“Comfortable, small hotel, friendly service.” 5 of 5 stars

Book a Free Breakfast PKG
Ranked #16 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Santa Monica
“Comfortable, small hotel, friendly service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Eco-friendly, small hotel near Bush and Kearny in San Francisco. It's in a great neighborhood with lots of restaurants and pubs nearby. My room was comfortable and quiet with free wifi. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I'll be back.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Cambridgeshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Tastefully designed in a contemporary style, this is a lovely, comfortable hotel. My room was a good size with an equally good-sized bathroom. The room had windows on two sides which made it bright and sunny - although as it was at the front of the hotel, there was occasional noise from the street below.
The hotel is within easy (and safe) walking distance of upmarket shopping, plenty of restaurants and bars, Chinatown and the Financial District. It's also close to public transport for access to other parts of the city.
If I had a criticism it was that the gym was tiny: three people would have filled it. So as a long-term business stay it wouldn't work for me. Also, the restaurant and room service weren't available on the one night I needed to stay in my room and do some work. Although a delivery service was available, I would have appreciated some communication about the lack of room service before I'd settled into my room as I really wanted to eat something healthy, not a takeaway pizza or similar and didn't want to have to interrupt my work to go and find something to eat.
Apart from that, I'd definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chevy Chase, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The beds at the Orchard Garden Hotel are simply the most comfortable ever! The location is very convenient if you like to walk. We walked through Chinatown (the hotel is right next to the gate to Chinatown), down to Ghiradelli Square (and carried our chocolate back), through the Italian area, to the Wharf and to many delicious restaurants. The front desk staff (Blue has a very sunny personality!) was very helpful with recommendations for places to go. The night before the Nike Womens Marathon, we ordered room service for risotto. Room service took almost one hour but it was worth the wait. Ask for a quiet room. The rooms on the back side of the hotel as much quieter than the street side. We got a personal best time for the marathon so the stars were lined up for this trip.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the top floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Congratulations on your new personal best time. I’m glad you were able to wake up in time for the marathon; early rising can be a challenge with such a comfy bed. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the Hotel and were able to take advantage of the walking distance to some of San Francisco’s great neighborhoods. Hopefully the stars will realign and we see you next year.

Kind regards
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Need I say more? Mold in fruit for breakfast. Room service offered me replacement but when I declined she said "Sorry about that. OK bye." And hung up. Disappointing. And it's not a cheap room. Won't be coming back.

• Stayed October 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Friendly staff, nice rooms, but the two nights I stayed the fire evacuation alarm went off each night at 3am and 1am. What's even worse is the lack of acknowledgement from the management. I ended up having to go up to them on day one to ask for some kind of compensation from being woken up at 3am. I was given a $10 minibar credit for every night which was decent, but was annoyed how I had to ask for it. The management should have written a note with out confrontation.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank for taking the time to share your experience. Despite the rude awakenings, I’m glad you found the staff and rooms to your liking. The front desk team and I tried to personally apologize to everyone for the alarms. I’m sorry I didn’t have an opportunity to speak with you. We all hope the false alarms don’t deter you from staying with us again; I can assure you they’re not common.
Regards

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We recently stayed at the Orchard Garden Hotel. Actually we stayed a weekend in mid September and returned two weeks later. Service was great, location perfect for shopping restuarants, and downtown, The bedding was lovely, beds were quite comfortable and the room was very clean.The hotel is relatively small which makes it nice and quiet for the guests. Everything you could possibly need was within walking distance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the kind words and for taking the time to write about your visit. I couldn’t agree more, the hotel is perfectly located and it’s nice to come back to a quiet Hotel from the bustle of downtown San Fran. We truly appreciate you staying with us twice in such a short period of time. Hopefully you keep coming back and the Hotel can be your home away from home.

Until then,
Bayfield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Orchard Garden is a "green" hotel, but no shortage on the decor or service to get there. Easy access to Financial District, China Town, Cable Car and Union Square but a little more quiet than many city hotels in the area. The rooms were larger than many boutique hotels too.

Room Tip: The higher the better for less noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you kindly for the nice review. I’m glad to read you enjoyed our “green” ethos as well as the location of the Hotel. I agree it’s extremely easy to get around and there is so much to do within walking distance. We can’t wait for you to visit us again soon.

Kind regards

Front Office Manager

Been to Orchard Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!