“Great Location, Terrible Experience” 2 of 5 stars

The Herbert Hotel
161 Powell Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Union Square)   |
Ranked #97 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Location, Terrible Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I'm not usually one to complain, however our stay at the Herbert Hotel in San Francisco went from bad to worse... Upon arrival we were checked in and given keys someone else's room... Simple mistake, however slightly alarming... The room was small, but not a major issue as we weren't planning on really spending much time there. Once settled went downstairs to be greeted by a different receptionist and asked if we could be given a second set of keys. No checking of identification just, "what room number are you in?" and just handed them over...once again level of security was alarming.

We arranged for shared bathroom, however a little surprised that there was only 1 shower and 1 toilet shared across a whole floor (the shower smelt as if someone had been using it as a toilet)... not ideal...

We were hit with the fire alarms going off, not once, but twice throughout the evening which was extremely frustrating (both occasions advised that it was a false alarm). Wifi Access only available on the 2nd floor (which was not worth using as it was constantly glitching) however there was a cable in the room to plug in (which didn't work).

Room was stuffy uncomfortable at night and the beds rather uncomfortable. The only real benefit was the great location. After the 2nd night we moved to a hostel around the corner for half the price and much better atmosphere. Wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay in a room with a bathroom
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ParamountManagment, Manager at The Herbert Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
We are very sorry to hear about your arrival at the Herbert Hotel. This is definitely not our typical experience. First of all, although you state that it was a small mistake to hand out the keys to the incorrect room, we take this very seriously and this should not have occurred. Second, the front desk should check your ID when they are giving you a 2nd set of keys. Not an excuse but we are going through some training our new Front Desk agents and this will be addressed.

As for the 1 shower and 1 bathroom per floor, this is correct but the majority of rooms on the each floor have a private bath so it is about 6 rooms using the shared bathroom and shower. We have not had issues with our supply of shared showers and bathrooms. We clean all of these twice a day.

We do not advertise our Wifi access as it is not consistent, we are getting new Wifi for 2013 in the first quarter. The wired access in the rooms has had no reported issues and we check the lines as soon as there is any evidence of bad service.

We have updated all of our beds in the last year and pay extra attention to the quality our beds and linen.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Turkish first
Baku, Az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I drove right past it on the way in, but when I found it I was pleasantly surprised. I had a room with a private bath which was clean and had everything I needed. Location is right on Union Square!! A friend recommended the Herbert to me and I am pleased he did. Great little hotel that really does have a great location...especially for the price!

Room Tip: Private bath is nice, but better value if you opt to share
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
west sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was unsure if the reality of this place would be as good as the photos but I was pleased with what I found. Nice clean hotel, very central, friendly staff.

The cable cars run right past the door and the Muni and BART are just a few yards away!

I would happily stay here again!

Room Tip: Best book the en-suit rooms. They are not much more if you book well in advance and much nicer than...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

central location, simple equipment, shared bath, but clean.
The employees Anastasia and Alena were very nice, friendly and helpful !!!
Anastsia told me about points of interest, brought a coffee machine and answered all my questions. I especially want to note her patience and competence.
Thank you very much!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Great price, Great room, Great experince. Was in town for one night on business and stayed in a private bath room. The room was clean, comfortable, and perfect for my quick turn around trip. My dinner meeting was with in walking distance and it was a great way to enjoy the sites and sounds of the city. I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

as stated about, my stay was without incident - the room was comfortable, clean, quite, and pleasant. The location was prime and everyone that i had contact with was professional and personable. I would go back

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Москва, Россия
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had a wonderful experience staying in Herbert Hotel. Great price value for the service I got. I stayed on the 6th floor in a room with private bath. Accommodation is pretty standard but I got everything I needed except wi-fi .I was informed that they provide only cable internet. The front desk lady who checked me in helped me with direction and city amenities. Will be back for sure!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends