“We liked Colibri” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Colibri Mexican Bistro

Colibri Mexican Bistro
438 Geary St, San Francisco, CA 94102-1223 (Union Square)
415-440-2737
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Colibri Mexican Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #209 of 5,102 Restaurants in San Francisco
Transit: #38 Geary Bus
Hudson, New York
“We liked Colibri”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Colibri is a really, really good restaurant. Full of locals having a good time, and we had good food here. Rack of lamb and lamb shanks for us that night! The place was a little hard to relax in though as it was hard to figure out who was running the place, who was our server, food runner and manager...not that any of that usually matters, but for some reason at Colibri, it all felt a little chaotic or rushed. Go here though, and enjoy really good food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sydney
“Great experience again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I dined at Colibri last time I was in San Francisco so I was very eager to go back again when I returned. I made a booking a few weeks in advance to ensure we got a good table. I had raved about this restaurant to mother so I was very keen to bring her here. It did not disappoint. From the cocktails to the entrees to the desserts, everything tasted fantastic. We especially loved the lamb shank. It was divine. We don't get Mexican food like this in Australia. I can't wait to come back again when I am next in San Francisco.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Washington
“Good food, disappointing service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Dinner was very good (especially loved the guacamole) and service was friendly and engaging. The only downside was that food came out VERY slowly -- not sure if that was just because it was after 8 pm on a Saturday night, or if that's usual. Our server was nice, but I was frustrated to wait so long for each part of the meal (long wait after ordering drinks and before ordering entrees, long wait for dessert and coffee to arrive).

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Excellent Mexican food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Colibri has the best tortillas ever. The food was really good, but the tortillas... Great margaritas with many choices of tequila. I hate going to a mexican restaurant and getting tex mex. Colibri is the real deal. I highly recommend!

Visited January 2013
Chicago
“Excellent Mexican--Not Texican-- Option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Have seen this comment on other reviews, and this is a definite step up from what most tytpical mexican places offer. Good range of choices on the Menu; I had Cochinita Pibil and the Fish Ceviche. Ceviche was a little pricey, but you got a big bowl and it was perfectly made and very classic in the approach. The Pibil, an old standby, was well-made and attractively served. The margarita was very good and not from a premade bottle. I would definitely go back. The old movies are a little strange, and the background music wasn't necessarily Latin, but the vibe was good nonetheless.

• Visited January 2013