“Great hotel in great location” 5 of 5 stars

Book a Free Breakfast PKG
Ranked #19 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Merritt Island, Florida
“Great hotel in great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Couldn't have asked for more from a city centre hotel - ten paces from China Town - opposite is a good Irish pub - hop on hop off bus stop across the road - French restaurant over the street.
Realy GREAT staff - super value- valet parking at $42 per day - nice rooms

• Stayed February 2014
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for the great review; we truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the property and location. I enjoy the Irish Bank as well, for a warm shepherd’s pie and a cool beverage after work.
The hop on – hop off bus is an excellent way to tour the city. It is nice to be able to get off in the neighborhoods you would like to explore more thoroughly. I am glad to read you were able to take advantage of this feature during your San Francisco expedition.
Cheers,
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

The hotel is nicely decorated and has a fresh, slightly hip, feel about it. The location is convenient, next to Chinatown, a few blocks to Union Square, and the area is pleasant to walk around with plenty of Chinese, Italian and French restaurants and (dodgy) antique dealers. Staff are friendly and efficient. Breakfast is very good. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you so much for the very kind feedback, I enjoyed reading your comment and look forward to sharing it with the rest of the team. I too am fond of the location; I am pleased to read you took advantage of all the fun things to see and try nearby. With so many dining options within walking distance, I am glad you joined us for breakfast. As I am sure you know it is the most important meal of the day, especially before exploring The City. All of us here hope to see you again in the near future.
Cheers,
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

A good hotel in one of the more pleasant, safer areas of downtown SF, close to Chinatown and the big brand boutiques on Grant Avenue. I stayed on two occasions and found very clean rooms with good size bathrooms. I especially liked the comfy beds, which ensured a good night's rest. I didn't need housekeeping, but they were very diligent in checking to see if the room needed to be serviced.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you so much for the very kind review; we truly appreciate you sharing your experience. I am very pleased to read the hotel was to your liking and that you felt safe in the neighborhood. Thank you for commending our housekeeping team. Their work is meticulously thorough ensuring rooms are in tip top shape and I cannot wait to share your review with them. All of us here hope to see you again on your third visit to San Francisco.
Best,
Dallas, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel! Great location, just outside Chinatown, a couple blocks from union square, I was never far away from anything. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends! I especially like their green initiative, reusable soap and shampoo bottles and recycle bins in every room. I was very happy with my stay here!

• Stayed January 2014
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you so much for the very kind review. I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your visit. It sounds like you got see many of the sites that San Francisco offers. I appreciate you pointing out some of your favorite “green” features. We try very hard to be an eco-friendly hotel and we are very excited to be renewing our LEED certification and Green Seal approval. Even with the extra criteria of new LEED checklist, we are confident of recertification and maybe even a higher level.
Thanks again for the positive feedback and for recommending us to your friends. All of us here look forward to your next visit.
All the best,
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

On the surface, there is a lot you should like here from reading all the other reviews, and the eco-friendly approach. However, it fails on several pet peeves:

Internet. Rather than just say “s----l----o----w” I did a speed test and got readings ranging from 0.26mbps to a high of 0.72 mbps. Most in the 0.4-0.5 range. Hard to do much more than text email at those speeds. Dial-up runs at 0.53 (nominally 0.56) so welcome to 1992. Allow several seconds for each page to load. This is on a new laptop, by the way, so the problem was not my equipment. Really misleading to imply there is high-speed internet. It's pretty much unusable. From the reviews, I’m not the only one with this problem.

Television. Nothing like a high def flat panel TVs with an analog signal. Worse yet, you can’t fix the aspect ratio so everything is a 4x3 image squished to a 16x9 ratio. Bad resolution and a funhouse mirror effect. Programs broadcast in high def come out letterboxed squished. Controller very slow. Reasonable channel selection, though.

Workspace. The desk is only 18” deep and half the reasonably wide space is taken up with phones, coffeepot, lamps, minibar stuff. No pull out workspaces like you find at Marriott and Hilton. Chair is not adjustable and a little short to work comfortably. Lamp is a weak 60w equivalent cfl that does not shine on the open workspace. Room lamp light bulb plug not working (yes key was in the activation switch). Working in the dark is eco-friendly I guess. Clearly designed by someone who maybe has never traveled on business.

Business Center. Two PCs running Windows XP and Office 2010. Shared b&w laser printer. Odd request on the monitor to use Firefox and not Explorer, yet there is an Explorer shortcut. No available usb port to print from a thumb drive...you have to crawl under the table on your hands and knees and find one in the dark on the back of the machine. "My computer" disabled on one machine so you can't really access your flash files anyway. However, there is a front-accessible 3.5 inch floppy drive! It's 1992 again!

OK-lets be fair. Some plusses. Craft beer in the mini-bar! Counter space in the bathroom. Recycle bins. Bed comfortable. Clean. Location is very convenient.

I generally find Tripadvisor to be spot-on. I don’t know how so many others had such a great impression given several glaring misses. There are several deal-breakers here. Fix them (none are hard to address) and this would be a good place.

Green Features: I applaud the approach. More hotels could and should do this. Especially liked the recycle bin.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We truly value your feedback; your input will help us improve our services. You might be happy to know we have already begun to remedy some of the pet peeves you mentioned above. As I previously mentioned our downloading speed was 1.5 megabytes per second. After speaking with our internet provider we have decided to increase the bandwidth and downloading speed to 3.0 megabytes per second.
Our next step is to do what we can to update our Business Center. Even though 1992 was a good year, it does not mean our equipment should reflect that era. We will do our best to get it up speed and more USB friendly.
I am also sorry to read the TV was strike. We were very excited to have our channel list recently updated. Clearly there is some room for improvement.
We will continue to address the other issues one step at a time, and hope to have them resolved before your next trip to San Francisco.
Kind regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Back here a year later and had hoped that things would have improved. This hotel is clean, the rooms comfortable and the staff friendly; however the internet does not work well and the laundry service is poor.

Last year they promised that when I returned next time, these issues would be sorted.
Makes it an impossible place to stay for a business traveler.
To make matters worse, to be asked to call their internet support team to sort out my room connection is unacceptable. I will not be coming back.

Room Tip: get as close to the router as possible
Green Features: environmental idea is clever and makes sense...not just a gimmick
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience, we truly value your feedback. I am very sorry that your visit was less than satisfactory and the wifi was not suitable for your needs. As promised, we did increase our bandwidth last year and improved our downloading speed to 1.5 megabytes per second. After sharing your review, our internet provider and us, have decided to augment the bandwidth again and boost the downloading speed to 3.0 megabytes per second. I believe this will be vast improvement.

Although I am very pleased to read the staff was friendly, I sincerely apologize you were asked to call technical support. From time to time a device cannot log into the network. The offsite IT department is able to manually input an IP address into the network; unfortunately we are unable to do this from the front desk.

I regret to read you will not be coming back. We do try to provide the best service possible. If you ever need a place to stay while in San Francisco you are always welcome here. Please feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to personally take care of your reservation.

All the best,
415-399-9807
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

The location of Orchard Garden is perfect for discovering San Francisco. Close to everything, good bus lines nearby, within walking distance to Westfield shopping mall. Very nice and helpful staff, housekeeping perfect with perfect rooms, nice touch to be a "green hotel" indeed, and the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in! Can recommend Roxanne cafe two blocks up for breakfast, or even better - take the Hyde-cable car to Nook Café, which was a real pearl!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Orchard Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!