“Great place to stay in SF” 4 of 5 stars

Book Now and Save 15%
Ranked #19 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Elmsford, New York
“Great place to stay in SF”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed at the Orchard Garden Hotel (not to be confused with its sister hotel: the Orchard Hotel just up the street one or two blocks) as part of a package deal we booked with Orbitz. The facilities are more than adequate-- clean, safe, spacious. The staff at the front desk has been very helpful, especially Ruby, who assisted me when I needed to unexpectedly communicate via fax with my mother's doctor back in New York. There was also another front-desk worker whose name I did not catch (a young, thin, pretty woman of Asian descent) who went over and above and gave my travel partner a little box of chocolates when I mentioned that it was her birthday.

We had a double room and it was pleasantly large, bright, and attractively decorated. The hotel itself is ranked as a "green" hotel which works toward energy-saving electricity practices and in-room recycling bins (very much appreciated!). There is a little card on the bedside table that says they will sponsor the planting of a tree for each review they receive-- hopefully this one will spark a new tree's long life!

Just like at any downtown hotel, we could hear street traffic from our room up on the 6th floor, but it wasn't anything unexpected or unbearable. The room looked very clean except for some black mold located inside of the minifridge on the shelves and other surfaces... kind of gross for such a high class hotel, but I'm sure if I had complained they would have sent someone to clean it or switch it out for another one... but it just wasn't that important to me. The bathroom and living areas were always kept very clean which was much more important to me.

Loved the green efforts... would encourage a recycle separator in the lobby just as they have in the guest rooms to continue on with the posted green efforts instead of having to throw out a glass bottle into the lobby trash. That must also mean that the in-lobby restaurant doesn't recycle? If not, shame on them!

Pros:
-Location-- just steps from Chinatown's red gates, easy walking to most anything else in the city
-Spacious and attractively decorated
-Green
-Very helpful staff
-Quite clean in the bathrooms and living/sleeping areas
-Pretty rooftop deck, great for an evening drink or to bring your breakfast to from the café across the street.
-Delicious ice water with orange slices in the lobby. Sounds silly but I kept refilling my water bottle with it-- very tasty and refreshing!

Cons:
-Cost-- if booked without our package deal the room rates are somewhere along the lines of $260-300 per night... but then again, you get what you pay for and we got a great hotel.
-Not enough space for our clothing. Just two drawers plus the closet were the only places we had to unpack our clothes for the week... adequate for shorter trips, but for two ladies staying a week it was just shy of too little room.
-No pool/spa

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you so much for the stellar review and choosing to stay with us for your ladies getaway. I truly appreciate your kind words regarding the front desk team. I feel very fortunate to work with such an enthusiastic crew. Ruby and I have worked together for many years and she is definitely an asset to our success.

I am pleased to read you recognize our efforts as a LEED certified hotel to be environmentally conscious. The divided bins in the rooms are actually one of my favorite features. It is such a simple thing to do and it gets our guests involved. We did not put them in the lobby to relieve the area of clutter. But rest assured we have all three bins in the back office and kitchen. As an extra preventive measure we sort through all refuse down stairs.

I am very sorry about the mold you came across in the mini bar. I have shared your concern with housekeeping and the minibar staff to ensure all fridges all cleaned regularly.
Thanks again, and we would absolutely delighted to host your next getaway.

Kind regards

1,059 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I dont have one bad thing to say! Family vacation with an 11 year old. We didn't have a car and rode the bus, which took a little getting used to, but it is so cheap and gets you anywhere. The beds were great, had no problem sleeping which has never happened to me in a hotel. Very quiet on the 3rd floor. Wonderful stay, would recommend to everyone.

• Stayed June 2013
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you so much for the amazing review. We are delighted to be part of your family vacation. I always recommend public transportation to guests. Not only is it cheaper but it is less hassle as well. I am thrilled the bedding is to your liking, I guess there is a first for everything. All of us here truly appreciate your feedback and we would be ecstatic to host your next SF family vacation.

