“Great rate and location, decent hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stanford Court San Francisco

Save Saved
You added Stanford Court San Francisco to your Saves list
Stanford Court San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   905 California Street, Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Formerly Renaissance San Francisco Stanford Court Hotel) (Nob Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% off + Free Fast Wi-Fi
Ranked #58 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
chicago
“Great rate and location, decent hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Good spot near the top of the hill, with smallish rooms typical of any older property. Good for business travel with an adequate workout room and concierge lounge, the interior of the hotel could use some updating, but the bar/lounge area is nice and the staff was very attentive. On top of that a sub $200 rate in this part of town is hard to find.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manager_REN_SF, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Jcurin,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience in our lounge area with us. We are very excited about our new happy hour. I cannot wait to share your kind words with our staff. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to San Francisco.

1,160 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed here for 5 days with 6th floor room that overlooked the interecting cable cars tacks. Some folks have felt these rooms are too noisy but for me, this was an excellent hotel. Make sure you go next door for a cocktail at the Top Of The Mark in the Mark Hopkins hotel, eat at Nob Hill Cafe, take the Powell cable car down to Fisherman's Wharf for a Irish coffee at the Beuna Vista. Check out Coit Tower late at night for incredible views of the Alacatraz, Golden Gate Bridge and the "lights of the city" NOW I get what Journey was singing about.

See John at the hotel bar as he is the best manager I ever encountered....he has big-time personality.

Cable cars stop at 11:30pm and shame on you if arent still out on the town....noise problem solved. Things get surprisingly quite after Midnight or so.

Room Tip: no views = Courtyard room - great views city side but can be some noise....I would go city view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manager_REN_SF, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Hippie-gypsy,

Thank you for your comments. I am so happy you enjoyed your experience with us. I can not wait to share your kind words with John. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I chose the Renaissance Stanford Court for its location to Union Square (shopping!), the fact it is in the Marriott family and for the price. Was there 1 night and the room was the standard hotel room. The typical SF downtown hotel, small room, small bath etc. The rate was $185 with tax which I thought was pretty good for the location and being SF. The parking was $50 per night, which is par for SF as well, however, it was valet parking and the guys did a good job. The front desk was very good, each encounter I had on checkin/out was handled very well. Room was clean and smelled fine. Better to request a room that looks outward toward city, mine looked inward toward the other wing of the hotel. It is a square shaped hotel. I did not use restaurant or bar so no experience noted. Overall, for the price and location it did the job and I was happy. Would return again, no problem.
Hope this helps, safe travels to all.

Room Tip: Request room looking out toward city.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MI6007,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy you enjoyed your experience with us. I can not wait to share your kind words with our staff. I am sure other travelers on TripAdvisor will find this review very helpful. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The first time my husband and I stayed here on business, I was annoyed at the entrance which looked to me like a side door. Now I like the place, probably because I know what to expect. Arriving is lovely, with the courtyard fountain and doorman to greet us. You don't have to exit the taxi on a busy street. The staff is wonderful: very friendly and eager to be helpful. The dining areas are open and inviting, but the service is slow. The decor is unusual (see photos). There is rarely a wait for an elevator. The best thing about this hotel is the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a window looking toward the TransAmerica tower. Wi-fi is free in the lobby, but ask for help...
Dear Sherz88,

Thank you for your comments. I can not wait to share your kind words with our staff. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your arrival experience with us. We are fortunate to have our courtyard and to have our doors tucked in and away from the busy streets of San Francisco. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I didn't know much about this hotel before I booked my reservation, but decided to give it a try based on other reviews. I was not disappointed. The rate was very competitive for SF. I loved the easy access to the cable cars as our office was just down the hill from the hotel. My room was spotless and I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Acorn104,

Thank you for your comments. I am so glad you enjoyed your experience with us. We are very fortunate to be centrally located and foot steps away from all three cable car lines. I am happy this worked out for you. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.
miami, fl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I will begin with the hotel positives. The staff overall was pleasant and the locations was great.

On to the negatives, In all my years of travel, I have to admit that this by far has been the worst 4-star hotel we have every stayed in. The room had visible wear and tear and at best would be a 3 star. Now the bathroom on the other hand was a 1 ½ star at best. The grime and dirt around the door frame was disgusting, a whole through both shower curtains easily two inches in diameter that and house keeper can see and request to have replaced, missing curtain ring on a rusted curtain rod, mildew stains on the bottom edge of the shower curtain, mildew between the tiles, stains on the wallpaper in the vanity area and small items like tissue holder looked like it they were purchased at a scratch and dent sale.

Marriott is usually our first choice and have stayed and numerous properties around the world, but I have to say, that we are truly disappointed and The Renaissance San Francisco Stanford Court Hotel has really left a bad taste in our mouth. I cannot believe that I spent my hard earned money on this property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MBaldriche,

Thank you again for allowing me the opportunity to speak with you on January 23rd regarding your dissapointing stay with us. As I shared with you, I too was very disappointed with the experience that you had and thank you again for sharing your feedback with me. I appreciate your continued loyalty to Marriott and Renaissance and I hope that the Marriott Rewards points will provide you with a wonderful next vacation.

Anne Stiles
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Again a great stay! Thank you Eric Matsui; you are an amazing manager and it reflects in your staff. Everything was perfect from the smiling and helpful valets to the accommodating front desk to the tasty food and great service in the dining room to the beautiful room and comfy bed. Thank you again for a relaxing weekend in the city,

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_REN_SF, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Slolucky,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear that Eric and the rest of our staff were so accommodating for you. I can not wait to share your kind words with them. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to San Francisco.

Been to Stanford Court San Francisco? Share your experiences!