My husband and I just enjoyed a four night stay at the Tuscan Inn at the end of a three and a half week trip to the US. We had not been to San Francisco for twenty years and had previously stayed at the Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf.
The Tuscan Inn is close to Pier 39 and is literally a four minute walk to Boudin Bakery on the wharf. It's location is really second to none in that you are so close to the Wharf, the Hop on Hop Off Bus stops, tourist shops and a Super Sightseeing tour office.
The staff (in particular Mia) on the front desk were very friendly and helpful. We opted for a King Suite which was tastefully decorated with crisp white linens, white window shutters, a large bathroom, small sitting room, two flat screen tvs and a bar fridge (you kept the key for the bar fridge which was well stocked but of course over-priced). Our room # 415 had a view towards Fisherman's Wharf and we could see the Oakland Bridge from the side window.
Every day the Tuscan Inn provides tea and coffee in the lobby area (with a lovely open fireplace) from 7-00am until 10-00am. In the afternoon there is a Happy Hour where guests are served free wines and coke etc. My only gripe here is that it ran from 5-00pm to 6-00pm. Most days we were not back from our sightseeing until closer to 6-00pm so consequently we missed it. The older guests however thought it was great as they were always there, right on time!
The Tuscan Inn does not have a gym but you can buy a pass for 24HR Fitness which is located across the road in the Northpoint shopping mall ( a small mall but it does have a Safeway and Walgreens Pharmacy). This is the only hotel in our trip which did not have gym facilities and I think it a little rough to have to pay $12 a visit.
Unlike all the other hotels we stayed at which were of the Hilton Chain, the Tucan Inn also did not:
- Have a guest laundry where you could do the mandatory quick wash
- No complimentary continental breakfast
- Very limited storage space in the suite
The furniture in the suite was a little knocked around and two of the shutters had broken louvres which meant you could only turn them in one direction. We also found we had to run the air conditioning all night as there was a bit of street noise so it helped drown it out.
However a big plus is that next door to the Tuscan Inn is Ross for Less, a fantastic store that we had first encountered in Hawaii. It seems to be a clearing house for larger department stores so you never know what they are going to have in stock but you will find that their prices on shoes (all the top brands), designer clothes, luggage etc are second to none. It is always worth going and checking out what they have.
Downstairs and with an entrance from the Lobby is their restaurant Pescatore, serving beautiful Italian fare. I have written a separate reviw for the restaurant.
Overall I would recommend the Tuscan Inn. It has a great location, the staff were friendly and the rates reasonable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1997, Frommer's Guide designates the Tuscan Inn, a Kimpton Hotel, located just steps from the breathtaking San Francisco waterfront, as "the best hotel at Fisherman’s Wharf." This gracious boutique hotel is characterized by its warmth and charm, impeccable service and Italian country villa ambiance. Adjacent to the hotel is the inviting Italian trattoria, Café Pescatore, completing the picture for an ideal stay in the City by the Bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline, getaroom.com, Agoda and Otel so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS The Tuscan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western San Francisco
- Tuscan Inn Fishermans Wharf
- San Francisco Tuscan Inn
- San Francisco Best Western Tuscan Inn
- Tuscan Inn San Francisco
- Best Western Fishermans Wharf
- Best Western Tuscan Inn Fishermans Wharf San Francisco