Cheers
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights with my sister, Mother, and daughter
The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Perfect location
Very quite and clean Turn down service in the evening with wonderful chocolates
Yes I would recommend to friends and family

Room Tip: Room 710 larger with a couch
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to with us for the girls get away. I am so happy you all enjoyed your stay and the late night chocolate snack. There is nothing better than a clean and quite room to return to after a day of sightseeing. I truly appreciate you recommending our Hotel to the rest of your family, we can’t wait to meet them all.

All the best,
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Spent four nights here this month - overall we were really pleased with our stay - the hotel is in great location , making all of the areas of SF really accesible. Room was larger than expected but by no means huge - what did impress me was the level of cleanliness and the effort being made to be environmentally friendly - bed was very comfortable and room was quiet apart from street cleaning at 5.30am each day. We didnt interact with staff much as we spent very little time in the hotel as there was so much to do outside it ! Staff that we did talk to were helpful and curteous. I would stay here again as it is excellent value for a city centre hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
All of us here at the Orchard Garden Hotel are thrilled you chose to stay with us for your San Francisco adventure. The location is ideal, centrally located but not right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the city. Thank you for noticing our efforts to be environmentally conscious, we try very hard to reduce waste and save energy. We are consistently challenging ourselves to be even more “green”. I appreciate you kind review and we would be delighted to welcome you back again soon.

Regards
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our short stay here from start to finish was perfect. The hotel has a very clean and up market feel. It is located only doors away from China Town and a couple of blocks from Union Square. Would recommend this hotel as the staff are friendly and the location is hard to beat.

Green Features: The hotel prides itself on 'environmentally friendly' practices and I would have to say it lives up to it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you so much, we truly appreciate your kind words. I am very pleased the hotel and location were to your liking. Our housekeeping works thoroughly to keep the hotel standards at a high. The front office team truly enjoys being part of our guest’s vacations, sharing restaurant recommendations and things to do in the city. Again, we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and thankful for recommending us.

All the best,
Lyme, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Quiet, clean, rooms a little larger than most boutique hotels. Friendly staff. Nice rooftop deck and garden!

Only complaint: Wifi made me sign in every time, and wouldn’t work at all on one of my four devices.

Green Features: We kept hanging up the towels. They kept changing them, anyway.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the very nice review. I am pleased to read the Hotel property was to your liking and that you took advantage of the rooftop terrace. It is so peaceful up there and it has been truly enjoyable with the weather we have been having lately. I am very sorry about the issues you experienced with the wi-fi. As of now, devices need to log back on if it is not in use for an hour or longer. We are currently working with HIS (internet provider) to see what can be done about that time frame. Hopefully this will be resolved before the next time you visit San Francisco.

Kind regards
Westminster, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights May 17-18 at the end of a driving trip on the beautiful Pacific Coast Highway from Yosemite National Park. There were many activities going on in SF that weekend and unfortunately we paid the highest rates ever of our past 4 visits to San Francisco at $320/night. This was our first time at the Orchard Garden Hotel. The room on the 6th floor overlooking the street was very quiet, clean, minibar, free wi-fi, with a comfy bed and quality bedding which is a must! Bathroom was spacious, clean and had very nice amenities. Staff was very polite and knowledgeable, A++. It is close to China Town, Union Station, a few blocks uphill to the cable cars, Uncle Vito's & Sears for breakfast. I never eat at hotels and San Fran is full of wonderful places to eat so take advantage! There is a wonderful French restaurant within walking distance and an awesome Irish pub/restaurant across the street in what used to be an old bank in the alley. Felt safe here even at night. Our flight did not leave until the afternoon and we requested a late check-out, which they politely accommodated. I would recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Get a room higher up facing the street, it's more quiet with a view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I am thrilled you chose to stay with us during your PCH adventure. All of us here enjoy the opportunity to be part of our guest’s vacations, special occasions and even quick getaways. I feel very fortunate to work with such an enthusiastic team. I am also very pleased you took advantage of the location for a culinary tour of the city. I hope you got to try the Sheppard’s Pie at the Irish Bank; it is one of my favorites. Not sure when you are planning on visiting the West Coast again but we would be delighted to have you stay us again.

Cheers
Front Office Manager

Been to Orchard Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!