“Super for first time stay in San Fransisco” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS The Tuscan

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS The Tuscan to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Tuscan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   425 North Point Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (Formerly BEST WESTERN PLUS Tuscan Inn at Fisherman's Wharf) (Fisherman's Wharf)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #15 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Illinois
“Super for first time stay in San Fransisco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I wa extremel nervous in booking a hotel in San Fransisco since we had not traveled to this part of California. The hotel was very charming and clean. The location was perfect. We were able to walk everywhere we needed to go with our two seven year olds. The Concierge was a great help too. The only extra I would have liked to see was a simple continental breakfast to snack on until we were able to get up and out to eat breakfast. The bedding was great with down pillows and blanket.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Chula Vista, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

In short...
The location is one of the best of hotels in Fisherman's Wharf - just a few blocks to everywhere and a 0.7 mile walk to the heart of Little Italy. Public transportation very easy to access within a 2 block radius but if you need to taxi down to the Financial District/museum area it's only about $9. Literally around the corner is a Trader Joe's and Safeway, Borders, Cost Plus World Market and Starbucks. The main intersection of FW is 1.5 blocks away, Pier 39 is a 5 minute walk. The staff was very knowledgable and hospitable. We ate dinner at the hotel's Cafe Pescatore and was very impressed - not the typical hotel restaurant. The king bed room was a little cozy with the end of the bed being 2 feet away from the dresser...but the bathroom was nice sized, the bed was comfortable and I'd stay in the room again in a heartbeat. It was at the back of the hotel so no view, but very quiet. Who really stands there and stares for a view out the hotel window anyway - we were out doing things! Wine reception in the early evening was nice. Concierge was helpful but pointed guests toward the mainstream tour companies and didn't give suggestions for the mom-and-pop companies/restaurants so be sure to check into those on your own. Didn't do anything except sleep and shower here, and eat in the restaurant, as we were busy out in town the entire time so I can't review what others might consider important - fitness center, conference rooms, etc. We parked our car here (valet only) for $44 a night - the hotel doesn't own the garage so they have to pay to use some other company's...hence a pretty high price. I loved everything and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Endorse all recent positive reviews. Rooms relatively small but clean and quiet. Corridors could do with being freshened up though.
Like a few Best Westerns organised a social get-together each evening between 5:00 and 6:00 with complimentary wine. Great for swapping stories with fellow travellers. Public area comfortable if a little draughty.
Very central with Fisherman's Wharf; the cable cars; eateries etc all within easy walking distance.
Stored luggage; printed boarding passes; and, organised transport for us on our departure day very efficiently. Wi-fi free and good.
At $130 per night seemd a little pricey but maybe that's what you have to pay for the location.
Only real complaint was, even though we had paid in advance, they insisted on putting a non-negotiable $50 per night "hold" on our credit card. So that will be $150 not available for 7 days. Got the impression it was in case we trashed the room or stole from the mini-bar. Bad initial impression as I wondered what sort of dive we had booked into where the guests were in the habit of doing that sort of thing - and that took a while to wear off.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Just stayed here for the second time. All very reasonable, professional good location and nice touches like pizza and wine in the evening and free wifi. Yay. A nod too to Kaelyn (sorry if the spelling is wrong) for being very helpful.

It can be noisy in rooms facing the courtyard because air conditioning/heating/fan units all back onto it and the noise carries. But they offered to move us, and anyway earplugs were good enough for a restful night.

The main gripe is because this time I had a hire car. Headline price $44 for 24 hours. Ouch.

Still, the website said "For just an additional $10.00 more on top of your rate, you are receiving parking. What could be more perfect than that?" Except that it wasn't $10 on top of my rate, it was $10 on top of the headline rack rate, which was already $50 more than the discounted one, even for last minute bookings. So it works out as $60 for parking, not $10. A bit sneaky?

I phoned them to see if they could do anything. No good.

Eventually I booked, and decided to suffer the charge at the hotel.

When I arrived, they aggressively pushed the parking. They offered to discount it to $40. As I unloaded our luggage we must have been asked three or four times if we wanted them to park the car. When I asked about alternatives, they said there was another car park over the road, but they told me only the hotel allowed me to come and go.

But they failed to tell me that 100 yards from the hotel there was FREE STREET PARKING (turn right, and it's opposite the large bus park). Albeit that I needed to check what days there would be street cleaning. But from Saturday evening to Monday afternoon I was able to leave the car without charge.

Luckily, I stumbled across this because I went straight out on a drive after arriving at the hotel. But if I'd paid $80-$120 dollars for hotel parking and found the street parking was free, I'd be furious.

The way the hotel pushed their parking rather than telling me all my options was disappointing at best. And less likely to trust them, which was a shame.

Aside from this, the recommendation stands!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

I was leary of booking at this hotel since the value for its location seemed too good to be true. The only drawbacks were that the room did not have all the wonderful amenities that some do and it was very small. That being said, it had everything we needed. Most of all it was immaculate. It is by all means adequate for a short stay and a good value for the money. The location is perfect, great for walking to the piers, Ghirardelli Square, etc. and easy access for drives to area attractions.
The staff is efficient, friendly, and very helpful. The happy hour is a nice touch but don't expect much. (We quickly passed on the "Two Buck Chuck."
We had dinner at Cafe Pescatore (their on site restaurant). The food was very good and Marlowe, our server, was great fun.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Kirkland Lake, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Booked this hotel with Flight Center not knowing what to expect and when reading Trip Advisor reviews I was a little nervous but all went for the most part very well. Upon arriving we were a little earlier than the check-in time and were given a room immediately. We told the Front Desk Agent checking us in that we were celebrating our 6 month wedding Anniversary and that was why we were visiting. I asked for an interior view room based on what was said about the exterior rooms being noisy and I was happy with the quietness of the interior room.

When getting to the room we were very pleased, the room had a lovely mirrored backdrop, California shutters, a view of the tiny courtyard, a nice TV and was very well decorated and had character and was charming! The room looked clean and well maintained. There was some issues with cleanliness after more review but when mentioned to upper Management, it was taken care of after the fact..

There was a concierge in the lobby and they were helpfull with booking us a dinner show. We were only informed after the fact, not at check-in that there was a meet every evening in the lobby with complimentary champagne/beer, which would've been nice to know. The fallowing evening we joined this and met some great people and had some great conversations with other travellers. Also, we had breakfast coupons placed in our key packet but not explained to us and had I not read them we would've missed out on the complimentary breakfast, which saved us money towards other activities.

It was down pouring one night and my husband and I were looking for a taxi and got rather poor service but again when mentined to upper Management was rectified after the fact. This put a damper on the beginning of our night but after walking in the rain and getting to where we needed to go, I got over it.

The morning of our departure we were awoken at 8am with a housekeeper screaming and slaming doors in a language I don't understand and by her tone perhaps, it's best I didn't. She slammed the door beside our room a multitude of times so, we couldn't fall back asleep. When mentioning this to upper Management this was rectified also. At check-out we asked to have our luggage stored and I asked that the Front Desk person be a little careful with mu luggage seeing as I had a fragile item on one side and when I turned to walk away she let the suitcase drop on the side I asked her to be careful with.

All in all this hotel is absolutely charming! The location is a 4 minute walk to Fishermans Wharf, shopping and nightlife. I would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Exceptional hotel. Our experience was wonderful. Hotel was clean and near everything. Tim took care of our group reservations in January. He was very patient and courteous throughout the reservation process. Thank you Tim for all your help.

• Stayed January 2011

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Tuscan? Share your experiences!