“Perfect Place to Stay in SF” 5 of 5 stars

Book Now and Save 15%
Ranked #19 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, Texas
“Perfect Place to Stay in SF”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I had never been to San Francisco and was so impressed by the helpfulness of the staff in figuring out the best ways to maneuver the cable car and bus systems with our muni passes. It is very well located within walking distance of everything. The room was always immaculate, loved the turn down service, and the beds, pillows, and sheets were very comfortable. I slept soundly all 5 nights that we were there. Even though there appeared to be many guests staying there, the halls were very quiet. I attribute this to the unique layout of room locations. Price was excellent. Next trip, I'm definitely choosing The Orchard for lodging.

Green Features: This was impressive. Their system of key insertion to save electricity from being wasted is very smart.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Bruce P, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Laura J,

On behalf of the entire team at the Orchard Garden Hotel we are pleased to read that your stay was wonderful!

Thank you for sharing your kind words with Trip Advisor. Our team works diligently around the clock to make sure each of our guests have a stay as perfect as yours. Your comments will be shared with our entire team to ensure they receive your positive feedback.

Lastly, thank you again and we also agree that our hotel is “The Perfect Place to Stay in SF”.

1,050 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The hotel is in a great downtown location...if you are willing to walk (20-30 min) you can get anywhere (we suggest renting bikes!). We walked to AT&T Park for a game, Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square, Pier 39, and to several great places to eat nearby. Service was excellent. Rooms are a bit small, but that's expected in San Francisco. The price was ok...I would have to visit other hotels in the area to get a better idea...so no real comment there.

Dear Jeremy W,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with Trip Advisor. I have to agree with you and that our hotel is in a wonderful location to get nearly anywhere in the city by walking or biking!

We are pleased to read that you have found our hotel provided excellent service. As a whole our team strives for excellence and to exceed our guest expectations.

On behalf of the whole team at Orchard Garden Hotel we really appreciate your remarks.

White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Location, staff, and rooms were great. I did a lot of research to find the perfect hotel and the Orchard Garden fit the bill in every way.

We drove passed the Orchard Garden and ended up 2 blocks away at the sister hotel with a similar name. An employee there gave us great directions to return up to the correct hotel.

We arrived very early and we were fortunately provided a room. The rooms were large (from a city perspective), were nicely appointed, lovely comfortable bedding and a safe & coffee service. The location is amazing being close to everything and transit was a bonus, In San Francisco be prepared to 1) walk up hills, 2) dress warm and 3) pay $42 a night for hotel parking (not unusual).

The front staff is very helpful and professional. - every one of them. Grave at the front reception was able to secure us a seat at a nearby restaurant on July 4th. Happy Hour at the Orchard was affordable with cocktails and free applies. Meals we didn't try only because there ate so many cheaper options in the area.

No complaints, only fond memories.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Collins C, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for the great words on our staff, I will make it a point to share your feedback with the team here especially to Grace. We are glad you also felt the room well-appointed and have lived up to your expectations. As you mentioned, our location is just amazing with easy access to most of the main attractions. We are so pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the nearest future.
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Didn't stay here because my meeting was postponed a week but they charged me for 1 night's stay anyway--$440--because I cancelled 20 hours ahead rather than 24 which is their "policy." Did they rent the room anyway? Would a reputable hotel do this? Shouldn't the 1 night's stay cancellation fee have been waived? They refused to be reasonable. Avoid this place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear 699 Traveler,

After reading your comment on Trip Advisor I did want to take time to reply to your questions and concerns. Most reputable hotels have a cancellation policy that they adhere to in which case you are correct in stating that our cancellation policy is 24 hours prior to arrival. Orchard Garden Hotel is pleased to offer this cancellation policy as other hotels have a 72 hour cancellation policy.

Please feel free to contact me at your convenience to discuss using your cancellation fee toward a future deposit during your next visit at our beautiful hotel. You may contact me directly at 415-399-9807.

Thank you for your comment and I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Germantown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the Orchard Garden for 5 days last week. It is a great hotel!! I arrived early around 11am but they had a room available for no additional charge even though check-in was at 3pm. Be aware that they do put a $350 hold (pending charge) on your card for "incidentals". But I was not charged and the charge went away after I left.

It is in a great location. It was only about 3 blocks from Union Square (best shopping ever!). And there were no big hills. It is also right next to Chinatown. The room was small (king interior room) but it had everything you needed except a free refrigerator. The bathroom was large. I wish there was stronger water pressure in the shower. There was a shower cap, soap lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and body wash provided. The bed was very comfortable. The hotel and room was very very very clean and quiet. I was in room 203 and it wasn't noisy at all. Every time I returned to the hotel I was greeted with a smile and welcomed back and when the doors closed behind me it was zen. I was disappointed that the restaurant wasn't open. The air conditioning in the hotel was great. It is an eco-friendly hotel which I love. There are notes that encourage recycling and reusing towels and sheets but there were no issues with getting what I needed.

