“Wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stanford Court San Francisco

You added Stanford Court San Francisco to your Saves list
Stanford Court San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   905 California Street, Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Formerly Renaissance San Francisco Stanford Court Hotel) (Nob Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #30 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
NYC
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

This was actually where my husband and I ended up after a horrible night at the Ritz down the block. He is a platinum member with Marriott so the treatment (high floor and club room access) are great pluses not available to marriott members at the Ritz. The staff was friendly, room was clean, location was great - along the trolley route and blocks away from chinatown.

• Stayed May 2012
Manager_REN_SF, Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Nyc_chickie,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad to hear that our staff was so accommodating and that you enjoyed your room. We are very fortunate to be centrally located in San Francisco. Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next trip to San Francisco.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Staff was great (marriott usually is) the hotel was clean and in a good location. The rooms are very small. We were upgraded and I'd hate to see what a regular room looks like. Coffee in lobby is weak (there is a coffee shop across the street though so that's where we went)
Little noisy from the trolly.

Oh and $50 for parking... Watch it.

Room Tip: Parking is $50 per day.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager_REN_SF, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Carmamarie,

Thank you for your comments. I can not wait to share your kind words with our staff. We are also very lucky to be so centrally located in San Francisco. Although our parking rate is considered high, we do have the most affordable parking on Nob Hill and similar to other hotels in San Francisco. Thank you again for adding your experience.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed here in December 2012, for four nights in one of the top floor rooms ('skyline view', they're called). I was arriving after a work trip on the peninsula so by the time I arrived I was worn out and feeling harassed, which is exactly when you need a nice place to stay.

My room was lovely and quiet (never heard a sound the whole time there) and the view is good- for my particular room the whole bay view was a bit blocked by the tall building in front, but I imagine some of the others aren't. Very comfortable room and a good size.

As other reviews mention the hotel is up the top of a hill, but I thought staying in a nice neighbourhood like Nob Hill would be preferable to being, say, down the hill on Union Square where it's louder and more crowded. And this turned out to to be the case- and the hill really doesn't have to be a big deal, because two different cable cars go that way (one of them up california street).

The bar/restaurant is nice, and for a solo traveller good because it isn't just all regular tables- plenty of sofas you can just perch on with a book, or at the bar. The lady at the front desk recommended a restaurant which turned out to be great- 'Nob Hill Cafe', and that's only a couple of blocks away.

I thought for $199 a night, to have a lovely quiet room like that, with a view, a good size, in a nice neighbourhood, was a bargain. (my frame of reference is Manhattan). Will definitely stay here again if I return to San Francisco.

Room Tip: Get one of the skyline rooms - only $50 a night more and you get a nice view. And they're top fl...
Dear Ejoch,

Thank you for your comments. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Your review was very informative and I am sure other users with find it very helpful. Thank you again for adding your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

The location high atop Nob Hill is beautiful, and fitting for the likes of the Fairmont, the Huntington, the Mark Hopkins, the Ritz-Carlton, and the Stanford Court Hotel, a Marriott Renaissance property. This was my first stay at the Stanford Court, and it won't be my last. It is from here on my first choice in SF.

The staff are accommodating and professional without being pushy or obsequious. The fake service environment encountered everywhere from banks to big box stores to medium tier hotels is nauseating. When you see it done right, it makes it all the better.

The bar is elegant, and the staff were patient with our group, given that it was our "last call" stop for the night. The furniture, atmosphere, selection, and service are outstanding.

The room I had was a tad behind the times, not much, just a tad, but it also wore its decoration with dignity. Same for the perhaps slightly more dated yellow patterned hall carpet. There is a dignity to the place that connotes a lack of self-consciousness, a lack of pretentiousness, and instead a connection to the timeless elegance of high service quality.

For a perfect night, make hotel reservations here, and dinner reservations at the Big Four up at the Huntington.

