“Good location, excellent service from friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

Book Now and Save 15%
Ranked #19 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Wellington, New Zealand
“Good location, excellent service from friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed at the Orchard Garden Hotel en route to New York for the ill-fated 2012 Marathon. This hotel has a very handy and accessible location. It is close to everything and I felt safe walking in the nearby areas at night. Theres a couple of good cafes across the road and you're next to the gateway to Chinatown. The financial district is just down Bush St. and Union Square is only a few blocks away (about 1km). Once at Union Square, you're practically close to everything: Macy's, Apple's iconic store on Stockton St., and shopping Boutiques along Grant and Post Streets. Catching the famous cable car is also a breeze: from the hotel, take a short walk to Union Square and catch the cable car along Powell St.

My room faced Bush St on the 9th floor. I didn't think it was noisy at all. The bed was very comfortable and the room comes with complimentary wifi service. As a hotel that is eco-friendly, it uses a lot of recycled materials and recycling bins. My only complain about our room was the dirty and stained chairs (see photo). I think these chairs should taken out of service. Other than that, my room which was a Superior King was spacious, clean and comfortable. My parents however stayed in a standard king and the room was rather narrow and furnitures are close together.

I was most impressed with the service from the staff at the front desk and the ever so helpful doorman. We were scheduled to check-out and fly to New York the day after Sandy storm. Our flight was cancelled but we wanted to check-out and try our luck for flights at the SFO. Ruby (at the front desk) suggested that we could pay for our stay and book the room for another day, and if we managed to get a flight out of SFO, to call her and she'll cancel the booking at no charge. Her calm and friendly voice was just what we needed when our plans were in chaos. I have never received such an accommodating and friendly service from any hotel staff going to such length. I am genuinely impressed with the staff during my stay and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Thank you so much for the amazing review. I was very pleased to share it with the staff and the rest of the management. I feel very fortunate to get to work with so many enthusiastic people on a daily basis.

It’s nice to read that you were able to see most of San Francisco on foot; it really is the best way to take in the sights. I’m also glad to read you felt safe doing so, guest safety is very important to us.

I apologize that the chair in your room did meet our standards of cleanliness. I’ve addressed your concern with housekeeping and it has been taking care. I’m glad everything else met your expectations and you appreciate our efforts as a “green” hotel. All the thought that went in to the structure and design of the hotel is impressive.
All of us here of the Orchard Garden Hotel hope you visit us again soon.

Happy Holidays

1,060 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

At just one or two blocks off union square, and at about 60% of the price of hotels with similar levels of quality/service/location - there is SO much to love about Orchard Garden.

First - LOCATION - You are right in the middle of everything. Very walkable to just about everything. As stated, Union Square shops like Williams Sonoma and Macys are right there (as are many great restaurants. Chinatown is on the end of the same block. Cable Car line to Fisherman's wharf - 2 blocks. The piers - 4 blocks. BART (to airport and beyond) 2 blocks.

Second - ROOMS/SERVICE - When we booked, the front desk asked if we'd like a towncar from the airport (since it costs the same as a cab b/c the hotel has an arrangement with a service). Of course, we said yes. Our room was a queen-size with ample space - bathroom is very private set off from the main sleeping area. It's also quite large for a standard room. As you'd expect from SF it's very eco friendly, your room key slides into a panel by the door and it controls A/C and lights by automatically turning them off/on when you leave/return. Big comfy down (or down alternative) comforter on a great bed. Quiet atmosphere - not a peep from the hallways or neighboring rooms.

Third - EXTRAS - The restaurant downstairs is delicious. Not San Fran's absolute best, but far better than most hotel restaurants. The rooftop terrace is also very cool - very neat views of the financial district and a great place for chit chat and such. This is the sister hotel of "The Orchard" just down the street - which allows you to also enjoy any of the amenities at that hotel as well. You just need to bring your room key or ask the front desk to call ahead for you.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review and sharing our Union Square secret. All of us are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the Hotel as well as San Francisco. It appears you were able to see most of the city, enjoying some sights and tasting some delightful foods. I’m glad you got a kick out of some of our eco-friendly features such as they key card system, which is an energy saving strategy that cuts energy use by 30%. Hopefully you come to stay with us again soon.

Happy Holidays
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I really like this hotel when traveling solo for work. Quiet, clean, simple. Go to Cafe Presse, French restaurant across the street...great for a frisee salad with lardons and eggs, onion soup with gruyere, and a glass of sancerre, and watch the world go by. Annoyed that more people have discovered it which has driven the prices up higher than they should be. Location is perfection for exploring downtown/Union Square area without being in the nitty gritty of it.Three-star hotel, but very nice. Regular rooms too small for more than two.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
All of us at the Orchard Garden Hotel are happy you enjoyed your stay. I too enjoy Café De La Presse for some people watching and their Croque Madame, mmm. Next time you come back you should check out our rooftop terrace, you’re more than welcome to take a glass of Sancerre up with you. You be surprised how peaceful it is.

Kind regards
Portland OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

A small well located hotel, a few steps down from the gateway to Chinatown. Perfectly located for walking in all directions. Street is quiet for it's location, lots of coffee, good bakery, restaurants nearby. Easy access to airport transport, buses. Hotel has a small lobby, friendly staff, clean modern rooms. Overall a great value. The restaurant feels like an add on with few customers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience with others. I agree it is surprisingly quiet considering the downtown / Union Square location. Despite some the nearby hills the location is extraordinary for walking around and taking in the sights. All of us at the Orchard Garden Hotel hope you come visit us again soon.

Take care
Quinn Mcentee
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Title says it all... I had a fantastic stay in SF for 5 days with my wife and two young daughters. The hotel was wonderful... awesome location sandwiched between the Financial District, Chinatown, and SOMA. Great restaurants and shopping nearby (Sanraku for sushi... yum). Safe neighborhood. Very convenient to subway, bus stops, etc.

Our room was clean, comfortable, and quiet, with a nice roomy bathroom. We had a great view of the neighborhood from the sixth floor.

Be sure to visit the rooftop garden... unfortunately we didn't discover it until our last day, else we'd have spent a lot more time there! Great place to unwind after a day being a tourist.

In a nutshell, it was worthy every penny... thanks to the staff for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Expat in Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My wife and I loved everything about this hotel and our junior suite. A clean, safe beauty with the perfect San Francisco location. Fantastic staff. Comfortable beds, quiet and a spacious, well-lit bathroom. A small and wonderful place to stay. I didn't want to leave and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We were in Junior Suite 606. No view but extremely quiet and a lovely room.