“Great Hotel, Great Treatment on a Reward Night” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #29 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sacramento, California
“Great Hotel, Great Treatment on a Reward Night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed here using Priority Club points. We received a deluxe corner room on the 25th floor, which was great.

The room was spacious, bigger than what I've stayed in at the Intercontinental Mark Hopkins (also in SF). Everything was new and clean. This will likely be my family's go-to hotel for trips to the city.

Stayed February 2014
Monica D, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Echocrest,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and even used IGH Reward points for your stay! We're delighted that you love our large rooms and want to make us your go-to hotel in San Francisco. We hope to see you again soon!

Area Reservations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Indonesian first
Costa Mesa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

The hotel is beautiful and our experience with the staff was pleasant. We did not visit the restaurant or bar so I cannot comment on them. The positives were that the views were great from the 30th floor, the rooms were clean, the bed was comfortable, and the concierge was helpful.

The negatives include being outrageously charged for valet parking ($59/night), bottled water ($8), and WiFi ($15/day). I would think that when you are paying north of $250 per night for a room they could include a bottle of water and WiFi. Sticking it to you for these items doesn't feel good and kind of ruined it for us. There is a small fridge in the room but no room to put anything in it as it is stocked with mini bar items which you are charged for if you move them.

Finally, the hotel is located in an area with a lot of homeless people and walking around at night was a little scary for me and my wife. This is not the hotels fault, I just think it might be helpful for some people making a decision on where to stay.

Room Tip: We paid an extra $40 to move get a room on the 30th floor instead of being on the 9th floor. We fel...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Teamsabo,

We appreciate all guest feedback and thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We're glad to hear you found our hotel beautiful and our staff so pleasant, we always try to make each guest feel welcome. I understand your frustration with the cost of parking, however parking is at a premium in downtown San Francisco (as with all major cities) and we do keep our parking costs in line with other hotels in the area. We are pleased to announce that everyone who signs up for our IHG Rewards program will receive complimentary WiFi, a truly great amenity, in addition to points for every dollar spent. We do hope you would considering staying with us again to give us the opportunity to change your opinion of our hotel and to take advantage of everything InterContinental has to offer.

Israel, Jerusalem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

our stay was in may 2013. for the price we paid with a last minute deal through Rommer website it was great! the bed was so comfortable that we called the front desk to know where we can buy their pillows (and they went over their heads to find me the answer). our problems started only now in January 2014 when we saw in the end of the year audit we had that they charged us twice and for a higher charge few months later. after few calls it was finally solved but we are still waiting to know how that could have happened from the beginning and why this luxurious brand thinks they can just take the money straight from my bank without contacting me first if they had any problem with the billing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Monica D, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear amiroi,

Thank you for leaving this review of your experience with our hotel. I apologize for the frustration you've had with this billing issue. We would like to speak with you further about this and hope you contact our Guest Service Manager, Hizkia Larranaga at hizkia.larranaga@ihg.com at your leisure.

Arnhem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I visited this hotel during a 5 day stay for a meeting. It is really close by the moscone center. But in fact really close by a lot of great things in SF. Near market street with al nice stores, union square and the beginning of the powellstreet cable cars. The hotel was good. Had the best breakfast with a lot of fresh foods, yoghurt etc. the rooms were spacious, and the bed good. The bathroom had one problem that I couldn't take a bath because the water kept running down the drain. The personnel were nice and helpfull. I also liked the gym and even better a real pool the do some laps.

Room Tip: If you have lower rooms be Shute that your on the street side because the other side has the airco m...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear loor,

Thank you for leaving such a nice review of your stay. We're so glad you thought our location was so accessible, our breakfast so delicious, our rooms so comfortable and our excellent pool and gym. I apologize for the issue you experienced with the bathtub drain and I have passed your comment along to our engineering department. Thank you for mentioning our nice and helpful staff and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Best,

Wayland, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Intercontinental in San Francisco for 3 nights during the Apps World conference. Although the group rate was decent and the quick walk over to Moscone West was super convenient, i found myself missing the W hotel which I had stayed at in Sep 2014. The first morning I woke up with a strange rash on my forehead. I have an allergy to specific kind of industrial detergents and it looked like the same reaction. On second morning i went for a swim at the pool - which is perfect for lap swimming and was thankfully empty. After i used the towel provided at the pool, i headed back down to my room to prepare for the day ahead. To my unfortunate surprise I noticed a rash all over my forearms and back of my arms, which is the same allergic reaction i have gotten in the past. Again, it was most probably a use of industrial detergents in the towels.

The room view was nice, but i felt that the lack of in room amenities was an annoyance in addition to discovering that the hotel uses industrial detergents on the towels and sheets.

There was no coffee or tea prep available in the room, and was charged a $3 fee for the to go coffee in the lobby!

I probably will not stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Scanna,

I apologize for the frustrating stay you experienced while staying with us. While I'm glad you found the room nice and location convenient I'm sorry this was overshadowed by your allergic reaction to our detergents. I also apologize for the lack of coffee maker in your rooms as it is our standard to have one in each guest room. We would like the opportunity to speak with you further about your stay and hope you contact our Guest Service Manager, Hizkia Larranaga at hizkia.larranaga@ihg.com. We look forward to speaking with at your convenience.

Best,

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

this hotel is centrally located and has good access to public transport from which to explore the City. It is located down town and close to most conference venues.

- check in was slow as a bus full of people arrived. Took around 30 - 40 minutes.
- rooms were very modern and comfortable. The view was nice. large shower but the water pressure was not great. Lovely comfortable bed. Large, spacious rooms.
- breakfast was mediocre. Service was quite slow.
- bar area was nice but the bar closed before midnight!
- check-out was efficient and easy to get a car to the airport.

Overall I enjoyed this hotel and it was very comfortable, but compared to other Intercontinental's I thought that the service was not up to scratch. Nonethe less I am not so concerned about service and would definately stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ryanbruce,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, we appreciate all guest comments. We're glad you thought our location was so convenient, our rooms so modern and comfortable with nice views and thought our checkout was so easy and efficient. I apologize for the extended check in time you experienced. We do look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to San Francisco and providing you with an excellent stay.

Cranston, Rhode Island, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

More than anything, I think the staff at the Intercontinental was wonderful! I traveled there for a conference that was at the hotel--what impressed me most was the friendly and courteous staff that I encountered throughout my stay (from the concierge through the buffet servers). The rooms were large, comfortable and clean--the hotel is a little away from the main Union Square area, but it's only a 10 minute walk to Market Street and the streetcar lines, so it's still convenient.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Krssy215,

Thank you for writing this review of your stay with us. We're so glad you found our location so easy, our rooms so big and clean and particularly our staff so wonderful. We take pride in providing exceptional guest service and we thank you for mentioning how much you enjoyed all of our staff, from the concierge to the buffet servers. We hope you will stay with us again in the near future so we can wow you again.

Area Reservations Manager

Been to InterContinental San Francisco? Share your experiences!