Room Tip: I love the sound of cable cars clanging away. If you don't, ask for a room removed from the Cal...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Manager_REN_SF, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Xenos1,

Thank you for your comments. We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience. I am so happy to hear that our Aurea lounge staff was so accommodating for you and your group. Thank you again for the wonderful feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

It's not a bad hotel, it's not a particularly good hotel.

If you care about aesthetics or design this is not the place for you. This is a very bland hotel. There is no particular reason to choose it.

If you only care to find a clean, friendly place, this place works.

The staff are really good, definitely wanting to provide high levels of service and hospitality. That's a plus.

But the hotel and the rooms have no character at all.

Enter the hotel driveway, and the surroundings tell you immediately not to expect too much. Enter the lobby, and the message is confirmed -- with some of the worst, least thoughtful design this side of the former Soviet Union. Then when you get to the room, cheap white tiles glare at you as you enter your room, as if to warn you not to expect too much from what you're about to see. And, sure enough, the furnishings scream low-quality discount furniture warehouse.

I care about design. So this place was clearly not for me. I slept ok. But I certainly didn't enjoy the place.

It was a clean bed, not much more.

That is true of most Marriott properties (though I've been pleasantly surprised once or twice). Even Marriott's Ritz hotels no longer have much real character or luxury to them.

Dear KeithDNY,

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback. I am glad to hear that our staff was accommodating for you. Thank you again for adding your experience.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

The Stanford Court Hotel is a classic boutique hotel, Service,staff,food and location were all fantasic,rooms were a little older but kepy very clean and super comfy beds.The location of this hotel we thought was in a great location with cable car stopping out the front (get the all day ticket really good value). the Hotel staff we all very good with answering all our questions (being our first time in San Fran) and were very helpful with anything we needed.Shopping,food,drinks are all good fun in San Fran(don't forget to get your MACY"S international shoppers discount card 15% off).Take the double decker bus tour it's just the best over the Goldern Gate(just amazing),and make sure you get off at fishermans wharf and have a seafood chowder in a sour dough roll yummy and heaps cheap.There is so much to do in and around San Fran you should have heaps of fun.enjoy

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Atlastitsholidaytime,

Thank you for your comments. I am sure that others will find this review very helpful. It is full of fun and exciting things to discover in San Francisco. We are very fortunate to be so centrally located in the city. Thank you again for adding your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.
Placerville, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We brought family with a six-month old to San Francisco for some holiday shopping, dining and fun the first weekend in December. We needed two rooms and priceline delivered for just $120 night for double occupancy for two rooms. We had a cocktail in the lobby bar before we went up to our rooms and the service at the bar was really slow....I needed to go find the wait staff to come over and take our order. On the other hand, the beds are super nice and we had a great nights sleep. Requested baby's crib was perfect to set up the baby and we appreciated the bellhops extra help with locating a lost cellphone and taking our slew of bags up to the rooms. The rooms are very small and dark and our view out the hotel was to the brick wall of the Top of the Mark restaurant next door (which by the way, is an excellent place for a superb sunday champagne brunch). I needed to confirm my Top of the Mark reservations via email and I was really uphappy to find that I needed to swipe my card before I could even check my email in the business center and it charges you starting at $7.50. I ended up with a $12 bill just to check my email. When I went to the desk to check out, I told the clerk of my concern and she told me the lobby based computers were available for free, but in checking into it, the lobby systems still require a card swipe of $7.50. Seems like every hotel wants to keep the charges going for as long as they can,but after a while, that makes it hard to enjoy the stay. Wish the rooms had more value for what they really were.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manager_REN_SF, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Lilitch,

Thank you for comments. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your rooms and that our bell staff was so accommodating, and able to locate your lost cell phone for you. To address the conversation you had with the desk staff. We do provide free WI-FI in the lobby, although there is a charge to use our computers. Compared to similar properties in this area we do feel that we offer good value given our central location and extensive facilities. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.

Been to Stanford Court San Francisco? Share your experiences!