“Great till the last day.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stanford Court San Francisco

You added Stanford Court San Francisco to your Saves list
Stanford Court San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   905 California Street, Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Formerly Renaissance San Francisco Stanford Court Hotel) (Nob Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #36 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orting
“Great till the last day.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Checked in on 11/07/2012. Everything was fine. Went to our room and all was as expected. The location is great. You're on top of the world, as far as San Francisco goes.I have'nt been to the area in years so we quickley unpacked and headed out to do a little exploring. Headed down to do some local shopping for the wife. After checking that out walked along until we happened on Johnny Foley's Irish House for dinner. Nothing to write home about but very tasty. Day two was all about business. The hotel took very good care of our group. Breakfast, lunch and snacks. Day two for being on our own was fun after business . Headed down to Fishermans warf and enjoyed the sites.Started walking back torwards our hotel and decided to stop and enjoy dinner at Piazza Pellegrini Italian restaurant located on Columbus Ave. Very good. Day three also was all business. Again the hotel took care of our group. This is where it went down hill. I decided to stay one extra day. My wife and I again returned to Fishermans warf and enjoyed dinner after exploring a little more. Tonight we tried Scoma's, again nothing to write home about. Worked our way back to our hotel and after resting for a bit decided to check out Tonga tiki bar across the street from us. We must not have fit their demographics( age 48 to 50 ) since they left us standing outside. Returned across the street, had a drink and returned to our room. The people checking in on Friday were vocal to say the least. Not a big deal as I bring ear plugs for this. Checking out Saturday was all good. Our flight didn't take off till 5pm so we checked our bags at the front desk and headed out to explore China town and had a great time. Worked our way back up to the hotel and still had two hours before we needed to head to the airport. We found a great place close to our hotel called the Nob Hill Cafe.We enjoyed a pizza and a couple local beers. Highly recomend this place. After we walked back to the hotel to get our luggage and head to the airport. Upon arriving we wanted to use the restroom were we found a lady was cleaning them and told us to use the ones on the other side. Ok I understand we need to get our job done but if you don't have people using your facility do you have a job? Got over this and then was told it would take five minutesfor their town car to take us to the airport, after waitin for over 20 minutes we were told we need to take a taxi.Luckly we made our flight.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Manager_REN_SF, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Duane H,

Thank you for your comments. I am so glad to hear that you were able to explore so much of the city while you were with us. The Nob Hill café is also one of my favorites as well. Thank you for your feedback on the issues that you faced on your last day as you were departing the hotel. I will address these issues to make sure it does not happen again. Thank you again for the wonderful comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to San Francisco.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This was a surprisingly good experience. We extended our vacation an extra day and needed a place in San Francisco for one night. I'm very particular and even for one night I compared reviews on TripaAdvisor and with so many great hotels in SF it's a really hard choice. I am not in the least bit disappointed that I went with Renaissance Stanford Court. What a classy hotel. I agree with other reviewers "old" not in a bad sense at all, but more in a historic sense that really does enhance the San Francisco experience. Great location at the top of Nob Hill near the Mark Hopkins. I really like this neighborhood. And the intersection of both cable car lines. What a great San Francisco feel to it. The staff were absolutely outstanding in their delivery of service, knowledge of local culture, just great staff. Restaurant was also a great surprise (I apologize I've forgotten the name) for dinner. The room was decent or even better sized. The bed was very comfortable, as was the bathroom, great big screen TV, nice and quiet. Just a classy, luxurious place. I usually am loyal to the Kimpton chain and with so many Kimptons in SF I couldn't believe I went with Stanford Court but am so happy I did. I really thought it was a bargain, a great value for the money for this city. I would stay here again when I return to San Francisco in a heartbeat. The only thing that turned me off was the one particular cab ride where the doorman convinced me to take a limo instead of a regular cab and it was kind of a ripoff but all the other taxis they got for me (except for the one I got myself because the people, not the staff, couldn't figure out how to handle getting a cab sitting right there so I got pissed and found one myself) worked out fine.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager_REN_SF, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Scrimpets,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room, our restaurant Aurea, and the staff. I cannot wait to share your kind words. Thank you again for the wonderful feedback. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.
Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Pros:
- friendly staff
- very clean rooms (!)
Cons:
- no sound proof windows for which reason you heard the cable cars running (the hotel is located next to two cable car lines)
- no breakfast buffet offered
- comparable expensive valet parking
- located on a hill which requests taking a taxi or cable car to go to the sights, respectively come back to the hotel after a whole day of sightseeing.
- restaurant is expensive

