“Disappointing.” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   620 Post Street, San Francisco, CA 94109   |
Ranked #167 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
“Disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My first impression of this hotel was not good, room tiny, lift difficult to get in and out of with bags and towels so bad that i went straight to macys to buy some . Definately no four star hotel. However staff were always nice and the location was good.

• Stayed August 2013
Elizabeth O, Public Relations Manager at Fitzgerald Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your response! We apologize that the towels did not meet your standards. We do not purport to be a four star hotel, but certainly a comfortable, clean, friendly place to stay just a few blocks from Union Square at a small fraction of the price you would pay for a four star hotel in this area- so that you can better enjoy the downtown shopping!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
Widnau, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The Fitzgerald hotel is located at 620 Post St which is 2 blocks away from the Union Square and a cable car station. When I came in the first time I was a bit shocked. The whole hotel has this "old" touch but the longer I stayed here the more I enjoyed it! The rooms are indeed not that big and without a/c control (at least mine) but fan is doing a good and silent job. Never had too warm inside my room :) Unfortunately the water pressure in the shower is a joke ^^ you can take a shower but don't expect more than slight rainfall :)

The breakfast (included) contains bagles, toast, cerals, milk, coffee, tea, fruit salad and jelly / peanut butter / nutella. It's not the Hilton but hey, it's free AND it's more than you get in other hotels ;)

The surrounding is ok. The homeless people (only 1 or 2) are sometimes a bit annoying but a "No" is a "No" and they won't ask you again.

Room Tip: Avoid all rooms ending on "6". I had 406 (next to the elevator and you hear it when someon...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your response! We do pride ourselves on offering a full free breakfast to beat all others. The water pressure varies from room to room but you should certainly always let reception know of any issue so that maintenance can take care of it, as they are all supposed to have full pressure. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay overall, and be sure to come see us again when you're next in San Francisco!
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in July 2013.

I originally made my booking through the Adelaide Hostel online and requested a private room.

When I arrived at the Adelaide Hostel, I was greeted by one of the staff who was outside having a smoke. (The hostel is at the end of a short dirty alleyway with mostly rubbish bins on the street. It smells, looks and feels seedy) Having arrived at 10AM I was super early for the standard 3PM check in for a private room. She guided me across the road to store my bags. I asked her for directions to the closest train station. She fired off street names and intersections at me like I was a local and then went off. Completely useless. I quite literally just flew into San Fran and had told her it was my first time! Not impressed.

Having come back at 3PM for check in I was told that the private rooms are a 5 minute walk away at another hotel. The gentleman at reception was really not friendly or helpful. I grabbed my bags and walked uphill with 2 x 23Kg bags to Post street. Crossed over and walked about 1 minute to the Fitzgerald Hotel.

The check in staff couldn't didn't my booking but somehow found me a room! 5 minutes of humming and being a bit flustered by the check in girl. I was surprised that I had to pay for my whole stay up-front! Very strange. I was given room #204. Its the room above reception. The elevator is super old and small and smelly and dirty. Moving bags up in this was not easy.

The room was clean but super small. The bed was surprisingly comfortable. The decor was circa 1980's B-grade movie style. The bathroom had not been cleaned properly and there were stray hairs all over the place. The bathroom was practical though. Oh, apart from the bathroom door being like a patio door. It was completely see through glass! So when my friend joined me on day 2 for 1 night, one of us had to leave the room so we didn't have to see the other doing the dirty deed!

The room was not cheap either. Its USD $140 incl tax per night. This is cheap-ish in San Fran but not in general.

The worst part? The staff. ALL the staff I spoke with were really unhelpful and it felt like I was being a right royal nuisance every time I asked them something. I wasn't asking stupid questions either - practical questions like the best airport shuttle or the closest good quality diner. The real winner - was when I went down to reception at midnight to ask if someone could replace my in-room phone as it wasn't working and had to call overseas urgently. The guy there was so rude and so abrupt. He actually sighed and threw his laptop when I asked him to check my room phone or permit me to use the lobby phone. When he realized the phone was broken he apologized and let me use the lobby phone.

