“Perfect location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel G San Francisco

You added Hotel G San Francisco to your Saves list
Hotel G San Francisco
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   386 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Union Square)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #56 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is close to the BART station, cable car, shopping area, restaurants and Union Square. The hotel is under construction but room are well furnished. The rooms have a Nespresso machine. Good size room and clean. Free wifi in the hotel room. They charge $100 up front for incidentals. We wanted to have a late check out as our flight was late at night and when I asked the front desk how much they charge they advised it's half the price of the daily rate, I asked again if I checked out 1 or 2 hours late, they advised it's still the same price. It was just too costly for me. Valet parking is about $50.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Arlington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Great location if you are attending a conference or otherwise want to be in Union Square. Clean, super quiet (we were on the 10th floor and not near the elevator). Staff is incredibly cheerful and helpful. David J, in particular really seems to enjoy helping guests enjoy the city with recommendations and assistance. Ana was also super kind. Everyone was, really.

This is not a luxury experience, but a fair price, given the location.

Beds,pillows, towels, shower, robes, all were terrific.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel G for one week and could not have been more disappointed. I wasn't expecting 4 stars at the heavily discounted price, but I was expecting toilet paper and cleanliness. When we walked into the hotel, I feared that googling to ensure the hotel wasn't a refurbished SRO gave me the wrong links as it smelled like a urinal. I've never been in an elevator that looked like they'd painted it gold to cover the blood stains and not just the fact that they are old, and original to the building. The most disappointing aspect was the level of cleanliness. I'm used to a variety of small hotels but I've never had to ask multiple times for toilet paper or purchase my own cleaning supplies because our bathroom wasn't cleaned despite asking multiple times. When I saw a cleaning person with a swiffer, I was much happier about my purchase. I'm all for reusing towels but four days in a row? Our bed was large, but incredibly lumpy and the lighting was just ridiculous. I cannot count the number of times that I had to listen to those ridiculous bath tub chains jangle against the glass. The molding in the room was crooked as well but one of the worst aspects of the hotel is the two inch gap at the bottom of the door. This ensured that I didn't get a decent nights sleep the whole week, as I was privy to every conversation in the hallway as if the people were standing next to me. The mirror was in the worst place possible for the room and we tried to recycle, but each day we returned to a growing pile of garbage and recycling which made it look as if we were hoarders. The only pro of this hotel was the location and the mini fridge, which we used for our snacks. I feel that the hotel was renovated quickly and cheaply, and unfortunately it shows.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

This hotel advertised a soft opening and wow was it soft. The entrance was under some serious construction so we did not have a good first impression. There is a note that parking is available for $50 a night at the front of the hotel and more if you have what they class as a large car. The car isn’t even parked onsite so you have to hope that the parking spots on the busy street in front of the hotel are available for you to unload your stuff. The rooms are not well designed even though their website gives a totally different impression. The interior design idea is there but hasn’t been executed with functionality in mind. The doors between rooms were blocked by large lamps so you couldn’t commute easily through them and in my parents room the basin wasn’t in the bathroom but instead, was hanging out next to my parents bed in the bedroom. In our room, the tap handle fell off, there wasn’t any water pressure in the shower and the temperature control was non-existent- read hot or cold and no in-between. The price was steep for a soft opening at $220 AUD plus taxes a night. The staff seemed fresh and eager but were clearly inexperienced. My parents were charged twice and had to call three times over 12 days to have the matter sorted. The location is central and they have free WIFI otherwise I don’t recommend this hotel to anyone at this stage of construction, it’s got promise but was too raw when we stayed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

The downside of Hotel G is it is not yet 100% ready for the masses. The upside is the rooms are done and they are very good. The bed works and the place is very clean. The staff are very friendly and helpful . Don't expect concierge level service. .
The location is good , right off the union square and is central to getting around. Don't think about walking to the wharf area unless you plan to tackle one of those ridiculous hills.

Nespresso in the room makes up for a lot. Nothing better than real café in the morning.

At this time they offer a big discount on the rack rate because it is in renovation but that wont last as Union Square prices are high and boutique hotels seem to be the rave.

San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Hotel G is a new hotel at Geary and Mason; very close to public transportation, shopping, theaters and numerous restaurants. It's a very easy walk from the Powell St BART station and there's a bus stop right across the street from the hotel. My husband and I stayed here for one night for the Paul McCartney concert at Candlestick Park and we could not have been happier with our room - the bed was wonderful! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We also ran into Carolina Perdomo, the Human Resources Manager, when we were "snooping" on the 12th floor and she could not have been nicer in showing us around and telling us about the history of the building. They are working on a restaurant and gym for the hotel but not to worry - there are tons of restaurants around this area. Hotel G is a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better - ours was on the 7th floor and great.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

First of all, I wish the best of luck for the hotel's official opening - nice hotel, very comfy room, friendly staff and cleaning staff, and great location. The hotel reminds me of W Hotel with cutie references to floors, dryer, etc., but this one does not belong to any hotel chains, I believe. Over all, we really liked the hotel, and the room was one of the most comfortable one.

Now here are some cons:
1) Even before using the shower, I noticed that the drain was extremely slow. It was not very nice to take a shower in the pool of water
2) the shower pressure was weak as I could not change the water from faucet to shower completely. 50% of water was not coming up to the shower.
3) no water in the faucet at the basin although the hot water side was working.

It was late at night, so I told the front staff these problems in the morning. By the time we came back in the afternoon, I was skeptical, but all was fixed!

4) The wall is paper thin. I mean, paper-thin. You can hear everything. If a neighbor gets an email, you hear that tone. We got new neighbors one afternoon, and I believe they had no idea how thin the wall was. It was completely embarrassing when we started to hear screams. We could not help bursting into laughter (sorry!) So remember that the wall is paper thin!
5) They had the radio clock, Tivoli, but I could not find the USB port to charge our iPhone and iPod. OK, I am not a hipster I guess. And the three electric outlets were all used. So we had to turn off one table lamp to use the outlet for iPod, and the iPhone was plugged away from the bed - inconvenient. So where was an USB on the clock radio????
6) I am a serious recycler. In the room, there was one garbage bin in the bathroom, and there was one bin with the recycle mark on in the bedroom. I had this dilemma - should I throw away things in the bathroom as the bin in the room had the recycle mark on? I left a note to the wonderful clearing people to alert them that there were recyclables in the bin in the room.

Now PROS:
1) the hotel room was very comfortable. One of the best as far as the comfort is concerned. The beddings, pillows, and a bathrobe were all great. Also the towels were fluffy and soft. When you think about it, many hotel towels are not soft! I loved the thick yet light weight bathrobe.
2) Loved the Nespresso machine in the room. Easy to use and make a great cup of espresso although it was very noisy.
3) You cannot beat the location! Many great restaurants around.
4) Our room was not facing the streets, so we did not have any problem with the noises (well, except from the neighbor.)
5) Free wifi was great even though we had to log in everyday.
6) Some reviewers did not seem to like the hardwood floor, but I loved it! Very comfortable to bare feet!

So over all, we are happy with the hotel. Very dean and very comfortable with great amenities. I do not think this hotel is suitable for a family with young kids though.

Room Tip: If you would like a quiet room, ask for a room on a higher floor away from the elevator, and not fac...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family