“My "go to" hotel on Nob Hill” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stanford Court San Francisco

You added Stanford Court San Francisco to your Saves list
Stanford Court San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   905 California Street, Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Formerly Renaissance San Francisco Stanford Court Hotel) (Nob Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #30 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orange County, CA
“My "go to" hotel on Nob Hill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Nob Hill is home to some of the finest hotels in San Francisco. The location, in my opinion, cannot be beat.

The Renaissance Stanford Court is my "go to" hotel and I always leave the hotel feeling content and well-taken care of. Some may complain about the walk up the hill from Market Street. I, however, love the challenge of getting up Powell, Mason or the 180 steps of the last block of Taylor Street.

I'm also a fan of Grace Episcopal Cathedral, the Flood Mansion, and wonderful Huntington Park, which are all nearby the hotel.

I hesitated to write this review because I'm afraid that it may push up traffic to the hotel, and, raise prices. This is a luxury hotel. However, room prices are reasonable, especially in this city.

Here's the low down:

Staff: Amazing. Attentive, knowledgeable, plentiful. I like being recognized as a Marriott elite member. Also, the maître d'hôtel remembered me from a prior stay when I went to the restaurant for dinner.

Rooms: I like the rooms. I stayed on the 5th floor, in an outside room, along Powell Street. The rooms are quiet. I didn't hear people in rooms above, below or beside me. I enjoy the sounds of the city so I opened the push out windows.

Location: Amazing. Safe. Fashionable.

Club Lounge: Ok - but not great. However, it's better than many other Marriott's. This is a feature that Marriotts in the United States don't handle as well as Marriott's in Europe. Actually, had this been better, I would have given this hotel an "Excellent" rating. That said, I wish that Trip Advisor allowed for a half point more increment. This hotel deserves a 4-1/2.

I'll continue to stay at the Renaissance Stanford Court when I visit San Francisco.

Room Tip: I like the outside rooms for the view. However, the inside rooms guarantee quiet, and they have the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I recently stayed at the Renaissance for a conference I organized. In terms of the conference facilities and the hotel staff, I have nothing but the top level of praise. The staff were organized, helpful, pleasant and responsive -- on multiple levels. I would come here again for that alone. The rooms were also lovely with some wonderful pillows. I was sadly unable to spend much time in the room because I was so busy! They also brought in a fridge at my request and did not charge for it, which was particularly nice. I also enjoyed the gym, which was not huge but really did the trick. The only downside was, if you didn't want to eat at the hotel, you needed to do a bit of walking to find a place to eat. But given the central location and the value of walking for your heart, I very much enjoyed this. There are other good hotels around the area and Union Square, but if you can get a good deal on this hotel, I encourage people to try it. It is very much worth a stay for the customer service alone.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I chose this hotel in the middle of San Francisco based on its location, TripAdvisor reviews and its rate (179.00). Being a light sleeper and someone who has trouble falling asleep with noise, I was a little anxious about the reviews that mentioned noise. I called the hotel directly to ask for a quiet room and then later called to make sure they had noted that request. We were not disappointed; a room on the inside facing the courtyard was perfect for us, and both my husband and I slept better in this hotel than we have anywhere else. NOTE: If you are facing the streets - even the non-cable car streets - you WILL hear a ton of street noise, including the incredibly loud cable cars and taxi summoning whistles. It's just a busy spot.

The rooms, although small, are very nicely appointed with an extremely comfortable bed and even windows that open for some fresh air. The number one positive about this hotel, though, is the service. The attitudes of the employees at this hotel are wonderful and welcoming. The front door is opened every time you approach it, you are greeted warmly by every employee, and any request is filled almost instantly. On top of the incredibly welcoming atmosphere, the location makes Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, and many other spots very walkable (just get ready for the hills).

For dinner one night we walked about two blocks to the Nob Hill Cafe, which is a tiny neighborhood spot serving mostly Italian dishes. The food was fine, but nothing to rave about. Other nights we walked down into North Beach, which is only about a 15 minute walk. We did not try the hotel restaurant, but there were many options within a few minutes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Overall, the hotel itself was one of the best parts of our second trip to this lovely city. I loved this hotel and hope we can go back again someday!

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside - courtyard - lack a view but are quiet. Rooms on Powell and California will ha...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Now, don't get wrong. I'm not naive in terms of room rates and I fully expected to pay through the teeth for a room in San Francisco during a medical convention. So bear in mind that my rate was $499.00 per night, originally planned for 3 consecutive nights.

Beyond the antiquated decor and carpeting throughout the hotel, and the fact that the amenities were limited to shampoo, conditioner and body lotion, I didn't expect the following:
- whitish stains on the chair and the work area (let your mind wander, mine did)
- yellow stains on the roof of the bathroom above the shower
- hairs stuck on the bathroom ceiling and walls
- minibar was broken with no ETA for a fix ("they will get to it sometime soon")

To me this says laziness. Just how complacent is the housekeeping standard monitoring for these sort of items to go overlooked. 2 of the 3 take time to develop, and it's my opinion that they were known, yet simply untended. Sorry, no second chances here - these are simply inexcusable.

In the end, I checked out after the first night and stayed at the Fairmont which was right across the street and $50 less per night. Great stay - go there instead.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I really enjoy this hotel and it is my choice when in sfo. Convenient to all points in city, both cable car lines meet outside, very clean, friendly staff, rooms very comfortable. Modern interior, but bright and airy. If the bells of the cable cars are too noisy, request a room on the interior. You lose the view, which is often very nice, but gain some quiet. I enjoy the views and don't mind the mild sounds of the city. I'm a light sleeper, but never have trouble getting to bed. Concierge lounge is small, but comfortable and good choices of food. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed February 2012
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I generally don't do too much work in San Francisco, but when I do, I enjoy being near Union Square or Nob Hill. This part of town has rapid BART access from the airport and is on the cablecar route which makes for fun after work exploration. I do my best to keep my loyalty to the Marriott Family of hotels, but do have Hilton and Starwood accounts too. So far the best place in the Marriott group is the Renaissance. It offers the federal government rate for rooms, especially if you check a couple weeks out. Too far in advance, you can't see that rate for some reason. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Check in is a breeze and everyone..from doormen to bell boys know the area and offer great advice. I asked for some recommendation for a place for dinner in neighboring Chinatown (about 2 blocks from the front door). Great recommendations on that front too. The staff also offered information about complementary car service in the area around the hotel in the morning starting at 7 am. First come, first serve, a great way to get to office buildings in the financial district, city hall and the federal buildings.

The hotel is an older style on the outside, but has large rooms with stone countertops in the bath room. Rooms are very clean and functional. I'm on the east side of the 5th floor with a great view of the Coit Tower, TransAmerica Building and the Bay. The only minor ding against this hotel is the lounge for Elite members. The Club Lounge has a decent view of the financial district, but is a bit limited on food selections compared to other Renaissance Hotels.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Mom1002
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Great location for our family of 6. We were given a corner room with two beds connecting with a king room. It was a perfect set up with our 4 kids. Every morning we would stroll across the street for a great cup of coffee and then go and sit in the park to watch Tai Chi (also a small playground where the kids could run a bit).

I cannot say enough about the actual location on Nob Hill which was ideal in so many ways with the cable cars running right past the hotel. Although there was maintenance and all lines weren't running, it still was fine.

We walked a lot and were always so happy when we retuned to our peacful hill top oasis.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Stanford Court San Francisco? Share your experiences!