“Clean budget lodging” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #135 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Carlsbad, California
“Clean budget lodging”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We recently spent 3 nights at the Royal Pacific Motor Inn, and although I was nervous based on some reviews, I was happy with our stay. Some reviews mention the seedy area. The overall area isn't bad at all, BUT as we drove down Broadway, I got very nervous - a block or two before the hotel is a small "red-light" area, with a good amount of strip clubs. My 14 yo son thought it was pretty funny, my 11 yo daughter didn't notice. The block it's in is fine, though, with restaurants, another hotel and some markets and stores. You might want to check it out on Google streetview, though, and see if it is in your comfort zone.

The room itself was fine. Since there are 4 of us in a room, it took me a while to find a hotel with queen beds, rather than doubles. The beds are true queens, and big enough for 2 to share. It is rather dated, but scrupulously clean. We got a 5th floor room on the back side, and found it very quiet. The free parking was a huge savings - other hotels were charging around $45 - $55 a night. The free wifi was predictably slow, but that is typical of hotel wifi.

For what it is - a budget hotel in a tourist city - we were very pleased. If you are looking for luxury with lots of amenities, you might need to look elsewhere and pay more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor away from Broadway if you want a quiet night.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We enjoyed our night here in this clean motel steps away from Chinatown and Little Italy. Although parking is free, the lot is tiny and is frequently full, so it cannot be counted on. The room was comfortable and reasonably quiet and the beds were comfortable. Not fancy, but certainly a bargain -- we were pleased.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is on the border of Chinatown & Little Italy. There is an abundance of good food within walking distance, but not fast food chains. Room was spotless, front counter staff could not have made us feel more welcome! This is an older property that has been well maintained. Don't judge it by the pictures! Would return again!

• Stayed May 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I spent nearly two weeks here recently. The good: Parking is included! (a bargain for central San Fran). Location is excellent, in china town, 10mins walk to the ferry building, 10mins to Union square and 15mins to Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39. Free Wifi. Coin operated laundry. The bad: Well there isn't anything bad really which is how I'd like to sum it up. The rooms are dated but clean. Walls are too thin perhaps. No aircon but a very effective and noisy fan heater. It's a 70's motel still sporting a 70's style in the middle of a built up area. Bizarre. Go in with your eyes open. But if you want 1)parking and 2)free wifi at a 3) low price in a 4)very convenient location for discovering San Fran then it's very hard to beat.

Room Tip: Go for a lowish floor - you can use the steps and avoid the elevator then if you so wish. Also choo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I was intrigued by all the positive reviews I read about this hotel but when my friend and I arrived, we were very disappointed! First of all, for $170 a night for 2 people, accommodations and even location should have been much better. Our room had an awful smell when we came in. It smelled like burnt rubber. We tried to change to another room on a different floor but there was the same smell there too!!! It was so bad that people next door to us were sitting with their door open to "air out the room" because their room had the same smell. Then, my friend went to take a shower and literally got stuck because the shower door was completely broken. I had to rescue her! The door was never fixed and we just kept it open out of frustration. We checked out the very following day and went to a motel that wasn't too far away but was cheaper, much nicer and also had the free parking. Last but not least, in a hurry to get out of there, I forgot my phone charger in the room and when I called an hour or so later, they said they never found anything. I don't really believe they even looked for it which is very sad. Basically, I vote a no on this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Placerville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

My husband and I chose this as a cheap one-night option for visiting some friends in town on business. The location was perfect and the fact that they had FREE PARKING definitely sealed the deal - the parking even accommodated our big pickup truck! The rooms aren't the nicest ever, but they didn't make my skin crawl like some cheap-o hotels I've stayed in before. I actually loved the fact that it was in Chinatown; so much diversity, movement, markets! Upon stumbling back to our hotel that night we even discovered a hole-in-the-wall burger and pizza joint across the street. We walked into Sam's Burgers and Pizza to discover it was recommended by Anthony Bourdain on his show "The Layover." Not only are the burgers county fair worthy, but the mix of people coming in and out was so much fun! I made friends with an Algerian who spoke French and is often confused for Russian. Ha! You never know what you'll get in the City on the Bay. One downside to the motor inn: they say breakfast included, but that translates to "two packaged honey buns sitting on the table in your room." Oh well, you saved on parking and now you can splurge on breakfast out!

Room Tip: We were tucked back on the first floor behind the office and I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, AK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

I stayed here for two nights with some friends when we came into town for a football game. The Royal Pacific is located at the north end of Chinatown and just south of Little Italy. Staff was very friendly and check-in and check-out was very quick. They also had free maps of the city available in the lobby.

Room had two queen beds, a table with two chairs. There were plenty of towels in the bathroom. A door separated the sink area to the bath tub/toilet. Our room was not noisy at night, and had no problems with temperature. Furniture is a bit outdated, but everything was clean.

We did not have a car but parking is free. A BART station or the trolley system is not within a block, but several bus stops are located right by the hotel.

This may not be the best place to stay for an expensive honeymoon, but is a great deal for the price and location. There are quite a few restaurants and bakeries open late near the hotel. I will stay here again for future trips to the city.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Royal Pacific Motor Inn? Share your experiences!