“My go-to place in San Francisco” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stanford Court San Francisco

You added Stanford Court San Francisco to your Saves list
Stanford Court San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   905 California Street, Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Formerly Renaissance San Francisco Stanford Court Hotel) (Nob Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
up to 30% off + Wi-Fi
Ranked #47 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Stamford, CT
“My go-to place in San Francisco”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I am a frequent visitor to San Francisco, and Stanford Court has been my hotel of choice for at least 15 years. The rooms vary a lot, and location is a bit important since many of the rooms are a bit noisy - either because of the fabulous location on the cable car lines, or because they face the Mark Hopkins and sometimes have noise of garbage. If you know these two issues, you can always be happy - even if it just means earplugs. I often request an interior room which does not have a view, but is always quiet. The beds are very comfortable. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful (I changed my room twice!) The bar is fun and energetic although the cocktails are a bit expensive. I like the hotel breakfast, and the lounge, if you are lucky enough to have access, has an adequate breakfast as well as appetizers in the evening. You cannot beat the location so on balance, I think it is a great San Francisco choice!

Room Tip: An interior room is very quiet - otherwise, you might have some noise, so bring earplugs!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

On a recent visit to San Francisco, we chose Renaissance Nob Hill for a short get away and it did not disappoint. The rooms were clean, staff was nice and helpful, and bed was very comfortable. We had a room looking over the city and did not have any issues with noise. Concierge breakfast was satisfying and offered enough of a variety for us. Definitely would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Get your climbing boots out for this hotel. It literally sits a the top of San Francisco. 4 roads uphill from union square in the heart of the city. It is a square shaped building with rooms facing into an internal courtyard or rooms on the outside. I was in the internal section but I was told by colleagues the outside rooms were noisy. Saying that the chambermaids were extremely noisy speaking in some form of Chinese to each other from room to room. My biggest disappointment was breakfast. My colleagues and I met for breakfast expecting a buffet style but only a la carte was available. This was the only time we ate in the hotel after that. The waiting staff seemed to be rushed and we had to ask for things over and over even though the restaurant was almost empty. Saying that when the food did come it was delicious. Nice little gym with enough stuff to keep me occupied with. All in all a comfortable stay. I slept well but I think that was because of the hill and not necessarily the bed itself.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Queen Creek, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My wife and I traveled to San Francisco recently for a concert and we stayed at the Renaissance San Francisco Standford Court Hotel. The hotel is located on Powell and California Streets, which have the cable cars on them, so it was very easy to travel around via the cable cars since they stop right in front of the hotel. The hotel is at the top of Nob hill, so if you are at Union Square, it is an uphill walk for a few block. If you are at Fisherman Wharf or Ghiradelli Square, you can hop on a cable car that takes you in front of the hotel. It is worth getting a cable car pass so you don't have to walk up the hills of San Francisco. If you are a light sleeper, you should request a room that faces the courtyard so you don't hear the noises of traffic and cable cars. Our room was very cozy and clean. We got a good rate compared to other hotels in the area. Check in was very easy and the staff is very friendly, especially the concierges.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I booked on Priceline and had a long and clear conversation with hotel staff to make room requests. We discussed what time the room would be ready, and my requests. It was very clear and settled, as always when I do this. When I got there, even later than I was told to, I was told by desk staff the room would not be ready for HOURS. I could not believe I was told so clearly the EXACT type of room, details, and check-in time and then to be told "I do not know why you were told that." Additionally, there was no info as to WHO I spoke with that day.
The rooms on the 8th floor are occupied till 6pm by airline crews, then cleaned, I was told. The phone reservation staff said check in at 1:00 or 2:00 was fine! I could not believe there wasn't ONE room available (It was 4:00pm at this time), or WHY I was told it was a done deal on the phone, only hours before.
We were offered a room on the second floor; I declined. I knew street noise would be an issue there. Also, there were no kings available, which I was told may be an issue on the phone---fine.
Finally he offered us a room on the 7th floor (there are only 8), which was handicapped and typically $20 more. He did not charge us that fee. The bathroom was big because of that, and the shower funny, but overall it was fine. We had a street view of the Fairmont and a bit of bay. The room was nice. Needs more pillows on bed. I like the bleach white clean comforter cover. Even on the 7th floor, you can hear the cab whistles and noise. It wasn't too bad, though. The shades did not block out morning light, which they usually do in SF hotels. I like the Aveda bath products. Disappointed to see cheap kind of coffee and fruit in lobby for a FEE. That is ridiculous at 8:30am, for self-serve crappy coffee to charge $2-3.00! It should be complimentary.
Parking is typical SF, $50.00, or so.
As for the hotel value, on Expedia it was $189, but I got it for $120 on Priceline, so the value for me was good. I would NOT stay there for $189.
It was a fine stay, great location, but the check in made it stressful for me.

Room Tip: If you don't mind not having a view, many rooms are interior, just hotel facing. I would bet th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Washingtonville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Being our first trip to San Francisco, my wife and I did not know anything about the city except for what we read. We chose the Renaissance because coming from New York we had stayed at the Renaissance in times square and had a pleasant experience there so we tossed the dice and chose the Renaissance in San Fran. So glad that we did. It is centrally located on top of nob hill, and it is walking distance to many of the sites. Being on the top of the hill, keep in mind walking back up could be a chore, but that is the charm of San Francisco. My wife and I hopped on the cable cars whenever possible to get up those hills. Buying an all day pass for the cable cars worked out perfectly when needing a ride up hill. We stayed for 7 days and did not have one bad experience at the hotel as well as in the city. The staff at the hotel were beyond nice, they exceeded our expectations tremendously. The concierge staff was fabulous!. All their suggestions turned out fantastic, from restaurants to tours. The room was very nice and comfortable, we had a nice view of the city from our room. The bathroom was more than large enough. The staff at the front door were so helpful with directions or getting a cab. Wife and I can not wait to go back to such a beautiful city and The Renaissance will certainly be our choice to stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Neat property. Looks close enough to walk from BART on the map, but it's up brutal hills from the Powell/Market Street area, so beware of that. I took a cab from Powell station to the hotel--so glad I did. Hotel is two blocks away from Chinatown.

We enjoyed the happy hour and food at the hotel bar/restaurant. Great deals and really good food. Superb service all around. Nice, big rooms. Very well designed bathroom. I highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Stanford Court San Francisco? Share your experiences!