“Huge Dissapointment” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Stanyan Park Hotel

You added Stanyan Park Hotel to your Saves list
Stanyan Park Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   750 Stanyan Street, San Francisco, CA 94117 (Haight-Ashbury)   |
Ranked #145 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Charleston, South Carolina
“Huge Dissapointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel one night, and was excited to stay in a SF historic property...will never go back. This place is on the National Register of Historic Properties, looks great from the outside, but the inside hasn't been updated in many, many years. I felt like I was walking into the hotel from the Shining. The front desk staff was ok, definitely not the friendliest. When we entered the room the smell of bleach, old stale cigarettes, old curtains and old carpet was very evident - a musty, funky odor. The pink carpet was dirty and stained, and scratched furniture belonged in a cheap antique market. The whole place was just, ugh...especially considering the $200 + / night price tag. The continental breakfast was just OK. Good location next to the Park, but I think that this hotel only wants to cater elderly folks who are visiting family in the hospital - not the 30-something couple on vacation. Don't expect this to be a cool, vintage, or neat place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This charming but dated hotel is located about 3 blocks from UCSF which made it convenient for visiting my son. There are only about 3 hotels really close to the hospital. I first called The Carl Hotel and the
receptionist was really pleasant. She said the hotel was next to the metro and the outside noise
was rather loud to light-sleepers. The rates at the Carl were half the price of the Stanyan Park
Hotel and they gave a discount to UCSF visitors. She said that the Stanyan also gave a discount
so I called them. They first said that they are listed online as giving a discount to UCSF people,
but they didn't any longer. They had one room left on a Saturday afternoon that I was told was a
deluxe Queen room in the middle of the hotel - a very quiet room. The price was almost triple what the Carl Hotel quoted, but in desperation I booked the room so I could be close to my son at the hospital. When I first saw the room I was very disappointed. The room was very narrow,
and small. It was only large enough for one person, and I didn't understand why they said it
was a deluxe room. The furniture was too large for the room, the bed was uncomfortable, and there wasn't any
air-conditioning. There was a window that was open, without a screen that served as the air-conditioner. The room was musty and warm even when the outside temperatures were in the 70's. While it was clean, it certainly wasn't
worth the $175!!!!

They did serve a continental breakfast in the morning that consisted of some packaged muffins,
yogurt, some fruit, and coffee. The breakfast room was quaint, and I enjoyed reading the newspaper and having coffee but wasn't impressed by the food.

While the room was mostly quiet, I did hear people walking down the halls throughout the night.

The best thing about the hotel is that it is close to Golden Gate Park, the Haight/Ashbury district, and the hospital. There
is little street parking available, but there's a parking lot about 3 blocks away,

If you have a car, and don't need to go to the hospital, or do business in the area, I would stay further out of town where
the parking isn't an issue and where you can get a better hotel value.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any king sized beds available.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The staff is friendly. Clean. It's next to Golden Gate Park and in the middle of town. Charming location but the place appears to be run a little on the cheap with slow Wi-Fi, tired furniture, old beddings, motel-ish continental breakfast etc.

Just a heads up on the area (which is not the hotel's fault), there are legions of homeless and vagrants nearby -- at Golden Gate Park and on the sidewalks very close to the hotel. But it is also a fun, interesting area right next to Haight Street.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hollywood Hills, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Very pleasant staff, clean and quiet, directly across from Golden Gate Park and a block south of Haight St., during our visit the ice machine was out and the staff didn't seem particularly interested in meeting our need/request for it (for a swollen knee from walking), but suggested that I could go down the street to the Irish pub for some.

Room Tip: If you like quiet, don't get a room overlooking the park.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Waltham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed here one long weekend in May and it turned out to be the perfect place for this visit as we were attending a wedding in Golden Gate Park. Our clean room was small, just one tiny window, and it was in a quiet area. The bed was OK, but a bit tired. Still, it was all we needed for we were out and about every day: one day walking up and down Haight Street exploring some of the great vintage clothing stores and of course Amoeba Music, another day walking into Golden Gate Park with visits to California Academy of Sciences and to the Arboretum. If you want to see some of the best Victorian architecture San Francisco has to offer, that, too, is easy and enjoyable walking distance from this hotel. Hungry for lunch or dinner, you have many restaurants to choose from as well as a Whole Foods a block away where we bought freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruits, and bread/bakery goods to supplement breakfast and for snacks. The best meal we had was dinner the Thursday evening we arrived when the food trucks were parked across the street. The baos we had from Chairman Bao were superb. We especially recommend the duck. Another great thing about the Stanyan Park is the STAFF! Really nice, friendly people--everyone was extremely helpful. On the so-so end of the spectrum: the breakfast wasn't great. Lots of white bread and bagels, small sugary pastries, watery juice, and OK coffee. Our room could have used some updating, or at least a new window shade which would have done a lot to improve the look. And, yes, the hotel is in an area where many homeless people live. If you are at all uncomfortable with this, then this location is not for you. And if you are looking for upscale shopping, better to stay in Union Square.
I gave the hotel a 4-point rating, but in reality it could be a 3.5. or maybe 3.75. With an improved breakfast, and a little freshening up of the rooms, it would be a very good, and with new beds an even excellent place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located across for the entrance to Golden Gate block, a few blocks for the UCSF medical center, and the Haight/Ashbury district. If doing business in this area, this is one of your better options. This is an old historic hotel, in need of a little loving care and update. Several of the rooms are in the "inside" and do not have windows. I highly recommend spending the money for an outside room. The mattress was comfortable. The bedspread and blanket were old and discolored. The bathroom is small. There is no full length mirror in the room or comfortable table/desk to work on your computer. My room had a large screen TV with limited channels, no premium available. Free WI-FI, good connectivity. Furniture old- which is different than old and a period piece. Breakfast was a simple continental breakfast, prepackage food, nothing special. Overall the hotel was clean and comfortable. If doing business in that area, I would stay again because of the convenience of the location Beware- don't go to the Thai restaurant two blocks. The hotel clerk recommended it, said it was one of the best in the area. It was some of the worst Thai food I ever had.

Room Tip: I had a room facing Stanyan Street and the park. I didn't have a problem with any loud street no...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I travel very frequently, and this is the first time I have EVER written a review on a hotel in a negative way. However, THIS BAD REVIEW IS WARRANTED AND HOPEFULLY WILL PREVENT OTHER FROM HAVING SUCH A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE.

First off, if you want a hotel rooms with dingy carpets and disgusting bedding. This is the place for you.

Second, if you want amazing views of walls out of your window, also a great place to be able to reach outside your window and hit the wall of the next unit.

Third, if you want rude and unprofessional staff, you got it! These folks are TOP NOTCH in this department. When I checked in, the front desk personnel was asleep in the back room. When I checked in, I asked him where I could park. He said that I could park in front of the hotel until 8 am the next morning without issue. THEN, when I went to move my car the next morning, I had a $65 parking ticket on the car. When I talked to the manager, he said that I could talk to the guy from the night before on my own, as if this was an argument among two kids on a playground. I insisted that they cover the parking ticket, and they refused. Then, they offered to take $40 off my hotel room. However, apparently they do not get reimbursed for travel frequently. Who would ever guess that universities do not reimburse for parking tickets - IDIOTS!

In short, I could not WAIT to get out of there. Uncomfortable, filthy, rude....need I say more.

Thank you, Stanyan Park, for making other hotels so easily look good!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Stanyan Park Hotel? Share your experiences!