“Uniquely San Francisco” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #101 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Portland, Oregon
“Uniquely San Francisco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Great price, Great room, Great experince. Was in town for one night on business and stayed in a private bath room. The room was clean, comfortable, and perfect for my quick turn around trip. My dinner meeting was with in walking distance and it was a great way to enjoy the sites and sounds of the city. I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

356 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

as stated about, my stay was without incident - the room was comfortable, clean, quite, and pleasant. The location was prime and everyone that i had contact with was professional and personable. I would go back

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Москва, Россия
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had a wonderful experience staying in Herbert Hotel. Great price value for the service I got. I stayed on the 6th floor in a room with private bath. Accommodation is pretty standard but I got everything I needed except wi-fi .I was informed that they provide only cable internet. The front desk lady who checked me in helped me with direction and city amenities. Will be back for sure!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Location: Downtown, pretty close to Union Square. We didn't enjoy downtown nearly as much as the Mission, and will stay there next time. For where it is, location is great.

Staff: We had no problems with the staff at all - they were friendly and attentive. The person who checked in in front of us had some reservation issues but we must have only caught the end of it, so no judgement from us.

Room: We had room 718 on the top level, a "junior" suite. Good view, no noise at all. The two beds layout actually worked really well as we both felt unwell the last day or so. Fairly basic layout, but everything was new and comfortable. Floorboards are always a bonus too. Lots of great selections on the TV. Only negative was that we really would have appreciated a mini bar. The bathroom was fine enough - the toiletries were pretty low grade but we had soap from other hotels, and got shampoo/conditioner from Walgreen's.

Miscellaneous: In some ways it is a tarted up hostel, in a "vibe" way. No problem at all, just putting it out there.

Overall - really great value hotel. We paid about $115 + tax for the "top" style room, which is about right. Probably wouldn't be so keen to fork out too much more, but it was great value.

Room Tip: higher level worked well. Probably avoid floor 2 as it has lots of walk through traffic (washing mac...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was in SF last weekend with my boyfriend.We stayed in Herbert hotel for a couple days.The location of the hotel is great because all shopping and dining is with in walking distance. Our room faced Powell street.Room, price was also reasonable. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful.I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Fairly small rooms, but clean and quiet, considering it is just a few meters from Union Square. It is very conveniently located near the Powell cable car stop as well as the street car stop. Very little extra's provided at this hotel though and there are no wi-fi in the rooms. All in all I thought it was very expensive for what you got, however I think you are paying for the location - which I cannot fault. We were very unimpressed with the reception lady who checked us in, who seemed like she struggled to understand English. She did not give a good image of the hotel at all, and unlike all the other hotels we've stayed at, were extremely unhelpful in offering information or being able to answer simple questions regarding recommended eating places etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I recently stayed at the Herbert Hotel and must say it is the only Hotel I have ever stayed at where I had to pay first before I had even seen the room, I envisioned the room I had booked and had confirmation on however apparently that room was not available and we were given a room with no bathroom. We spoke to another couple whom were checking in the next day and the same issues were had by them, I expect that the hotel takes your booking but does not reserve a room and then when you get there you get what is available and you have to pay for it upfront. Very incompetent staff and service was less than average.- Never again

Room Tip: Don't pay till you see which room they have appointed as it is quite likely not what you booked.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Herbert Hotel? Share your experiences!