“Overall a good experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Stanyan Park Hotel

You added Stanyan Park Hotel to your Saves list
Stanyan Park Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   750 Stanyan Street, San Francisco, CA 94117 (Haight-Ashbury)   |
Ranked #145 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Salt Lake City
“Overall a good experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

I was surprised to see how negative the reviews of the Stanyan Park are. Our room was away from the street. I selected such a room on their website, and got what I asked for. The room was small, but workable. The view was non-existent, but the room was quiet. TV reception was poor. Our room was clean, even by my wife's very high standards. The staff were very helpful to us, day or night. The Stanyan does not have the amenities of fancier places, but I attribute the somewhat high cost to the location. Their contracted limo back to the airport costs no more than a cab and is highly recommended. From our perspective, the only true negative was the quality of the breakfast, which included trans-fat-laden muffins and other low-quality items. I can easily imagine that a "park view" room would be very noisy, so if you value your sleep, follow our lead and pick a room off the street.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
folsom ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

Needed to be close to UCSF Childrens Hospital-Our child was having a procedure. Advised hotel clerk we were a family of 2 adults, 2 kids. Was told only availability was 2 twins but hotel would push beds together to make one, and would bring in a roll away, that they have put many families in this room with absolutely no problem. I called a few hours before our arrival to make sure the room was ready as we would be in late-the manager? advised me the beds were screwed into the wall and a roll away would never fit in the room. I asked what to do, he repeatedly said "we will work it out when you arrive" I asked how, he just repeated himself. We arrived,I asked the manager? what could be done, he said "nothing" the beds are screwed into the wall and a roll away wont fit" I reminded him that he said "we would work it out on our arrival" He cooly said "nothing can be done w/the twins but they had other rooms but we would be charged more. So, we took the room w/2 twins.

• Liked — Hotel was very clean. Continental breakfast
  • Disliked — The manager? was so indifferent about the problem, straight face, as if he could care less. . .
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

This hotel was great, and so was the service from the personnel that worked there. I myself stayed in the 2 room suite which basically was bigger than my own apartment. My father was having surgery at UCSF and so the medical center is just a 10-15 minute walk away from the hospital. It was a bit pricey but definitely worth it. Customer Service was great, rooms were clean and have a Victorian type of style to them.
The only negative thing that I can think of is that there isn't parking available for hotel guests. So if you do plan on staying at this hotel plan on paying extra for parking ($15 a night) across the street.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2007

I arrived to the hotel at 10PM and was told, "Oh, by the way, we don't have a room for you. I think a pipe burst, or something." They had found a room for me at the Great Motor Inn on the Great Highway but could not offer me taxi money to get there or to my conference downtown the next day. The receptionist was relunctant to call any of the hotels within walking distance saying "I think we already called them" and "They ususally don't answer their phones this time of night." Overall, the receptionist was very casual and unhelpful regarding the situation. Fortunately, a friend offered me a sofa to sleep on for the night.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

We picked the Stanyan Hotel because it was close to Golden Gate Park. We were visiting San Francisco for a music festival held in the park so the location was perfect. The high ceilings and crown moldings throughout the hotel were charming. The suite had a real kitchen (range, refrigerator, dishwasher) and was fully stocked with dishes, glassware, cookware, etc. We never did use the kitchen beyond the glassware due to all the great restaurants the area had to offer. Although if one had to stay several days, this would be the way to do it.

We were surprised by the large dining room and living room. There was a comfy queen-sized bed in one room and two twins in the other. There was also a sofa sleeper which some friends were forced to use when another near by hotel canceled their reservation due to a late arrival (whoever heard of this?). Really the suite was more like a nice sized (for San Francisco) apartment. The staff was friendly and the breakfast spread served in the morning was adequate. If you have to stay several days, I'd highly recommend the suite.

• Liked — Felt more like someone's home than a hotel room.
  • Disliked — It's an older building so it should be expected, but the window are heavy.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
Birmingham, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

We stayed in the Stanyan Park Hotel on the last night of our trip to SF and had had trouble finding anywhere because of it being a Friday night.

The hotel is OK - the descriptions talk about it being refurbished which is fine if you like the idea of a faded 1950s B&B refurbishment with lots of pink and chintz.. I actually found it quite depressing and reminded me of too many faded British seaside hotels.

We had a room that was "internal" so we had one very small window in the bedroom that looked out onto an internal shaft (I think it was room 103?) and the window in the bathroom (which was huge and lovely by the way!) looked directly into the room next door and we could hear everything they were saying. I have to say that their room looked a lot better than ours with a lovely big window and lots of space. Ours was a little dismal and depressing so maybe we were just unfortunate but worth bearing in mind for anyone wanting to book here.

The reception staff were pleasant enough but not quite as ebulliently helpful as the experiences we had had elsewhere in California.

At least the price included breakfast which made it a little more bearable. The breakfast was plentiful if a little basic.

The situation of the hotel is great if you want to visit the Golden Gate Park as it is right near the entrance but it is a little out of the way for other attractions (though there is a great bus service that gets you into the centre within about 15 minutes).

Would I stay there again? No but that doesn't mean that it might not appeal to other people!

• Stayed September 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Santa Cruz area CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2007

I waited till the very day of travel when a massive musical event was planned in Golden Gate Park; still they were extremely accomodating & tried to save me their last room - I explained my situation that an out-of-the area friend invited me at the last minute; with the Bay Bridge closed that weekend I'd never have made it to the event without their consideration & accomodations.
They let my 15 year old stay free - I felt pretty safe in the area despite my 11:00 p.m. arrival on a Sat. night. Managed to park right on the street next to the hotel, and there was a pizza eatery nearby very conveniently.
Beds exceptionally comfortable, bathroom & room impeccably clean - had a very quiet inside room - free internet downstairs & continental breakfast. Breakfast could be slightly expanded upon; but at least we were full & got no decent meal during the musical event (all day) but remained full enough from the eggs, etc.
Staff extremely friendly - very very helpful and concerned; most reassuring. A small and charming Queen Anne Victorian totally refurbushed - very atmospheric. A Wonderful Change from Mega Hotels w/zero personality in some cases.
Prior remarks true that this is like living in the City (which I did years ago) instead of stopping at a big hotel like a tourista.
A nice touch - if I'd have had more time to spend I am sure I would have loved resting in the cozy, decorative room.

Do give Stanyan Park a try - it's convenient if you're going to the locations near Golden Gate Park, and a wonderful respite from Big City Life!
Very beautiful & historic building, plus gracious service here.

• Liked — Superior old San Francisco atmosphere w/modern touches - super helpful staff
  • Disliked — no pool but that was expected in an old Victorian!!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Stanyan Park Hotel? Share your experiences!