“Small with good service good food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sauce

Sauce
131 Gough St, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Hayes Valley)
415-252-1369
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sauce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #502 of 5,007 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Cross street: Oak and Page
Transit: BART: Civic Center station; Muni Metro: Van Ness; Muni Market Street Trolley 'F' Line: Gough St.; Muni Bus Stop: 6,7,66,71
Description: At Sauce: Gough we serve what we like to call "Social Cuisine" - American comfort fare so good you'll want everyone at the table to try a bite. It's shared food without the tiny plates. Come sample Chef Ben's creations along with some drinks in the intimate Supper Club; cozy up to the beautiful redwood bar for a signature cocktail; or, enjoy a meal in the bustling main dining room. Experience what happens when Comfort Food meets California Cuisine — it could be our Tomato Bisque with white truffle grilled cheese sticks; Portobello mushroom fries; or our signature applewood-smoked-bacon wrapped meatloaf, something is sure to tickle your fancy. Located just a few blocks from the civic center in Hayes Valley, Sauce: Gough is the welcoming result of three partners' desire to create a comfortable spot for drinking and dining. Pre-Show, post-show and for all your private events Sauce is the place. Stop by for dinner any night between 5pm and Midnight and see for yourself; what’s cooking
Napa, California
“Small with good service good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We chose this spot as it is walking distance to the Davies Symphony Hall. It is tiny...and unfortunately it was hot in San Francisco, rare, and many places are not air-conditioned, Sauce being one! But we will return as the food and service was worth taking off our jackets! We tried the Wonton, Shrimp and Calamari as apps, all were fresh as delicious, then tomato bisque with little "grilled cheese" sandwiches, and a bourbon sauced pork chop...finished by sharing and ice cream sandwich that was great. Try this little spot I think you will like it before or after the symphony!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“Get the Sampler!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I havent been to Sauce in years but Cudos to them for not taking the sampler off the dessert menu. I was looking forward to it and there it was just as I remembered.

The food was great years ago and I will definitely be back. BTW they serve dessert until 2am and food until 1am!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Eugene, Oregon
“Creative menu and excellent atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Wow. We stayed at Sleep Over Sauce and ate here after the shows for late dinners and snacks. So good! I strongly recommend the veggie strudel and tomato basil soup. My husband loved the ham mac 'n' cheese. Great service, too. These people are cool. Loved how they served the wine. Oh and the mini smores were great. It is a very creative menu, I'd have to say and great atmosphere.

Visited August 2013
Houston, Texas
“Salmon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I visited San Francisco about once a year. And last time when I was there I got the recommendation from local people to go to this place. I'm glad I came. I love the salmon came with spinach & bacon salad. It was so tasty. I will be back again when I visit SF.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Worcester, United Kingdom
“delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

stumbled on this place on my first night in san fran. busy but managed to get a table. had a smaller portion of chilli as a starter. husband had clam chowder, which was some of the best outside new england. very impressed with the first course. vegetable strudel followed, which was delicious. asparagus, mushroom in tomato sauce. husband had chicken with green beans and potato which was juicy and cooked to perfection. the staff were lovely too. the only thing is, it is a little pricey, but the quality is high and a lot of it is organic and local.

• Visited June 2013