“Very unsafe for kids and extremely loud!” 1 of 5 stars

Fitzgerald Hotel Union Square
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   620 Post Street, San Francisco, CA 94109   |
Ranked #162 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Noosa Heads, Queensland, Australia
“Very unsafe for kids and extremely loud!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We travelled from another country and booked through a travel agent. On arrival we couldn't believe how small and dodgy the lift was, we had to do around 8 trips up and down to get our luggage to the room. Once we entered the small cramped room we couldn't believe that the windows were wide open and with no screens or bars etc.. luckily we got to it first before our 3 year olds fell out 6 stories to their death....no safety regulations what so ever, each window we saw was like this! Definitely not for young children. The lock/door handles didn't really lock the windows properly, very stressful as the bed was up against the window! The shower didn't work, the tv couldn't get a signal long enough to bother with the tv, the phone in the room didn't work, the 'free wifi' , well that only worked if you sat in the stair well! And it was an absolute rip off, we ended up moving after the first night and going to another hotel of much better standards and for not much more money.

Room Tip: A good tip is don't go there.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Fitzgerald Hotel for 5 nights.
The hotel is well located and not that expansive (compared to other downtown hotel)
However, rooms are small, showers and bathroom are really small. Breakfast is not great. Poeple at the front desk could show more enthousiasme when welcoming customers.
In general, I would not recommand this hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

The reviews were ok and we were just looking for a clean place to stay in SF for the weekend. Got there and our rooms weren't ready. We had to wait 4 hours. Got to the room. It was filthy. An old saggy double bed - not the queen we'd booked. Had been promised microwave and minibar - not there. The staff refused to do anything to help. Stubborn and rude. They said there were no more rooms left tough luck. We got our money back - thank god and went on line and wound up booking a room at the Sir Frances Drake Hotel for $25 more than The Fitzgerald was charging. Avoid The Fitzgerald at all costs. It's a dump.

• Stayed September 2012
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I was a bit worried at some of the negative statements about this absolutely charming hotel. Joseph at the front desk greeted me with warmth, and was very helpful every time I had contact with him. I never had one "gloomy" person greet me or help me in the hotel. My impression was that the staff was more than cheerful and helpful. The hotel is very "Old San Francisco," from the old fashioned elevator to the lovely rooms. Breakfast offered loads of choices in the breakfast room. I have a very bad habit of leaving my camera battery charging in hotel walls. I live in Mexico, and mailing is always a huge problem. One has to have a mail service, and have it delivered to the service's address. I called the hotel, and asked them to FedEx my camera battery charger, giving them my credit card number. I kept checking my account to see if I had been charged. It had not. I thought my request had been ignored. Truth be known, they had sent it the day of the request, and the manager had decided to not charge me, as I was a "preferred customer," with my four day stay in their most financially reasonable room! How lovely! The location was the very best. I could walk anywhere, shop, return to my room to unload, and go out to eat somewhere nearby. Public transportation was incredibly convenient. I cannot recommend this hotel any more strongly! It was my favorite trip to San Francisco, and Fitzgerald Hotel Union Square was a huge part of that. Thank you so much, and special thanks to Joseph. You were delightful!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Port Moody, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Thank you Fitzgerald Hotel, because the uniform unattractiveness of your facility combined with the rude and poor performance of your staff led us to seek an immediate refund, and a return visit to booking.com where we secured a room at the infinitely superior Sir Francis Drake for only $25 a night more. We are not given to easily walking out on a hotel, but you did not deliver what was promised, namely, a queen sized bed and a view. Instead, we were shown to a dumpy little pig-sty with a double bed and a view of a parking lot. We are instructing folks to give your hotel wide berth. They could do so much better. A cynical little dump, that's all your place is... On the bright side, we lucked into a room at the Francis Drake, a stroke of good fortune, facilitated by your incompetence. We are grateful.

Salt Lake City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed very recently at The Fitzgerald - Sept 2012. It IS in a great location - so close to Union Square. However, their website is horribly out of date. They no longer offer valet parking - even though there is still a sign out in front of the Hotel telling guests there is Valet. The desk clerk sent us to a lot that was FULL and they were also incredibly rude. We actually found a cheaper place on the next block right next to Honey Honey, to park overnight. The desk staff were all incredibly rude and we felt like we were bothering them anytime we made an inquiry. Seriously - interrupting whatever they were doing to "help" us. On top of the incredibly rude staff, our room did not have a remote for the TV. We later discovered it UNDER THE BED after they sent up a remote a day later that didn't work. As for the free breakfast, the coffee tasted rancid. And the oddest thing ever - the toilet seat in our bathroom was TOO BIG for the toilet. Why on earth they put it on is beyond me. It is noisy, too. Thin walls and the street traffic noise was terrible. And the other posters are not kidding about the tiny elevator.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a toilet seat that fits the toilet.
Southampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Ok, so we wanted to go to San Francisco but everywhere was booked out. I saw this hotel on Trip Advisor and read some reviews. After ummming and ahhhing, I booked for four nights.

Location: Literally, a two minute walk to Union Square...mega plus. Taxis around to flag if needed and the tour buses run along Post Street so that really made life easy.

Room: we had a twin. Perfectly comfortable for what we wanted and needed. The beds were really comfy and the shower was powerful...hot water all the time. Room was changed daily and maids were friendly. I was paranoid after reading reviews from two years ago on here about bed bugs...our sheets were clean and no evidence of that problem at all. Free hotel wifi is available and he signal was amazing...great extra. Ironing board and iron is room the whole time too.

Breakfast: it's not a big deal...at all. Just bagels, toast, fruit, tea and coffee. The breakfast room needs an update but hey, we grabbed and left and it suited us fine.

Hotel building: needs updating...the lift really is out of a Hitchcock film...but we were not going to be looking at it for hours on end so no problem.

Hotel staff: I found the staff helpful...when you actually pressed them for something. Generally, you're ignored when you walk in but check in/out was easy and they sorted our shuttle back to the airport for $9.00 each so can't complain.

I would stay here again if the trip was like this and we were out and about for most days...just needed to crash. If you plan to use hotel facilities, have dinner inside and want outstanding customer service...I'd pass.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Fitzgerald Hotel Union Square? Share your experiences!