“We Actually Got More Than We Paid For!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 San Francisco/Near the Marina

You added Super 8 San Francisco/Near the Marina to your Saves list
Super 8 San Francisco/Near the Marina
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2440 Lombard Street, San Francisco, CA 94123 (Marina District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #146 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Springfield, Virginia
“We Actually Got More Than We Paid For!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

My expectations were low, but so was my budget, so I couldn't pass up the deal I found for this hotel. The parking situation wasn't nearly as bad as some people described. The spots are skinny, but with a small car and a good driver, you'll live right through it. Our room was small, and the bed was your standard 1 or 2-star motel issue, but the TV was REALLY nice: a wall-mounted HD flatscreen that actually had HD cable and lots of channels. The bathroom seemed nearly as large as the bedroom, and although it was very clean, it had only a pedestal sink - so virtually NO counter space. But the nights were quiet, despite being on a lower floor with neighbors on both sides and the window facing the parking lot. Also, the motel is very convenient to bus lines and within walking distance of lots of shops and restaurants. Would stay there again, especially for what I paid this last time!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

There are no inexpensive places to stay in San Francisco, including this ones; with tax, a double room was $200 per night on a Saturday. The family running the motel seems competent and friendly; there were some minor maintenance issues, however, bed side lights that would mysteriously blink out; door locks that wouldn't work, chairs with torn upholstery. The rooms were clean however, relatively quiet. Very limited off street parking at the motel; the lot is small and crowded; there is a $15/night lot next door that will probably be worth the money if you have a large car or arrive late.
In actually, the area is NOT Fishermans Wharf; it is close to the Exploratorium and is in the Marina area. There are good places to shop and eat one block away on Chestnut street.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ENGLAND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Stayed 3 nights in May 2010 .Pouring down with rain when we arrived after leaving Barbeque weather in South Shields. First impressions weren’t good. Reminded me of Pontins in Wales when my kids were small ie.chalet type of accommodation. My son was instantly depressed, being used to hotels in recent years. However things improved. Stopped raining and we were surprised to find the surrounding area quite upmarket. It is very central for bars and restaurants and the buses pass regularly to the downtown area.
Manageress was very friendly, free internet and local telephones calls which came in handy when I was hiring a car. There were 2 problems however. The first was a group of school kids who made an unearthly racket the first night, till the early hours. Next day I had a word with their leader and had no more trouble.Next my son’s iPod disappeared one day from our room and never reappeared, despite protestations to the Management and cleaners.
Would probably stay again, just with my wife next time, as I’m not sure motels are my son’s style.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Metropolis, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

Don't even consider this dump. Attracted by the low price and location my wife made an on-line reservation here for my daughter and I who were on a road trip. Upon arrival the first observation was that there was no where to park while checking in since the dozen or so places in the interior parking area were full. Waiting in line in a lobby reeking with curry, I asked to see the room. I was told that that would not be possible. I should have bailed out right there, but no, I went on and checked in and put it on my credit card. We took one look at the room and were appalled. We got back in the car and drove east a few blocks on Lombard and found an absolutely beautiful room at the Chelsea Motor Inn for $20.00 more, with ample free parking for all guests. I returned to the Super 8 and requested a refund but was denied. For the first time in my life, I have disputed a charge with my credit card company. And incidentally it's not even near Fisherman's Wharf.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Auburn, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

The proprietors are a husband and wife team who really care about your comfort and know how to be "hospitable" which is rare in the world these days. As we checked in the woman was cooking dinner and offered to make me some as I commented on the delicious aroma coming out of her kitchen, and then she offered us a choice of rooms including a jacuzzi room in spite of our reservation on a corporate discount. I could go on and on on how 10 minutes of personal contact really make the difference in our short stay. The rooms were impeccably clean and accomidating, and the location superb for all of our needs. I highly reccomend this location over any of those high priced luxury hotels for any one who just needs a comfortable, clean, inexpensive, family type atmosphere. Thanks again!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

My family and I really enjoyed our stay at Super 8 and found the location very convenient, since we could find great restaurants and some shopping right around the corner on Chestnut street. We also liked the fact that you could park your car for free and the simple but ok breakfast.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Chico, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

I had already booked our room, before visiting this site and reading others' reviews. Had I done so first, I probably would not have made a reservation here, based on some of the negative things others had written. As it turned out, everything was just fine. We don't often stay in motels. Maybe some of your other reviewers do, so they have more information on which to base a comparison. (Or maybe their expectations aren't too realistic.) This is a Super 8 motel, not a 5-Star luxury hotel after all. The accomodations were clean and the furnishings in good condition. My 11 year old daughter and I shared a room with a King sized bed. We were in the back, away from the street, so traffic noise wasn't a problem. The continental breakfast consisted of both orange and apple juices. There were two kinds of cereals, Fruit Loops, or their generic equivalent and corn flakes. There was 2% milk for the cereal. There was coffee as well as hot water with which to make tea. There were individually packaged sweet rolls, as well as bread and a toaster to make toast. Packets of real butter and both apple and grape jelly were there for the toast. It's not what I eat at home, but it was fine for what is basically a free breakfast. Our total cost for our three night stay was $245.28. Seemed a good deal for The City. The free parking is limited, we got the last spot on the day of our arrival. I was thankful to have off-street, covered parking. For the next two days, we rode the bus and cable cars everywhere we went. You see a lot more and don't have the hassle of driving and the expense of parking. The motel is one block from a bus stop. So our car was safely in the lot until our last day. I dealt with two different men in the office. I found them both to be friendly and helpful. We never heard any arguing or raised voices from motel personnel. I hope this review reassures others who are considering staying here. If you keep my earlier comment in mind, about it being a Super 8, not a luxury hotel, I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Super 8 San Francisco/Near the Marina? Share your experiences!