One day I slept in a little late and didn't leave out until noon. I had a do not disturb on my door but I still received a call from housekeeping asking if I wanted the room cleaned. I really appreciate they were trying to do their job but I thought do not disturb means do not disturb. I felt like I had to get out or my room would not be cleaned. But if I needed anything it was brought to me within minutes of me calling. One day the housekeeping staff was getting off early to be with their families. Its nice they care about their staff. We received a nice note the day before and we were told the hours they would be available. Even though there were limited hours, anything I needed was still brought to me promptly.

Also there was a fire alarm around 7 am one morning and of course no one looked happy but things happen and I was happy nothing was wrong (I think a smoke detector went off in the kitchen?) and everyone got out safely and quickly. And we got back in quickly.
Overall I would definitely stay here again when I am in San Francisco. I was torn between Orchard Garden, their sister hotel The Orchard and the Argonaut at the wharf. But I am glad I chose the Garden because I received excellent customer service. It was a clean hotel in a quiet location with no hills and it was close to everything.

Green Features: I thought their practices were great and I didn't feel like I received less because of it. There were recycling bins in the room and we were encouraged to reuse.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay with us. While we are happy to hear that you have liked our well-appointed guest room; and that you found it very clean and quiet. We are also glad that you liked the hotel location and are pleased with the arrival experience. Thank you for the comments about the housekeeping service. We assured you that they have been addressed to the concerned department for their attentions and improvement. We value guest’s feedback, they allow us to improve our service to not only meet but exceed our guests’ expectations. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconveniences caused from the fire alarm. We are indeed so released that it turned out to be a false alarm only. One of our main goals here is to ensure the safety for all of our guests. We really appreciate your understanding on this matter, and is delighted to hear that you will definitely come back to stay with us again. Once again, we value your patronage and comments. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Pickering, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Rated this a four only because there wasn't much to do at the hotel itself. Restaurant was only open for breakfast and a bit pricey. Otherwise, a fabulous experience. Beds were great and comfortable. Front desk was extremely helpful regardless of who you spoke to. Tina was excellent recommending a number of different spots around town. Artie was a great concierge also with fantastic recommendations and a great way to get sports news in the morning. Went out of his way to arrange a car to the airport for my wife and I and friends who were staying here.
Hotel location was great with short walks to many points of interest. No car required.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Collins C, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for the review on our property, specifically our staff. We must admit, we are extremely lucky to have a team of employee’s that sincerely care about our guests and their experience. The entire team works together with one goal in mind; OUR GUEST. We assure you to share your positive feedback with the staffs here especially to Tina and Art. Thanks again for taking the time to do this. We hope to see you again in the nearest future.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Orchard Garden Hotel is conveniently located near China Town. It is a short walk to Union Square, and 15 min walk to the Market. We had no car so I cannot comment on parking. The hotel itself I would rate a 4.5 out of 5 overall but gave it a 5 because the service was great and rooms were clean.
check in was a breeze-and we did not have this $500 hold on our accounts as mentioned only the $100/150 held on your credit card which was cleared when we checked out. We booked through expedia. Tina was very friendly and extremely helpful on places to eat around the hotel. Posh Bagel great place for a quick breakfast and great coffee, which is around the corner. I really don't understand why people were saying the staff was rude because they were not to us. They were all exceptionally helpful. The rooms were smaller than most hotels but clean. I am fussy when it comes to clean and it met my standards. Ok -when I looked outside I saw the other building but that was because I didn't pay for street view and we were exploring San Francisco all day so I didn't care. They turned down the bed at night and left chocolate on the pillows. There is a coffee maker/safe/tv and free wifi. Beds were comfortable and both my husband and I have back problems. Overall a good hotel and I would not hesitate to stay again or recommend to any of my friends and family. Arti arranged for a car to take us to the airport for $60 for the 4 of us. Great Service and Nice Staff and NO BED BUGS! The restaurant is only open at breakfast and we did not eat there. It was on the pricey side so we decided to eat elsewhere. The only suggestion I have for the hotel is to put he prices down so people will eat there.
Walk to the market 15 minutes to the hotel and explore the different stores-great cheese place, blue bottle coffee was good, great bakery there.
Alcatraz was unbelievable-book your tickets early on the internet. It is very organized -bring a jacket because it is cold and damp. Also bring water.
ZIG ZAG Street-20-25 minute walk but a must see-if you drive long lineup to drive down it.
ZA Pizza on Lombard street small but great place to eat Pizza.
The Trolley was amazing $6.00 a person.
Drive or walk the Golden Gate bridge.
Bring your running shoes as it is very hilly and steep but the view and landscape is beautiful.

Room Tip: If you want a streets view ask for it otherwise you may be looking at the building brick next door...