“Fantastic Meal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Perbacco

Perbacco
230 California St., San Francisco, CA 94111 (Financial District)
415.955.0663
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Perbacco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #96 of 5,004 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Battery
Transit: Bart: Montgomery station. Muni: Market and 1st St. stops.
Hartland, Wisconsin
“Fantastic Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Visited in early Nov 2012. I spent 6 days in SF and surrounding areas. Our meal at Perbacco was the standout. I'm surprised to see some of the negative reviews regarding the food. Everything had excellent flavors, very unique, definitely not your typical, everyday Italian restaurant.

Started with an order of coujette (Potato gnocchi in a duck ragu) as an appetizer.
This was to die for, melt in your mouth gnocchi, with an excellent sauce.
My wife then ordered the pasta stuffed butternut squash as her main course, she loved it.
I ordered the beef short rib, excellent flavor, cooked to perfection; was like cutting through butter.

We ate upstairs which seemed a little more formal but not overtly, downstairs definitely seemed a bit louder. Had excellent service, our waiter was top notch. There was bar and wine service upstairs, so didn't have to go up and down the stairs with drink orders. The sommelier was informative, we had already ordered a wine from the Mt Etna region of Sicily, and were then informed the wine maker was in town for a few days. We chatted with the winemaker and the sommelier for around five minutes, it was quite clear they were both very passionate about the wine selected.

Looking forward to visiting again!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“First rate birthday dining experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Five friends of mine and I met at Perbacco to celebrate one of our group's birthday. We were seated at the long table next to the kitchen, which was delightful as the proximity kept us warm and those seated facing the kitchen had an eye on all of the culinary action. We ordered several of the appetizers: salumi misti, burrata cheese, roasted baby beets and salad of fall fruits. The standout for me was the burrata (simply delicious) and the fall fruits with its scrumptious pears! The rest of the table loved the salumi misti and ore than once one of my friends would just scoop up an unidentifiable slice of fresh meat, pop it into their waiting mouth and let out an "mmmmm"! Salumi Misti, you were a success! Onto the entrees: two people (including my husband) ordered the Capicollo Arrosto – Slow roasted pork shoulder and both loved it! I had the Raviora – Pasta filled with roasted butternut squash / toasted hazelnuts / pomegranates which I thought was perfection in the sense that the pasta was delicate and sweet, the butternut squash fresh and the hazelnuts and pom seeds a great touch. I would order again! The birthday girl ordered the truffle special (only available for a certain period in November $49) and was over the moon with her choice. The two other entrees escape me, I know one was a fish entree...at any rate there were no complaints! Everyone was beyond satisfied with their meals and the service, which was attentive but never stifling, made the occasion all that more special. Barely able to consider dessert a couple of selections were made and shared. The birthday girl did receive hers with the Happy Birthday message in chocolate and a personalized HB card from the staff! Nice touch. Oh! Delicious bread sticks and pesto/balsamic are brought to the table once you are seated, water glasses are never empty, noise level is appropriate and you can't beat $10 valet parking in the Financial District, hello?? Great experience, delicious meal, good place for a celebration but reservations are a M.U.S.T.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Disappointing to say the least”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We made a mistake - this is really a "power" lunch place, that is also open for dinner - but it just did not work for us. To top it off, the food was really average (at best). Now, I will say this, the wait staff was very good and, when the owner/manager found out we did not care for our food, they comped most of the meal - very classy. I would probably give it another try (many restaurants have an off night or meal), but realize that his place is a bit stuffy and can be very loud

Visited June 2012
San Francisco, California
“Completely underwhelmed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Was there with a group of 40+ for lunch on a weekday, the fish was overcooked and just lukewarm when served. I expected a bit better, even though I understand it was a big group and it is probably difficult for the kitchen.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Ridgefield, Connecticut
“High Priced Chef Boyardee”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I were in San Francisco after a beautiful drive up the coast from LA. We were looking forward to a wonderful meal, espcially after all the postive reviews. We were quite disappointed from the moment we sat down. The ambiance was poor due to tables too close together (and we live near NYC, where tables can get very tight) and it was difficult to have a conversation. The wine was extremely overpriced compared to the dinner menu...$13 for an average glass of Pinot Noir. The most disappointing part of the night were our meals. I ordered the pappardelle and my boyfriend ordered the tajarin. Both of us agreed that the quality was below average and jokingly equated it with eating chef boyardee! Overall we were quite disappointed after reading all previous the positive reviews.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere