“Hotel with view on the skyline” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stanford Court San Francisco

Save Saved
You added Stanford Court San Francisco to your Saves list
Stanford Court San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   905 California Street, Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Formerly Renaissance San Francisco Stanford Court Hotel) (Nob Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% off + Free Fast Wi-Fi
Ranked #58 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Germany
“Hotel with view on the skyline”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Pros:
- friendly staff
- very clean rooms (!)
Cons:
- no sound proof windows for which reason you heard the cable cars running (the hotel is located next to two cable car lines)
- no breakfast buffet offered
- comparable expensive valet parking
- located on a hill which requests taking a taxi or cable car to go to the sights, respectively come back to the hotel after a whole day of sightseeing.
- restaurant is expensive

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Manager_REN_SF, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Cosmopolit G,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and that the staff was friendly and helpful. I apologize in regards to any street noise you may have heard in your room during your stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.

1,159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This has always been an elegant, upscale pricey San Francisco flagship. On a recent business trip I spent nearly a week there. Service is cheerful, rooms are spacious, bedding is comfortable. However the rooms facing the courtyard are dark to begin with,and my room's lighting was so sparse, dim and poorly located that I needed a flashlight to look for something in my suitcase or the drawers. When I asked if there might be a brighter room, I was offered one at a $30 upgrade (which I declined as this room was nearly $300/night). It was impossible to pack or unpack other than in daylight and on the very early mornings that I needed to get to a meeting early, getting dressed was a real challenge. Ice is only available several floors away. I do believe whomever designed this room was never required to stay there. I would not return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Supposedly, rooms on the outside perimeter are brighter but noisy because of the cable cars. Rooms...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Andrea G,

Thank you for your comments. I was disappointed to hear about your experience in your room with the lighting. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further and can be contacted at sfdiscovery@renaissancehotels.com. Thank you.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel is very modern. Reception lady was so friendly and helpful. She pointed out all the nice restaurants and places to visit on the map and explained to us the easiest way to get around the city. The bed and pillow were very comfy. Our room was on the top floor, with nice view of the bay.

We booked the hotel for one night at an expensive rate a few month before our trip. My sister in law booked the same hotel last minute and paid half of what we paid. Wifi and internet were not included in the stay. You have to pay a daily usage rate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear YangCheung,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am so happy to hear that our staff was so helpful and that you enjoyed your room. Being on Nob Hill does have the benefit of having such great views of the city and the bay. We also do provide free wifi in our lobby. I am sorry if that was not brought to your attention. Rates can also be subject to availability and time of booking. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further and can be contacted at sfdiscovery@renaissancehotels.com. Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback.
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The Renaissance Stanford Court is a nice old place that evokes the classic San Francisco of Dashiell Hammett and Alfred Hitchcock. And I don't mean "old" in the negative sense. It's the kind of place they used to build, with solid wood doors, brass knobs, and real curtains. It's a solid, long-standing building that's seen San Francisco change into an international destination. And I don't mean "old" as in run-down. It's recent had $35 million in updates.

No, what you get here is a beautiful hotel experience in a venerable building located in one of the most beautiful parts of one of the world's best cities. On top of that, prices are very reasonable for SF. Hard to beat.

The rooms are spacious with views that range from very nice to jaw dropping depending on the location of your room. The food was excellent and the service superb. The courtyard makes dropping off, picking up, and parking a breeze in this city-with-no-parking-otherwise. And if you're here on holiday, the hotel sits at the intersection of two cable car lines and lies within walking distance of many of the city's signature attractions.

My only complaint -- and it's a stretch -- is that this hotel is on top of a steep hill. No surprises, right? This is San Francisco. But if you don't have a car (and you don't really need one if you're staying within the city), you're going to find yourself walking down the mountain and back up the mountain periodically. If you're cool with that, then this is definitely a great place to stay. I looked at it as a way to work in a little exercise and I'll definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: High rooms on the Northeast corner would seem to have the best views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Anne S, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Rabbit43,

Thank you for your outstanding review. We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor. I truly enjoyed reading your review, and you highlighted excellent points about the hotel. I am so happy you enjoyed the views and the charm of the Stanford Court. Thank you again for your wonderful feedback and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to San Francisco.
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We were in San Francisco for a wedding the weekend of 26-28 October 2012 and used Marriott Rewards points to stay at the Stanford Court Hotel. It was an exceptionally clear, sunny weekend in The City (as we used to refer to it; God forbid anyone would say "Frisco"). Checked in early Friday -- 10am -- but the desk clerk clicked around and got us a nice room. Hotel is older but very well maintained. All staff were very pleasant and helpful. Had a great stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear TPKerrCA,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear that we were able to accommodate an early check in for you so that you could explore the city and enjoy the room. I will share your wonderful feedback with our staff. Thank you so much and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next trip to San Francisco.
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Nob Hill hotel, next to Mark Hopkins and Top of the Mark. Near Old St. Mary's, the first Cathedral in California. Walking distance to Chinatown. The rooms are really good sized. If you're familiar with hotel rooms in NYC this will seem Mansion-size! Two full/queen beds and two over sized chairs with ottomans and still the room had plenty of space to walk around.Staff and room service are gracious and helpful. Beds were very comfortable. I could hear some hall activity if that is a complaint so be it. But I expect that in a hotel with hundreds of guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Anne S, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Dalycalifornia,

Thank you for your comments. I am so glad to hear that the location of our hotel and the room size worked out so well for you. I will share your kind words with our staff. Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next trip to San Francisco.
Cape Haze, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great location at the top of Nob Hill. We booked a suite with a beautiful view of the bay. The staff overwhelmed us with great service. Would stay there again! Loved having late night cocktails at the Top of the Mark right next door....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jamie B,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your experience about your recent stay with us. We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience. I cannot wait to share your kind words with our staff. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.

Been to Stanford Court San Francisco? Share your experiences!