“the best thing I can say is it was clean” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Stratford

Hotel Stratford
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   242 Powell Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Union Square)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #105 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
San Francisco, California
“the best thing I can say is it was clean”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

this hotel was on the list of "recommended" by a trade show I attended. There is no air conditioning. The room was smaller than a college dormitory for one - and you couldn't stand in front of the sink because of abutments in the walls. And the window opened to a solid brick wall. Only one plug in the room worked, so I couldn't charge my phone and laptop at the same time. In all of my years of business travel, I have never been in as low-class hotel as this.

Room Tip: unless you are back-packing - this hotel is one step above a tent.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Shyam S, General Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Alan,

Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. We value each of our guest suggestion and we will do our best to see where we can improve our service. I am sorry that your visit was not enjoyable and I wish you had contacted me while you were here as I am sure I could have found accommodations that would have exceeded your expectations.

I would like to ask you for the opportunity to personally ensure a perfect stay during your next trip to San Francisco and Hotel Stratford. Please feel free to contact me when you plan your next trip and I will personally handle your reservation; I will see to it personally that your stay will be both pleasurable and memorable.

Shyam Shrestha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Maracaibo, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This place has gone beyond my expectations. First of all, location can't be better! Next to Union Square, with a cable car stop literally around the corner and plenty of shops and restaurants around.

The rooms are really good too, not necessarily big and also quite clean. My room was on the 7th floor and I was surprised to see that rooms could be cleaned at everytime of the day and not just in the mornings like other places. The only complaint that could fit is the temperature in the room, sometimes was too warm! And there was no way to control that.

Breakfast is just as good as it gets: the essentials to start the day, orange juice, cereals, coffee, toasts and fruits. It does the work for me and for anyone not going after an extra-large included breakfast.

Last but not least, staff was great and friendly. Everytime I needed information was a success and info was accurate.

To sum up, I strongly recommend this hotel if you want to save money and stay in San Francisco's main spot. I would definitely visit The Stratford again!!

Room Tip: Lower floors might be fairly noisy by night. Try to arrange top-floor rooms (7th floor was good!)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jamie D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for the great review! Our staff is delighted to see a review like this. It illustrates that our efforts have been successful. We hope you will stay with us again soon. Once again thanks
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

•"European" sized room (tiny, sink in the bedroom, not the bathroom"
•Great location if you're in town for tourism (next to Union Square, good access to all modes of public transit, lots of cabs)
•Continental breakfast is simple but sufficient to get you going for the day- save your money for lunch and dinner!
•Front desk made the visit. Friendly- advice on beer sites during SF Beer Week, even gave me personal post card stamps.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. It pleases all of us to see that guests enjoyed their visit. We are thrilled you were happy with the hotel and especially our staff!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

As an older lady on her own I was very pleased to have found this hotel. It was a friendly clean hotel with all the amenities I needed. Very reasonably priced and included a nice breakfast. Central location too. Will definitely return when I go to San Francisco.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thanks so much for the review. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay and will be looking forward to your return!
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is a clean, good value, no frills hotel. We never use spas, fitness rooms, etc. so we look for hotels that are NOT spending their money on stuff we don't use. This hotel is alot like family run pensions in France. The location is great- easy access to BART, public transportation, Union square, Wed morning farmers' market. From SFO the Bart is a $8.25 ride and 15 minute walk to this hotel. The Powell Street cable car stops right in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't like street noise ask fro a room not on the street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Jamie D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel! It really helps us get a glimpse of the guests experience that we may not receive otherwise. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again.
Thanks
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

On arrival with a clear booking for two adults and a 16 year old, we were told there would only be two twin beds! When we asked where our son was expected to sleep they said we'd be surprised at the arrangements guests make! After some arguments, we were directed to a tiny room which they said they would put a fold away bed in. It was so small it was questionable whether the extra bed would have fitted. I returned downstairs to complain again, and after more wrangling and refusing to pay extra, was given a great suite with views over the bustling street below.

Whilst this eventually worked out very well for us (and this room is modern, well finished and spacious) the rest of the hotel looks cramped with lots of small rooms. The dining area at breakfast time was often so crowded that there wasn't enough chairs for everyone to sit down. Breakfast was adequate but of limited choice. There is an annoying bleep from the lift that can be heard on and off all night.

Location is very good - right at the centre of shopping and eating areas and with the tram right outside.

Overall, this hotel could be a bit disappointing if you were expecting reasonable sized rooms and a relaxed breakfast experience but probably remains an option if you are looking for something outside the higher priced bracket in a good location.

Room Tip: Check the size and bed number you are getting!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jamie D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We apologize for the booking confusion you may have endured. Our building is a historic building and the rooms are not very large. Once again, thanks for staying with us and we hope you visit us again!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

San francisco is the most expensive city in the US and accomodations are also pricey. This hotel is for budget conscious but want to stay in the ehart of the city in a safe area. Rooms are small but good enough. However there is no aircon and the room radiator doesnt work, making the room very cold at night or on cloudy days even during summer, that is only my room and I dont know about other rooms. Staffs are friendly and polite- understanding as well. Hotel is clean but morning breakfast is very crowded and lift is extremely busy and slow. There is not much of a view.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Jamie D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you for the review of our Hotel. Thank you for all the positives you mentioned in your review. We are very proud about it. We hope to see you again.

Been to Hotel Stratford? Share your experiences!