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Cosmopolit G,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and that the staff was friendly and helpful. I apologize in regards to any street noise you may have heard in your room during your stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This has always been an elegant, upscale pricey San Francisco flagship. On a recent business trip I spent nearly a week there. Service is cheerful, rooms are spacious, bedding is comfortable. However the rooms facing the courtyard are dark to begin with,and my room's lighting was so sparse, dim and poorly located that I needed a flashlight to look for something in my suitcase or the drawers. When I asked if there might be a brighter room, I was offered one at a $30 upgrade (which I declined as this room was nearly $300/night). It was impossible to pack or unpack other than in daylight and on the very early mornings that I needed to get to a meeting early, getting dressed was a real challenge. Ice is only available several floors away. I do believe whomever designed this room was never required to stay there. I would not return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Supposedly, rooms on the outside perimeter are brighter but noisy because of the cable cars. Rooms...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Andrea G,

Thank you for your comments. I was disappointed to hear about your experience in your room with the lighting. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further and can be contacted at sfdiscovery@renaissancehotels.com. Thank you.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel is very modern. Reception lady was so friendly and helpful. She pointed out all the nice restaurants and places to visit on the map and explained to us the easiest way to get around the city. The bed and pillow were very comfy. Our room was on the top floor, with nice view of the bay.

We booked the hotel for one night at an expensive rate a few month before our trip. My sister in law booked the same hotel last minute and paid half of what we paid. Wifi and internet were not included in the stay. You have to pay a daily usage rate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear YangCheung,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am so happy to hear that our staff was so helpful and that you enjoyed your room. Being on Nob Hill does have the benefit of having such great views of the city and the bay. We also do provide free wifi in our lobby. I am sorry if that was not brought to your attention. Rates can also be subject to availability and time of booking. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further and can be contacted at sfdiscovery@renaissancehotels.com. Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback.
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The Renaissance Stanford Court is a nice old place that evokes the classic San Francisco of Dashiell Hammett and Alfred Hitchcock. And I don't mean "old" in the negative sense. It's the kind of place they used to build, with solid wood doors, brass knobs, and real curtains. It's a solid, long-standing building that's seen San Francisco change into an international destination. And I don't mean "old" as in run-down. It's recent had $35 million in updates.

No, what you get here is a beautiful hotel experience in a venerable building located in one of the most beautiful parts of one of the world's best cities. On top of that, prices are very reasonable for SF. Hard to beat.

The rooms are spacious with views that range from very nice to jaw dropping depending on the location of your room. The food was excellent and the service superb. The courtyard makes dropping off, picking up, and parking a breeze in this city-with-no-parking-otherwise. And if you're here on holiday, the hotel sits at the intersection of two cable car lines and lies within walking distance of many of the city's signature attractions.

My only complaint -- and it's a stretch -- is that this hotel is on top of a steep hill. No surprises, right? This is San Francisco. But if you don't have a car (and you don't really need one if you're staying within the city), you're going to find yourself walking down the mountain and back up the mountain periodically. If you're cool with that, then this is definitely a great place to stay. I looked at it as a way to work in a little exercise and I'll definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: High rooms on the Northeast corner would seem to have the best views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Anne S, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Rabbit43,

Thank you for your outstanding review. We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor. I truly enjoyed reading your review, and you highlighted excellent points about the hotel. I am so happy you enjoyed the views and the charm of the Stanford Court. Thank you again for your wonderful feedback and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to San Francisco.
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We were in San Francisco for a wedding the weekend of 26-28 October 2012 and used Marriott Rewards points to stay at the Stanford Court Hotel. It was an exceptionally clear, sunny weekend in The City (as we used to refer to it; God forbid anyone would say "Frisco"). Checked in early Friday -- 10am -- but the desk clerk clicked around and got us a nice room. Hotel is older but very well maintained. All staff were very pleasant and helpful. Had a great stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear TPKerrCA,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear that we were able to accommodate an early check in for you so that you could explore the city and enjoy the room. I will share your wonderful feedback with our staff. Thank you so much and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next trip to San Francisco.

Been to Stanford Court San Francisco? Share your experiences!