This is a more "European" style hotel on Powell just next to Union square. In a location where hotel rooms for double occupancy are routinely $300/night, this can be had for as low as $95/night. We paid $169.00, during a major trade show.
Rooms were clean, albeit a bit basic. Hotel Internet wasn't bad (which is unusual in SF) with 5mbps down and 1.2mbps up.
The breakfast and coffee were classic continental, but good. The rooms were clean, the staff courteous, and everything needed was conveniently nearby.
A few things that some might not like:
It's an older hotel, with what comes with that. One slow small elevator, sash style windows and fans, no A/C. The windows are blocked so they dont' open very far. Standup showers only in small bathrooms. You WILL hear street noise if you are facing Powell (but that's part of the charm, IMO).
The hotel has been recently remodeled and painted, is clean, and well run.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If travelers were to pinpoint on a map the number one location in San Francisco, it could be right outside the door of Hotel Stratford. Our entrance has become part of thousands of photographs taken of the Cable Car as it heads up the second block of its famous journey over San Francisco's beautiful hillside communities.Guests who want the convenience of being right in the center of the City will enjoy their stay in this European style affordably priced property, with over 80 pleasantly decorated rooms, all with the most modern facilities. We await the pleasure of your company be it for Business or Leisure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com and BookIt.com so you can book your Hotel Stratford reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Stratford Hotel San Francisco
- Stratford San Francisco
- Stratford Hotel San Francisco