“great find in an ideal location” 5 of 5 stars

The Herbert Hotel
161 Powell Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #102 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Baku, Az
“great find in an ideal location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I drove right past it on the way in, but when I found it I was pleasantly surprised. I had a room with a private bath which was clean and had everything I needed. Location is right on Union Square!! A friend recommended the Herbert to me and I am pleased he did. Great little hotel that really does have a great location...especially for the price!

Room Tip: Private bath is nice, but better value if you opt to share
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

360 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
west sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was unsure if the reality of this place would be as good as the photos but I was pleased with what I found. Nice clean hotel, very central, friendly staff.

The cable cars run right past the door and the Muni and BART are just a few yards away!

I would happily stay here again!

Room Tip: Best book the en-suit rooms. They are not much more if you book well in advance and much nicer than...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

central location, simple equipment, shared bath, but clean.
The employees Anastasia and Alena were very nice, friendly and helpful !!!
Anastsia told me about points of interest, brought a coffee machine and answered all my questions. I especially want to note her patience and competence.
Thank you very much!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Great price, Great room, Great experince. Was in town for one night on business and stayed in a private bath room. The room was clean, comfortable, and perfect for my quick turn around trip. My dinner meeting was with in walking distance and it was a great way to enjoy the sites and sounds of the city. I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

as stated about, my stay was without incident - the room was comfortable, clean, quite, and pleasant. The location was prime and everyone that i had contact with was professional and personable. I would go back

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Москва, Россия
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had a wonderful experience staying in Herbert Hotel. Great price value for the service I got. I stayed on the 6th floor in a room with private bath. Accommodation is pretty standard but I got everything I needed except wi-fi .I was informed that they provide only cable internet. The front desk lady who checked me in helped me with direction and city amenities. Will be back for sure!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Location: Downtown, pretty close to Union Square. We didn't enjoy downtown nearly as much as the Mission, and will stay there next time. For where it is, location is great.

Staff: We had no problems with the staff at all - they were friendly and attentive. The person who checked in in front of us had some reservation issues but we must have only caught the end of it, so no judgement from us.

Room: We had room 718 on the top level, a "junior" suite. Good view, no noise at all. The two beds layout actually worked really well as we both felt unwell the last day or so. Fairly basic layout, but everything was new and comfortable. Floorboards are always a bonus too. Lots of great selections on the TV. Only negative was that we really would have appreciated a mini bar. The bathroom was fine enough - the toiletries were pretty low grade but we had soap from other hotels, and got shampoo/conditioner from Walgreen's.

Miscellaneous: In some ways it is a tarted up hostel, in a "vibe" way. No problem at all, just putting it out there.

Overall - really great value hotel. We paid about $115 + tax for the "top" style room, which is about right. Probably wouldn't be so keen to fork out too much more, but it was great value.

Room Tip: higher level worked well. Probably avoid floor 2 as it has lots of walk through traffic (washing mac...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Herbert Hotel? Share your experiences!