“Good experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #89 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Москва, Россия
“Good experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had a wonderful experience staying in Herbert Hotel. Great price value for the service I got. I stayed on the 6th floor in a room with private bath. Accommodation is pretty standard but I got everything I needed except wi-fi .I was informed that they provide only cable internet. The front desk lady who checked me in helped me with direction and city amenities. Will be back for sure!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Location: Downtown, pretty close to Union Square. We didn't enjoy downtown nearly as much as the Mission, and will stay there next time. For where it is, location is great.

Staff: We had no problems with the staff at all - they were friendly and attentive. The person who checked in in front of us had some reservation issues but we must have only caught the end of it, so no judgement from us.

Room: We had room 718 on the top level, a "junior" suite. Good view, no noise at all. The two beds layout actually worked really well as we both felt unwell the last day or so. Fairly basic layout, but everything was new and comfortable. Floorboards are always a bonus too. Lots of great selections on the TV. Only negative was that we really would have appreciated a mini bar. The bathroom was fine enough - the toiletries were pretty low grade but we had soap from other hotels, and got shampoo/conditioner from Walgreen's.

Miscellaneous: In some ways it is a tarted up hostel, in a "vibe" way. No problem at all, just putting it out there.

Overall - really great value hotel. We paid about $115 + tax for the "top" style room, which is about right. Probably wouldn't be so keen to fork out too much more, but it was great value.

Room Tip: higher level worked well. Probably avoid floor 2 as it has lots of walk through traffic (washing mac...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was in SF last weekend with my boyfriend.We stayed in Herbert hotel for a couple days.The location of the hotel is great because all shopping and dining is with in walking distance. Our room faced Powell street.Room, price was also reasonable. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful.I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Fairly small rooms, but clean and quiet, considering it is just a few meters from Union Square. It is very conveniently located near the Powell cable car stop as well as the street car stop. Very little extra's provided at this hotel though and there are no wi-fi in the rooms. All in all I thought it was very expensive for what you got, however I think you are paying for the location - which I cannot fault. We were very unimpressed with the reception lady who checked us in, who seemed like she struggled to understand English. She did not give a good image of the hotel at all, and unlike all the other hotels we've stayed at, were extremely unhelpful in offering information or being able to answer simple questions regarding recommended eating places etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I recently stayed at the Herbert Hotel and must say it is the only Hotel I have ever stayed at where I had to pay first before I had even seen the room, I envisioned the room I had booked and had confirmation on however apparently that room was not available and we were given a room with no bathroom. We spoke to another couple whom were checking in the next day and the same issues were had by them, I expect that the hotel takes your booking but does not reserve a room and then when you get there you get what is available and you have to pay for it upfront. Very incompetent staff and service was less than average.- Never again

Room Tip: Don't pay till you see which room they have appointed as it is quite likely not what you booked.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

We were surprised that so many people seem to have moaned about this hotel. It was offering a no frills but high value service in a great location. I say no frills, but the bed and down duvet were great, the en suite clean, (some rooms don't have this, but we checked),the rooms are left spotless each day. Right in the middle of the city it is always noisy, but it had great double glazing. there was a coffee machine a good chest of drawers and a comfy chair. Also free wifi. There was even an iron and ironing board. If you want 4 or 5 star facilities, then be prepared to pay for them. Go across the road to Tad's for a value breakfast too!

• Stayed October 2012
Aliso Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Considering the places I've stayed at in San Francisco, the Herbert Hotel tops them with location near the Powell BART station and proximity to Union Square. It was my 2nd time running the NIKE Women's half marathon this past weekend and I needed a place to shut my eyes. It's not the swankiest joint but it fit my needs.

Our room, 515, was on the fifth floor facing O'Farrell. You could see the Macy's billboard across the way. There was very little street noise but I could still hear the trash trucks in the wee hours of the morning. Thank goodness we didn't see any homeless people in the alleyway this time around. The room was clean but wasn't ready when we checked in after 3 pm. They were really understanding about the race and let us check out late. I'm not sure if we were charged for the late check-out but we were charged taxes and fees on top of our Booking.com reserved rate. I'm not sure if this is normal for Booking.com reservations. I really liked that our room had an en-suite bathroom as well as another bathroom and shower down the hall for our use if needed. There is a rec room on the 2nd floor with microwave and free wifi. All of the rooms have WIRED wifi so you don't need to worry about internet access. They have cables in the room so you don't need to bring your own. The only thing I can think of that I'd want in the Herbert is a mini fridge. Otherwise, the staff was friendly and I felt safe leaving my belongings in the luggage storage area. Thanks for a good stay.

Room Tip: Ask for 5th floor or above for quieter rooms. Ask for an ensuite bathroom at booking.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Herbert Hotel? Share your experiences!