotel rooms). We had to ask for the heating to be mended and for some coffee for the room on arrival, the heating was fixed by no coffee turned up, nor was there any coffee on the second day. On the night of our second day I had to remake my own bed, as the housekeeper had merely folded the sheets back and smoothed the the bedspread down. The base sheet was crumpled and gather. Coffee was finally provided on the 3rd day. A poor standard of housekeeping.

Location was not bad. close to union square, and close to 2 diners for food. Quite an uphill walk away from fisherman's cove though, so if you have mobility issues this may not be a good hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear Fiona F,
Thank you for choosing the King George Hotel for accommodations during your travels to San Francisco. We apologize that your guestroom failed to meet your expectations. I will follow-up with my Housekeeping Department regarding your observations. We’re in the process of a major room renovation and we’d welcome the opportunity for you to stay with us again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to further discuss your recent stay with us.

Livingston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Besides being expensive, we found this Hotel to be far too noisy. I asked the clerk to give us a quiet room, but then we found the room we had reserved was not available, they put us in a suite, which was nice, but overlooked the main street on the 2nd floor, neither us nor our daughter got any sleep, delieveries at all hours in the alley beside her window, and noisy vehicles and people in the street at all hours of the night. We will not be back.

Room Tip: I asked for an inside room which we did not get, if you stay there, demand an inside room or dont st...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear William B.,
We appreciate your business and thank you for your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the noise issues you encountered. We plan to improve the soundproofing of our rooms with our ongoing renovation plans. I welcome the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future.

Bertrand H. Newson
Kind George Hotel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

I wouldn't stay here again. It was over $200 and super small. Not to mention the bathroom was even smaller! I felt claustrophobic in there! It was clean, but just not worth it. I would suggest the opal if you plan on staying in San Fran for about the same budget. Then our sink vomited up rust and sewer stuff. Prob won't stay there again, but we like to check out different places. It looks nice inside other than that.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear yvette m,
Thank you for choosing the King George Hotel for accommodations during your travels to San Francisco. I apologize that we failed to meet your expectations with the size and condition of your room, but I am hopeful that our current room renovation project will address your observations. We have addressed your comments regarding the sink in your room with our maintenance team who will look into the issue immediately. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in an effort to further discuss your recent stay with us.

Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

The location was fantastic. 2 mins from the union square, mission street, moscone center etc. The staffs were also very friendly and helpful. However, the rooms were extremely small for our likeness. It was like living in a hostel room. However, they were neat and clean and properly taken care of.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We travelled to the USA for a 3 week holiday through July- August. We booked accommodation online due to this being the summer period. We were in San Francisco for 5 nights and stayed here for the duration. Reviews we read were varied and there was commentary re: refurbishment. We did on the whole find accom more expensive than we had anticipated, so decided on a Deluxe King room for our stay. The room was quite small for the king sized bed. And although 'refurbished' did not appear quite to the standard of the photos in the website. I acknowledge that this was not a renovated room. The bed was comfortable enough and the room was clean. The hotel and room just felt dated. The lift does not seem sufficient for the number of rooms they have particularly when housekeeping also need to use this one lift. The concierge desk was not manned during our stay, so any questions were directed to the reception desk. They were happy to assist, but it is not ideal when you have guests trying to check on/ check out as well as general tourist questions. The location is fairly central to the heart of San Francisco CBD being in the Union Square locale. There was nothing really wrong with the accommodation, it just did not seem like good value for money compared to other places we had stayed (New York City, Washington DC prior and then Las Vegas afterwards.)

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

The King George Hotel is in great location and handy for the main tourist attractions in San Francisco. As a family of five, we had two rooms. The twin room was fine but the double room for myself and two of my children was slightly cramped with a roll-out bed also in the room. As we were only in the room to sleep and shower this was manageable for a few nights but three nights was enough. The twin room was nearer to the front of the hotel and my husband found this could get a bit noisy during the night. The staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to King George Hotel? Share your experiences!