“Nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oslo, Norway
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed for two nights in August. Ok and clean, location is ok a short walk from Union Square. Helpfull consierge, service great from them. We stayed in a clubroom, but the clublounge felt cold and had a smell we didn't like.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in late August and initial impression was fairly good. On our last night we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant & that’s where the enjoyment ended. We were treated incredibly badly by the hostess – she suggested we could have room service since we were staying there – we were not rude to her & were dressed appropriately so there was no reason for her comments. We still insisted on a table & whilst the food was good, she had spoiled the evening for us. We advised the front desk upon checkout next day, who put us onto a room service manager who said he would get the food & beverage service director to contact me the next day. 3 weeks later, I’d heard nothing so I went into their website & filled in a feedback form requesting contact – that was over 2 weeks ago & they still haven’t had the courtesy of responding.

Should you choose to stay here, if there are any issues, complain loudly then & there as that appears to be the only way you will get a response – we witnessed this first hand in the restaurant when another couple complained and were immediately offered an apology & compensation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ICSF-Management, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for your review. Our sincerest apologies that the entirety of your stay was not excellent. The Director of Food and Beverage, Tobias Gessner, would like to speak with you directly; his email address is as follows:
tobias.gessner@ihg.com

Again, thank you for your constructive feedback.

Warmest Regards,
Intercontinental San Francisco Management
Regina, Sask.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

it's a few blocks outside of Union Square, but worth the walk. The concierge was kind enough to recommend a hop on, hop off pass that they were able to sell us at half price. Which was a great means to get around town. Staff were very kind, happy and helpful. The rooms facing the Bay and city were fantatstic. Floor to ceiling windows, (corner room) wrapped right around the entire room. Go see Alcatraz.Highly recommend the Intercontinental on Howard & 5th

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

No sure if this is now the practice, or I'm the unlucky one.
My last stay there in August and current visit do not have welcome fruit. I do not get even my bottle of water on some nights as well as the club access.
Service is also bad. Last visit in August with a bad experience at check out. This time, I have the bad experience with their valet parking service. I called concierge that I would like to have my car pulled up and when I went downstairs after 10 minutes, the car was not there yet. :(

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear dinernothappy,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We take comments such as these seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Regards,

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed for a conference and thoroughly enjoyed it. Last year, for the same conference, stayed at the Marriott on 4th which was great, but not this good.

Intercontinental's rooms (mine was on the 21st with a great view of the city) are marvelous. Mine featured a king bed, ample desk space and a great bathroom. My favourite feature being the shower - a very large, walk in affair with multiple heads.

Hotel bar is relatively lively with a good selection of drinks, including grappa. The restaurant which I only used for breakfast was very good. Expect the usual high prices ($50 for breakfast) but worth it.

Concierge services sorted out my travel back to the airport. Bell desk held on to a personal delivery. Every member of staff I encountered was very professional and efficient. For the Moscone Centre, the location is perfect (one block).

Parking (which I didn't need) is just under $60 per day, valet only. To be expected here in the city.

Corporate rate was $335/night.

Room Tip: The higher floors afford a better view of the city (mine was 21st). The king rooms are spacious and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Loved this hotel. Friendly welcome at reception, gave us a corner room without asking! Perhaps they took pity on us after our 11 hour flight! The room was so quiet and spacious with fantastic views. The Club Lounge was well worth the extra. Loved their afternoon teas and drinks in the evenings. Great location.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor for better views.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Brentwood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at this property during one of the biggest conferences in San Francisco. Upon walking into the hotel, I was greeted with pleasant smiles and great customer service. The check-in process was flawless! I was even upgraded and given “Club Level Access. “ I figured that I would visit the club level sometime during the week. The front desk agent was very professional and pleasant. My keys were given and I was on my way. Upon walking towards the elevator, I was very much impressed with how clean and spotless the public area was. I figured if the PA is this clean, I can only imagine my room. I finally got to my room on the 33rd floor. As I walked in, I noticed the beautiful scenic view!! Stunning!! Well, I wasn’t disappointed with my room. The room was spotless! Wow.. now this is what I call clean. During the week, my room was serviced and given turn down service upon my late arrival back to the room. I really enjoyed the DTS. The room was made up for the tired traveler to only take off their shoes and get into their night attire and call it a night!! Well done! On my last night, I finally made it down to the Club Level. The set up was nicely done. However, the choice of spirits left for consumption can use some help!! There was only 3 selection left. Whiskey, and honestly I can’t even remember the other two. The cheese platters should have been refreshed. So, I called it a night. I figured that I would go down for breakfast in the morning. The next day, I went down for a quick bite. The presentation of the food was nicely done..Kudos to the team!! I arrived at the front desk to checkout. I’m a Starwood guy and love my SPG status. I requested that my stay points be converted into miles. The process should have been flawlessly done, but it appeared that it was more complicated for the agent to process for the guest. I was told to go online and start to process. Ok… Anyway, this little hiccup was not going to overshadow my wonderful stay!! Kudos to the Housekeeping team, Security, 95% of the Front Desk team (-5% for the hiccup on points conversion to miles) and management! I will recommend this property to all of my traveler friends when coming to SF!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental San Francisco? Share your experiences!