“Fantastic Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS The Tuscan

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS The Tuscan to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Tuscan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   425 North Point Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (Formerly BEST WESTERN PLUS Tuscan Inn at Fisherman's Wharf) (Fisherman’s Wharf)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bristol England
“Fantastic Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

The Tuscan Inn is in a fantastic location for all the attractions at Fishermans Wharf, Pier 33 to Alcatraz is less than a 10 min walk from the hotel. Reception staff were very polite and helpful, Rooms are slightly on the small size but very well equiped, modern and clean. The Italian restaurant that is attached to the hotel serves excellent food, our booking included a free continental breakfast which consists of either a Muffin or croissant (which we exchanged for toast), a large fruit salad, fruit juice and with tea or coffee.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

This was my 6th trip to SF in the past 12 months but the first time I stayed in the Fisherman's Wharf area. I named my own price on Priceline & it was accepted by theTuscan Inn. It was wonderful! Based on other reviews I read online, I requested an "inside room" facing the courtyard. It was very quiet. This was one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. The bathroom was absolutely spotless. The beds were very comfortable. The location was fantastic. The cable car picked up 1/2 block away, it was a short 2 block walk to Pier 39, there is a shopping center right across the street with a Safeway and Walgreen's and a Cost Plus Market and Barnes & Noble right next door. It was quick & easy to take the cable car to the MUNI/BART station at Powell or the F street car to the MUNI/BART Embarcadero Station. The hotel staff were extremely nice and helpful. There was a concierge on duty most of the day and evening and was very willing to answer questions, recommend restaurants, tell us how to get places on public transit, etc. There is a computer in the lobby with free internet access and quick links to print boarding passes. The front dest staff also offered to print our boarding passes if we preferred. Check-in and check-out was fast and easy. We were allowed to check-in at 9:30 am, well in advance of the normal 3:00 pm check-in. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2009
lake tahoe, nv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

This is the first time in my life I have ever taken the time to do one of these online reviews, so you know that there is something very special about this hotel. Aside from the great location, beautifully appointed rooms, helpful friendly staff and affordable price, they welcomed my dog with open arms and doggie treats! My dog and I will stay at this hotel every time we visit San Fran!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

We made a reservation here after taking advice from other Travellers from this site. Arriving after a 11 hour flight at midday, our quiet room over looking the court yard was ready for us. The room was not overly big, but clean and very comfortable beds, a great shower and very clean bathrooms. Nice decor and good amenities.

Thoroughly recommend the Cafe Pescatore adjacent to the hotel as the food is very good. Ideally located to Fishermans wharf, the cable car, plus a supermarket across the road.

Staff are friendly and helpful (they even bought us some English Tea with hot water).

The wine reception is a great idea as it is nice to meet other travellers and great having access to the free Internet access in our room.

Juneau, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

After extensive research for our few days in San Fran, I finally selected the Tuscan Inn. It was a great choice! The location can't be beat. The rooms were bright, clean and the windows open.

What I noticed most is the room (king size) was very small. It was difficult to find a spot to put two big suitcases --- to live out of for several days. So we were constantly stepping over them and around them. There is an in-room safe which is great. The room also had a small refrigerator but it was kept behind lock and key. Why? We don't know and were too busy to really care, but found it odd. Another odd thing we noticed is a majority of the room doors opened OUT into the hallway, rather than into the rooms. Ours opened inward, but we definitely noticed most opened out.

Our room was very quiet and the window opened up to overlook a cute courtyard. The lobby also had several great gathering areas for meeting your party or just sitting to enjoy your book outside the room.

Next door is a Safeway and a Barnes & Noble bookstore. Both of which were great for stocking up either on water or grabbing coffee in the morning. The Wharf is just a short walk up the street, as is a laundry mat if needed and the stop for the Muni cars.

The several gentlemen who worked the front desk in the evening were great and all were very helpful during our stay. They were also very patient in explaining directions on the map etc! The staff in the morning seemed to need another cup of coffee as they weren't excited to see us. Just a difference in personality I would assume.

We did ask the Concierge, located in the lobby, a few questions one morning and realized that to be a mistake. Both of us having worked in tourism for over 14 years were very disappointed at the level of service provided by this gentleman. No suggestions of "I would recommend, if you are in that part of SF then you should try to eat dinner here, here or here. Some options for sightseeing there would be X, Y, Z."
It was very apparent to us that we were beneath his level of being a worthy tourist.

The Room Attendants were excellent and friendly - very accommodating to our late morning departures before making up the room - and our room was always very clean with fresh towels as requested.

I would stay here again.

Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

Based on the reviews here on TripAdvisor, I expected to love the Tuscan Inn, but I have to say I was underwhelmed. The location is good, and the overall decor is nice, but there was nothing that I can really rave about.

This was our first trip to San Francisco (myself, my husband, and two teenage children) and we stayed at the Tuscan Inn for two nights -- a Saturday and Sunday. The first night we had a room on the outside perimeter of the building, facing Mason St., and the street noise was absolutely unbearable. It was not just cars and traffic (which I would understand) but screaming, yelling, honking, and all kinds of commotion -- especially at about 2am, which is when I'm assuming the local bars let out. The noise from inside the hotel was not much better. The walls were paper thin, and my son woke up in a panic at one point because he thought the voices he was hearing were INSIDE our room.

We asked to be moved to a quieter room the next day, and the front desk was very accommodating (I got the feeling this happens all the time). The second room was smaller, with a very inconvenient bathroom layout, but at least it was quieter and we were able to sleep.

We never tried the coffee/tea in the morning or the manager's reception in the afternoon (we were out sightseeing most of the time), though they are a nice touch. Our room rate included breakfast, which was a croissant and fruit at the on site restaurant. It was fine but, again, nothing I can rave about.

Overall, it was a good location, but an average hotel with serious noise issues.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Rockwood, Tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

My wife and I, along with my sister, stayed at the Best Western Tuscan Inn Fisherman's Wharf. We stayed from November 6 through November 10, 2009. This was our first ever visit to San Francisco, as we are from Tennessee and my sister is from North Carolina. We have been many places, in many states, and even out of the country a few times. I left San Francisco and the Tuscan Inn, very happy and highly impressed. I can not tell you a single bad thing about the hotel. Everything was perfect from the minute we arrived, until when we left to go home. I highly recommend and urge you to stay at this great hotel. The place is exceptionally clean in all areas, up to date and nice. The front desk staff is more than eager to help, smile, make you happy. We were always greeted with a big smile and happiness, even when very busy. The location is perfect to pier 39 and surrounding areas. I am proud of myself for picking this hotel, and I assure you that I would stay nowhere else in San Francisco, other than the Best Western Tuscan Inn. If we had any questions about getting to somewhere, the front desk people were knowledgeable and always printed us precise directions that got us where we were going fast and safe. The room was on the 2nd floor and was spotless and very cozy. The room was very nice and quiet. We had no complaints at all. We were right beside vending machines, which was great for me to get a drink, after all the walking! The elevators were fast and clean. The outside of the hotel was clean as well. I would like to say thank you to everyone at the Best Western Tuscan Inn, for making our first trip to San Francisco a perfect, memorable time in our lives. You ladies and gentlemen did a fantastic job, and my family will be back to San Francisco soon, and will be staying again at the Best Western Tuscan Inn. All who reads this review, I recommend you stay there as well, as it will exceed your expectations.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Tuscan? Share your experiences!