“Again, a nice quaint hotel, perfect location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS The Tuscan

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS The Tuscan to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Tuscan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   425 North Point Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (Formerly BEST WESTERN PLUS Tuscan Inn at Fisherman's Wharf) (Fisherman's Wharf)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #14 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Again, a nice quaint hotel, perfect location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

Having stayed at this hotel awhile back, I sort of knew what to expect. Check in was flawless, and we were even early arrivals at approx 12 noon. Room was on 4th floor overlooking the interior garden area. Seems the hotel has been completely renovated since our last stay. Our room had a nice clean bath/shower, all tile, and sink that was marble. Plenty of toiletries. The bed was very plush, and king size that was very comfortable. There were 2 alarm clocks on either side of the bed. Nice mini bar, and plenty of tv stations to watch before going to bed. The rooms are done in an Italian hue, and recently new carpet through out the entire hotel and our floor. The refridge was a bit noisy, and the air conditioner seemed a bit loud and woke me several times during the night, but really was not bad at all. Never experienced the room service. Never did partake in the 5 pm wine tasting as we were usually out at the Buena Vista chugging down Irish coffee until the late night. The hotel is very well located as previously mentioned in other reviews. We ate dinner at the attached restaurant the night prior to our departure for convenience, and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. Well done. All in all, would and have stayed here again. Paid around 205 a night booked through a hotel vendor website. It is very "touristy" by the wharf. As other times we have stayed more in the financial district, and probably would the next time for a different feel again.

• Liked — location to wharf and water
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2008

We have just returned from a 3 week vacation incorporating 6 days in California followed by a cruise.
We chose the Best Western Tuscan Inn as our base whilst in San Francisco on the first three nights of our tour.
We arrived at SFR approximately 1 hour late due to flight delays at London Heathrow and in the pouring rain and, of course, suffering from jet lag. Despite all this, we found the Tuscan Inn easily in a city strange to us.
After reading other reviews on Trip Advisor we made sure that we had a "Garden View" room as we knew that the jet lag would see us awake at about 2:00am!
I don't know about the street view rooms but we had no problems with noise whatsoever.
The rooms were pleasant, clean and did not disappoint.
The hotel is certainly well placed for access to Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 etc. My wife suffers from arthritis and cannot walk far but we had no problems in walking to the departure point for Alcatraz tours, Mr. Toad's city tour, Cable Cars, etc.
Staff were helpful and generally friendly.
The daily wine reception was a great idea as it got guests together and talking about their experiences of the day.
Was a little upset by waiter serving wine at the second of these we went to. On arriving we initially spoke to some other guests and I then went to request two glasses of wine on behalf of myself and my wife - reaction was, in broken English, -
"Only two glasses each!"
I explained we had just arrived and this was our first drink.
"NO, only two glasses"
"We haven't had one yet!"
"I must see your room key"
With annoyance I retrieved and displayed the key and finally got a glass of wine.
I know they don't want clients getting drunk at their expense but at the end of the day it wasn't even quality wine just a very cheap plonk.
Only other downer was $38 per night for valet parking. Being from UK this kind of thing is alien to me but I did know in advance and chose to accept it - apparently other guests with larger cars were paying over $50 !
Apart from the one incident above I would have no reservations about recommending this hotel

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

We had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. The hotel was clean and convenient. The staff was helpful and friendly. We never went to the evening wine party but it looked very popular. We were street side which was a bit noisy some mornings with truck deliveries.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

This is a hassle-free place to stay with a dog. I travel with my small poodle and usually, even though hotels will say that they welcome pets, the front desk people give you a certain look when you walk in and out of the lobby with your dog.......NOT HERE!!! I've never stayed at a more dog-friendly place. I saw a couple checking in with 3 large dogs (retrievers) so apparently there isn't a weight limit, maybe a limit of 3 dogs??? I stayed in a suite.......a note to those considering staying in a suite....I thought that mine was rather small so I asked if the suites were the same size and was told, "they're about the same". Ended up staying in my suite as it was a busy weekend but I did get to view the suite directly across from mine and there was a huge difference ( I would guess about an extra 100 sf). So, make sure that you request one of the larger suites, they are all priced the same. If your dog tends to be a little disruptive or on the noisy side, there is a bathroom fan that you can keep on to make noise. Also, the room air conditioners/heaters make some sound which can also help to mask noise. My dog is very well-behaved so I'm lucky but I never once heard any other dog noise while I was there. Stay here, your dog (and you) will love it.

• Liked — dog-friendly
  • Disliked — tried to charge extra, rather than my quoted AAA rate
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Goes, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

room was quiet, clean with good beds but very very small
not a cheap hotel
valit parking was to much expencive but oke its the location

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price´s
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mount Joy, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

I stayed at this Tuscan Inn in the Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco recently. What a lovely place in the midst of a fast-paced environment! The thought that it was a Best Western made me think ahead of my stay that this is an okay place to rest a night but what a surprise when I found the cutest place in the City of San Francisco. The room was adorable and had everything I needed. The concierge, Hugo Vides, is the absolute best. The welcoming wine event between 5 and 6 p.m. was a nice twist to get to know others who were staying there. I only wish I would have had more time there and hope to someday return. I am so glad my travel agent at Liberty Travel suggested this.

• Liked — the quaintness and beauty of the hotel inside
  • Disliked — I thought the front desk staff could have been a bit more cheery!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
Nottingham,Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

I booked this hotel via booking.com at KLM website. I went through a lot of reviews and the one from Frommers Guide was most helpful. I got a good rate and no prepayment from the KLM website( linked to booking.com). Tuscon Inn was near the pier 39, which is a great location, checking in and out was easy. The staff were very helpful. The room was nice, good size and quite clean. The bathroom was big and clean as well. Although I was alone, room was good enough for a couple. The hotel had free coffee and drinks everyday and free access to wireless internet. The adjacent served nice breakfast. Great location and hotel. Try and not book anything from the hotel though, just walk up pier 39 and you will have more choice. The hotel does arrange a shuttle to the airport without any extra charge.

• Liked — Great location, clean and decent size of room
  • Disliked — Nil
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Tuscan? Share your experiences!