The only good things about this hotel: (1) wifi is quick and reliable. (2) the location is handy to cafes, restaurants and public transport.

Room Tip: There is free wifi in reception and this is actually quite good. Its meant to be available only in r...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Shanghai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hotel is old and in need of a renovation. Rooms are very small and not well appointed.

The Fitzgerald is essentially a hostel and while the location is good I would not stay here again; at this price point there are better options around.

Tip: avoid going to the right after dark (with your back to the hotel) as this will take you up into the Tenderloin which can be a bit dodgy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the street as noise levels are high in the evenings.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Arroyo Grande, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Okay, so you have to take into consideration the age of the building. I loved it for it's character, charm, service, size and overall quality. I stayed here about a year ago and have always wanted to leave a review, but also always forgot to do so.

I came for my 21st birthday with my two sisters, mother, and two bestfriends. That's 6 of us. They had a room big enough for us! The beds were comfortable enough, it was clean (enough), and big enough for me to be as satisfied with it. You also could not ask for a better location.

The lady who checked us in was an older, Filipino lady who I just adore. I tried to return for my 22nd this May but they were fully-committed. She was always so helpful and kind. The day of my birthday, management even sent me a complimentary bottle of wine! I was ecstatic! She also one day directed me to the cute little bar in the back that I somehow never noticed. Apparently there was a breakfast included. I checked it out but was a little turned off by the whole set up. Easy to ignore because it's a floor below the lobby so it's literally easy to ignore.

Again, as long as you know that this isn't a AAA 4-Diamond resort, and you can appreciate it for the character that it has, you won't be disappointed. Great value for the price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your response! We’re glad you had a wonderful time at the Fitzgerald. We do pride ourselves on the character and charm of both the rooms and our staff- and we’re happy you got to enjoy our wine bar, as well. Do come see us the next time you’re in San Francisco!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I spent 3 terrible nights in this hotel...the first night we had a full bed in a very small and noisy room. We woke up with bedbugs bites all over so the manager switched us to a better room but turns out that it was also infested by bedbugs...after the second complaint he offered a 100 dollars back that we refused cause was ridiculous compared to what it cost. So as a conclusion, this hotel was a terrbile experience! Expensive for what it is!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Like others, we booked at the Adelaide Hostel and were situated in the Fitzgerald Hotel. At first we were given an interior room which was so small that we had to put the upholstered chair in the hallway so we could walk around the double bed. When we asked for a larger room in the back, they gladly moved us. FYI, do not get a room numbered 3,4,5,6 unless you are a single or need a double bed. The rooms ending in 7,8,9 or 1, 2 have queen beds and are comfortably large. This hotel is old, like many in the area, but the value is high. Our small room was $95 a night and the larger ones were $110. The breakfast was various breads and cereals but it was filling and better than some I have seen at chain hotels.

The staff was helpful, especially Melvin and Marina. Marina keyed us into their airport service---Airport Express took us in a van to San Francisco airport for $9 each! Super Shuttle wanted much more! They also can give discounts on various tourist services like sightseeing buses, etc. They can arrange for keeping your car overnight for $16 for 24 hours. (normal price is $35)

There is a small store on the corner of Post and Taylor selling drinks, ramen, and such. Down one block on the corner is a Walgreens for other needs. This hotel is only a couple of blocks from Union Square. It is situated right between the Financial District and the Tenderloin area. For this price, its value is great. It is even near several car rental locations.

I say, don't knock this hotel for being an older one. You don't spend a lot of time in there anyway. It is all about location in this city, and the Fitzgerald delivers on that with great value for the money. The rooms are clean and the beds are firm. They have refrigerators and microwaves, wireless Internet and televisions on the wall. What more do you need?

• Stayed May 2013
We’re glad you had a great stay at the Fitzgerald! We do pride ourselves on the large breakfast offered and the helpfulness of our staff- and of course, the prime downtown location! We’ll be happy to accommodate you again the next time you are in San Francisco!

Been to Fitzgerald Hotel Union Square? Share your experiences!